Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
hey man dont stress keep in mind we are in a bit of a cold snap at the moment although you may have a hot spot in your enclosure snakes still seem to sense when its cold outside wait for the next warmer day and have another go. The more you try the more frustrated you will get my pair i got off stewy arent all that active either they are kind of cooling themselves i woke up the other morning it was about 8 degrees and they were both hangin around on top of their water bowl at the cool end of their enclosure. Ime not even gunna bother feeding them untill this cold wind goes away. If you anoy them too much with food offerings it can take ages to get em goin again properly.

hmmm i dunno what else you can try, if the breeder is local to you maybe see if he can come around and see if he can get it to feed, maybe he might be able to spot something that might make a difference?

hey man dont stress keep in mind we are in a bit of a cold snap at the moment although you may have a hot spot in your enclosure snakes still seem to sense when its cold outside wait for the next warmer day and have another go. The more you try the more frustrated you will get my pair i got off stewy arent all that active either they are kind of cooling themselves i woke up the other morning it was about 8 degrees and they were both hangin around on top of their water bowl at the cool end of their enclosure. Ime not even gunna bother feeding them untill this cold wind goes away. If you anoy them too much with food offerings it can take ages to get em goin again properly.

Thanks for the advice, but the thing is he isnt feeding regularly anyway... 6 months old and ever had 6 feeds. im more frustrated that i'm wasting so much... his last feed was during the day so mayb ill try that again tomorrow? gone over 3 weeks now since last feed

hmmm i dunno what else you can try, if the breeder is local to you maybe see if he can come around and see if he can get it to feed, maybe he might be able to spot something that might make a difference?

i contacted him and he gave me a few tips but they haven't seemed to work either lol, ive tried to upload videos off my iphone but it didnt work so ill try get some more on another cam or something

6 feeds isnt too bad i mean, if he had a feed 3 weeks ago he is not about to die of starvation. Mine have only had 1 shed since i got them off stewy, you have to expect that this time of year they can slow down a bit. There is no right way that you will magically get your snake to eat. In 07 i purchased a pair of diamonds the male hasnt stopped eating since then the female didnt eat for the first 6 months then started feeding only after an hour of coaxing her each feed she finally took off and is now a good feeder. My point is those six months i tried everything possible to no success i think she gained a distrust in me in those months cause i was always annoying her with food. It took a long time to gain her trust back so that an hours long feeding ritual finally become a five or ten minute task.

yeah im not worried bout him starving, i just want him to be a more regular feeder :) but i guess i havent taken the cold into consideration and do remember reading a forum about their mentabolism slowing down in winter. Mine's had one shed too. wow thats really crazy, i never liked the idea of smacking the snake with food in the head :S but yeah i guess it'll come down to it'll eat when its ready and in time become more regular.

Thanks for helping out Mrkos, and TigerCoastal, much appreciate it and im sure for anyone else who can be bothered to read the 14 pages of this thread it'll be helpful for them too :D or at least interesting haha.

Also TigerCoastal i swapped the hiding cave to the warmer end and also placed a dowel piece in there too, he's loving it and i woke up this morning with him sitting on top of the hide.. so hopefully he this set up will work out, ill snap a couple pics for u and pop em up

finally got pics off my iphone.. stupid thing lol

Attachments

• IMG_0327.jpg
    IMG_0327.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0329.jpg
    IMG_0329.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0330.jpg
    IMG_0330.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0328.jpg
    IMG_0328.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 39
looking good mate hopefully the few changes you have made to it will have some good results ;) Just remember to keep the heat up to him, even if he doesn't eat all through winter as a snake that young is more prone to RI if it gets cold. Nubi still looks like he is in good condition, and Kuddles has only had the one slough with us, comming up to his second now, so he's not to far behind Kuddles

Cheers, i think he is happy with his new enclosure set up too :), seems to like hanging round on the stick and keeping warm on the hide. Yeah i have been keeping the heat matt on day and night for him cause he still little ;). yeah he seems to be fine, looks healthy n feels strong.
Good to hear bout kuddles, be sure to get some snaps of before and after his slough if u get a chance :), might even be lucky like i was to catch him in the middle of it :D

I think i'll be lucky to get any pics of him before he sheds, i havnt seen him out of his hide for the last 6 days, but i will definately get some pics after. I have already had 1 snake shed this week, got a 6 foot long skin in one piece, will come in handy for playing some jokes on some friends ;)

yeah thats true, especially if he's already hiding now haha. have you experienced much colour change in any of your snakes after a shedding? hahaha awesome, 6ft full skin would be impressive :D let us know how u go with the pranks ;)

Well i just walked in the door after work, looked into Kuddles enclosure and saw a skin stretched almost from end to end (900mm), usually he waits till the house is dark and quiet before he slough's so that we find the skin (and surprise ;) ) in the morning. I find that there is a major color change from before to after slough, the best way to describe it is go out riding dirt bikes in the dust all day, and then have a shower and notice the color change to your skin, they look really dusty/dirty with really dull coloration and after slough they look unreal!!
I'll have to wait till the weather warms up a bit till i can start playing any pranks, everyone down here knows that you dont see any rep's at this time of year, unless i can get access to a mates house to put one in amongst his camping stuff ;)

been in cairns for a week and havent had internet access. Thats awesome bought the shed, looking forward to some pics! haha must of been itching to get outta his skin ;)
lol that sounds good, nothin creepier than goin thru ur camping gear and thinking a skins shed itself in ur gear ;)

i been really slack the last few days, havnt had a chance to take any pics yet, i been busy adding to my rat racks over the weekend and working long hours this week, will hopefully be able to g8et some over the weekend to post up, if i miss him looking good i have another 2 that are due to slough within the next week or 2 so will get some before and after pics for you then. Have you had any luck with nubi eating for you yet?

No worries, i got a ton of assignments due and they always seem to spring up on me and i find myself in a huge rush! always one thing after another. but yeah get the pics up whenever you can... and of the other ones too when they're done. I've been in Cairns for a week, just got home bout 20min ago so haven't tried feeding Nubi yet... im sure he would be hungry by now. he is hiding in his cool toilet roll so i jus gave him some fresh water and left him alone... will watch him over the next 2 or 3 days and see how he is during the night n see if he gets any more active and try feeding him then. lol its rank i left a weaner mouse in a container in my room that i forgot to throw out after trying to feed him last week.. WOOPS! almost threw up when i opened the container

tried to get some pics of Kuddles before i fed him tonight, he wasnt really helpful and wouldnt sit still for me, and only really got one useable pic of him, and have taken some pics of Agro before he slough's, will post them and an after slough pic in a week or so when he does

awesommmmmme colours man, beautiful pattern too! looking forward to come more pics. pop one up of the shed skin too :). yeah Anubis never sits still for a good pic haha.

yeah he's starting to color up real nice, you cant really see it in that pic but he is starting to get a green tinge on his nose, and the stripe on his back is getting more defined each slough, i cant wait to compare him in a few years time to these pics to see how much he has changed. I cant find any of the skins at the moment, the kids had them out earlier before i got home from work so will have to wait till after school tomorrow till i have a hope of finding it.

yeah he definetely is :D. oh a green tinge, thats unusual. i'm sure he will get better and better with each slough! interesting to see. Also ill be interested to see how my lil guy goes. i just got him out for about 15-20min and he was eager to come out and have a wander... took a few snaps quickly too ill post the pix now. also theres a pic or two of him when i tried to feed him last week before i went to cairns that wasnt so successful.. lets hope after another week his appetite has grown a lil more ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back