Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
there isn't a DNA test to confirm it

Actually, it is possible to obtain a very good estimate of the locality of many races of GTPs using current molecular analysis techniques.
Matt

I would love to kno what locality or cross was used for the blue one it's amazing!If it were pure a head shot next to onee of the Aussies would be interesting to see.Also interesting that it's been mentioned many times Aussie greens haave the white dotted dorsal area to some degree yet those definite pure as Aussies have none.

Yeah, As I recall most female GTP's "Blue" before laying. Some retain this blue for longer periods of time after laying. I think this may be the case for this particular animal.

flavirufus said:
there isn't a DNA test to confirm it

Actually, it is possible to obtain a very good estimate of the locality of many races of GTPs using current molecular analysis techniques.
Matt

I think a bloke by the name of David Wilson was doing a comparison of DNA, Mitochondrial or whatever, between PNG and its surrounding islands and Aussies for his PHD at ANU. Don't know whether the results where conclusive. ( I haven't read any papers on it, thats why I can't say)

Cheers Rossco.

Hi Rossco,
Dave Wilson was doing ecological studies on GTPs in Iron Range. His PhD was part of the conservation effort for this species in Australia. During his research he collected a lot of tissue samples that were used in the molecular study that I alluded to. One paper has been published and I think a second one is in print.
Matt

Hi Rossco,
Dave Wilson was doing ecological studies on GTPs in Iron Range. His PhD was part of the conservation effort for this species in Australia. During his research he collected a lot of tissue samples that were used in the molecular study that I alluded to. One paper has been published and I think a second one is in print.
Matt

There is still no conclusive test. You can (almost) conclusively say -some- individuals are -not- from Australia, but you can't be sure that an individual IS from Australia. Additionally, many hybrids can't be identified without sequencing their entire genome, and even then the analysis wouldn't be completely meaningful until about a zillion dollars had been spent analysing the DNA of all the populations. According to a simple genetic analysis, many Australian/exotic hybrids would show up as pure Australian (have you followed the whole "deemed" Australian chondro saga? Exotic chondros were "proven" or "deemed" to be pure Australian, when clearly they were not).

A whole lot of study and a whole lot of tissue samples may have a heap of value, but they don't necessarily produce a diagnostic test. Considering chondros are a recent arrival in Australia, it will probably never be possible to conclusively say based on DNA that any chondro is Australia, unless a specific mutation(s) could be shown to have occured here and not exist anywhere else. All the non mutational diversity in Australian chondros came from overseas, so if we see any alleles here, we can't be sure it isn't overseas as well (in fact, we can be close enough to certain that it is). Thus, the genetic makeup of any Australian chondro could also exist with the genetic material existant overseas, thus it is not possible to demonstrate conclusively (using DNA) that a chondro is Australian, unless they find a fixed endemic Australian allele or haplotype, which we can assume is not going to be the case.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Yeah well said, im with you on this one...

I have no idea wht the hell that means, but it is more than enough jiberish to confuse anyone who disagrees...or planned to disagree...

Carp, I forgot what DNA stands for on APS... even though I have a constant reminder

D o
N ot
A sk

D o
N ot
A nswer

Oops! :oops:

re GTP

Well stated sadj,so your saying they cant tell the difference when someone brings in a container full,lets rock and roll 8)

Well stated sadj,so your saying they cant tell the difference when someone brings in a container full,lets rock and roll

You can pick many (not all) of the exotics as exotics, but not confirm the Australian chondros as Australian. Chondros are boring anyway! I'm glad I don't like them, I'd have to worry about all this rubbish! :)

Some races tho are easily recognised as not Aussies having different head shapes.

I'm guessing any green even blue ones which i'm sure aren't Aussies and if anoother pure or mixed locality other than an Oz green crossed with an Aussie green you wouldn't be able to tell tooo much from the dna would you?

I understand the whole deemed thing as they are very closely related races and were probbly one at one time but could they tell if a non Southern Mreaukea race PNG or any other exotic green crossed with an Aussie could be identified as definitely not Aussie unlike the deemed line?

I'll go ya halves in a container of red and blue babies zuludude just hang onto em till they go through that colour change 8)

re GTP

Yeh the thing with chondros in australia is that people seem to buy any available regardless of color,some are a reall nice greenor blue while others are washed out looking green.They arnt all created equal,some morphs etc on the chondro site are just abortions to the eyeballs,the freddo green is best IMO :D

Yep zulu i've seen an absolutely stunning green and it's sister was dingo ugly ...i reckon unless they're pure Aussies they will not breed true and obviously there's variation in Aussies too not just drab green with spotted white dorsal area but some very vibrant ones also.

I still remember seeing the actual parentage to the all bright green pure Aussie of Tims I'm sure and they had the white spotted dorsal markings down most of the body and the babaies were wicked bright yellow...if they only stayed like that and i wish i'd have realised how rare pure Aussies would be now.

Irwin has em why doesn't he breed them?He has 27 greens but obee mentioned from the 7 Aussies he had he has now only 2?

If I have to agree with John Deutscher then Im not going to be involved in the discussion.
Just behave yourselves. Bye

No i never believe everything oor anything people say unless it's known as fact

i reckon unless they're pure Aussies they will not breed true

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

If I have to agree with John Deutscher then Im not going to be involved in the discussion.
Just behave yourselves. Bye

:cry: :cry: :cry:

:lol:

Sdaji said:
but I'd happily shell out $10,000 for a baby snake if it was going to turn into something like that

I wouldn't, not that I am able to anyway, pay 10k for anything in relation to a pet! Dog, horse, cow, llama, 2 headed goat - it's sheer madness! But hey, that's my opinion...as quirky as it is! :lol:

ps: The only reason this thread is going is because the price is a joke, and in addition, nobody can believe the price hike!

Not that I give a rats. Thought my post count needed improving! ;)

Has anyone ever seen turnip looking trainspotters :roll: :lol:

re GTP

Its here for free advertising,URS pay for there advertising on this site,thankgod someone does or slatey would have to sell his pecker as well as his balls :p

re GTP

BROWNS said:
Has anyone ever seen turnip looking trainspotters :roll: :lol:
LoLz browns,ime getting worried though mate,sadji is making so much sense lately and even peter agrees with him,and he took on the righteous brothers Hix and Jeff Hardy about there blind support for the RSPCA chicken toy campain rubbish :shock:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back