Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The best behaved and the smartest dog I have ever owned was a cross staffy and cattle.....so I don't believe the above quote.

Same here, mine is Kelpie X Aussie Sheepdog.

Can anyone name, without all of the crap, just straight simple answers.

One bad thing about hybrids? (other than increased health risk etc.)

The only time birds carry live animals is when taking them to a fledgling chick, (otherwise they are dispatched and consumed fairly quickly) I don't think many nesting birds fly too far to feed chicks, at least not far enough to move through a prey item's natural range. But you never know.

There is nothing wrong with Hybrid dogs, cats, cattle, horses and people!

I agree, in some ways, but people dont cross breed with sub-species, different skin colours are simply like differently regioned pythons, is it really a hybrid to breed a SA stimmy with a georgetown stimmy?

according to science for humans to be hybrids someone would have to have sex with an ape...
although there are some wierd ppl out there, maybe it has happened, but i'd rather not think of that...

I will never understand.

There is nothing wrong with Hybrid dogs, cats, cattle, horses and people!

What make herps so special?

Dogs, cats, cattle, horses and people do not hybridise as they are the one species. Hybridising in reptiles crosses that line, where people are putting species like Morelia bredli over Morelia spilota, Antaresia maculosa over Antaresia stimsoni. With dogs, it is just Canis lupus familiaris over Canis lupus familiaris which is similar to breeding a striped Jungle to a banded Jungle - same species, but they look different.

oh and with the thing about birds, on my holiday to cape york, we saw 12 snakes, only 3 were on the ground...

Dogs, cats, cattle, horses and people do not hybridise as they are the one species. Hybridising in reptiles crosses that line, where people are putting species like Morelia bredli over Morelia spilota, Antaresia maculosa over Antaresia stimsoni. With dogs, it is just Canis lupus familiaris over Canis lupus familiaris which is similar to breeding a striped Jungle to a banded Jungle - same species, but they look different.
last time i checked, canis is the third one up, as is what ever python is, then comes reptile and mammal...

so cross breeding dogs isnt like cross breeding pythons, its like cross breeding snakes, and last i checked, elapids and pythons dont breed...

Dog breeds all started with the one species, over hundreds of years they where bred (by humans)to bring out certain traits. People don't want to wait and line breed to get differant looking animals anymore, they want 1 breeding to create a differant looking animal.

I personally don't have a problem with it if people were honest as to what they were selling. Do you really think people are going to sell a bright yellow perfectly jungle looking carpet as crossbreed if it's 75% diamond? I don't think many people would admit to it.

Is the Jungle on the cover of Dave Barkers, Pythons of the world Vol.1 'PURE'? How do you know? (I don't know the answer, have heard it's not from reliable sources but would never say for sure)

To the best of my knowledge I know, or can easily find out, the locality of ALL the snakes in my collection bar 1 but I would NEVER sell an animal as a PURE ( .... ) as I cannot prove it.

Whether you like it or not designer pythons are going to take off in Australia. Let's just hope people will be honest about what they're selling.

HAPPY HERPING!!!

so cross breeding dogs isnt like cross breeding pythons, its like cross breeding snakes, and last i checked, elapids and pythons dont breed...

G'day The-Guy,

I'm far from a taxonomical authority, but you're understanding of nomenclature is a little misguided. Animals are classified in the following order -

Kingdom
Phylum
Class
Order
Sub Order
Family
Genus
Species
Subspecies

The latin names of animals goes "Genus species subspecies"...for example, "Oxyuranus scutellatus canni". Oxyuranus = genus, scutellatus = species, canni = subspecies.

Dogs are all one species (or subspecies to be..well, more specific) - "Canis lupus familiarlis". As I said, crossbreeding dogs is like putting two different coloured Jungles together - same species, they just look different.

What a load of poop. You should probably leave it at that too 'The Guy', your digging that hole deeper and deeper :lol: Its not hybridising when theyre the same species, do a little research before attempting to put forward an arguement eh? ;)

Jordan

G'day The-Guy,

I'm far from a taxonomical authority, but you're understanding of nomenclature is a little misguided. Animals are classified in the following order -

Kingdom
Phylum
Class
Order
Sub Order
Family
Genus
Species
Subspecies

The latin names of animals goes "Genus species subspecies"...for example, "Oxyuranus scutellatus canni". Oxyuranus = genus, scutellatus = species, canni = subspecies.

Dogs are all one species (or subspecies to be..well, more specific) - "Canis lupus familiarlis". As I said, crossbreeding dogs is like putting two different coloured Jungles together - same species, they just look different.

I get it, so breeding Varanus Acanthurus with Pogona Vitticeps is Hybrid, but Varanus Tristis and Varanus Acanthurus or Pogona Vitticeps and Pogona Minor Minor is not?

ie. Morelia spilota spilota x Morelia spilota cheynei = hybridising.

Same subspecies, not a hybrid. People go even further than the subspecies level, not liking to cross individuals within the same species from different locales. Thats a different story altogether though....

Jordan

What Jordan mentions is the perfect way of maintaining captive animals as pure as possible. Regardless of what taxonomical changes are made, if you breed animals from the same area, they are always going to remain pure to whatever species they are assigned to in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back