Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Attachments

• IMG_0343.jpg
    IMG_0343.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0331.jpg
    IMG_0331.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0354.jpg
    IMG_0354.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0342.jpg
    IMG_0342.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0356.jpg
    IMG_0356.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 45
Nubi's color atm looks alot like Kuddles did before he sloughed, thats a bit of a comparison of the color change that he had when he sloughed. It was feeding night last night and i fed 3 snakes and noticed that 2 of them were alot slower to strike, Kuddles wouldnt take the rat from my hand i had to sit it on the floor next to him and let him take it as he wanted, agro was a bit un-interested due to having blue eye's but he hadnt been fed for 13 days and was over due so put the rats head in his hide and left it, but lilith was like feeding satan herself, i opened the enclosure door, holding the rat by the tail i put it just inside the door and she launched 3 feet across the enclosure, not for the rat but for my hand! I put the rat on the enclosure floor and removed my hand and she followed me out the door and struck at the door when i tried to close it. I had to let her settle for a minute then using my hook had to reach in and pick the rat up and offer it again. Just goes to show the different feeding respose from different snakes of the same species

oh serious? have you got any pics of kuddles when he was a hatchie?! that'd be interesting. Nubi has had one shed but he i dont think he changes colour too much, all i noticed was more defined colours :).
oh did u get caught on the hand? haha i have only seen nubi being aggresive once since ive had him! and thats when i was annoying him with food for agggggges and he struck at it but missed...then that was it. For the three snakes u fed was that normal behaviour from each of them when feeding?

since i've changed the enclosure around nubi hasn't been in his big hide much.. he just sits ontop of the hide, im guessing its too warm inside of it. but he seems quite content. when i had him out last night i felt like his body was pretty cold and to confirm it he coiled up in the mask lol so i put him back in the hide and sure enough he was back ontop of it soon after. i think ill try feeding him tonight its been 4 weeks 5 days since he fed for me last

It was far from normal for all 3 of them, usually Kuddles will take the rat from my hand rather gently and then constrict, agro usually hits it out in the open or from his branch and hits it hard, and it was the first time that i have seen lilith move that quick and get that aggressive at feeding time, but i am giving her bigger feeds at longer intervals (13-15days) as i am trying to slow her growth a little so that my male can catch up for next season. She missed my hand by about 5 cm, but i am always on guard with her as she has been aggressive in the past and try to keep a branch or hide between her head and my hand to avoid it.

I have noticed that sometimes when i change the enclosure the snakes dont like the way i have it set up. Some snakes like to hide, others dont, quite often i find Kuddles curled up next to his water bowl or on his branch, its only really after a feed or coming up to slough that he hides alot. I guess it comes down to how comfortable the snake is in its surroundings.

I only have these 2 pics of him as a hatchie, and have re-posted the last pic for easy comparison of the color change (Both taken under the same fluro for equal lighting, click-clack was kept in the enclosure he is in now )

oh yeahh quite similar! Nubi is a lil darker on both his colours. do they often turn out similar to their parents?
oh ok, crazy weather doing crazy things to snakes haha.
i might change the enclosure around again so the back half of his hide has the heat mat under it and the other half not so much.. but will leave it a while. he used to just wrap around on the floor and there is space for him to do it but seems happier on top

From what i have been told a good indicator is to look at both parents, but am not 100% sure as this is the first hatchie i've had, the rest of my snakes have been 1yr+ when i have got them, but so far it is looking promising that Kuddles will turn out like his parents. Give nubi another week or so to get familiar with his enclosure set up, changing it is like changing house it takes a bit to get used to ;) If he has the room to thermo-regulate he will be fine ;)

yeah he has had about 12 days so im pretty sure he has settled with the change around and added dowel. he was quite eager to come out last night, was hiding in his toilet roll and i opened the lid and he came slithering out of the hide and towards my hand. haha until after a while and he got cold :). ill see how feeding goes over the next couple days, surely must be hungry by now... and see if i can get a few snaps too; still yet to get a decent camera.

ok so defrosted and heated a weaner mouse... opened the enclosure.. he smelt the air and went crazy, going all around his enclosure sticking his toungue out heaps, i havent seen him move that fast before. he kept coming near the sticks i had and my hand and even a lil outta the enclosure, then i kept moving the mouse on the floor and he went down to it, got in his S bend for ages, up close tasting the air, then stayed in his S bend, and thennnnn nothing. :S :S :S so i didnt want to annoy him too much with it cause last week i annoyed him a fair bit, i left the mouse on the floor and turned the lights out.

sounds like he is definately interested, thats how Kuddles reacted last night when i fed him, leave him for an hour or more before checking on him to give him a chance to realise he wont be disturbed and start feeding and i'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

yeah it seems that way! i got a snap of him in his S bend ill quickly upload. i figured leaving him to eat would be the best thing and i guess illl leave it overnight?

i dont think it would really hurt leaving it in over night, or if your going to be up late take it out just before you go to bed. Keep the room he is in dark and quiet and see how you go ;)

yeah he stays in my room, its quite warm tonight so he shuld be up for feeding. im going to bed now, ill have a quick look then if he isnt eating ill leave it overnight. its by the entrance of his hide. fingers crossed :) will let ya know how it goes

ok leaving it in overnight doesnt do anything. i left it in the warm end, picked it up this morning and was still warm. the snake was in his cold hide. mayb he is afraid of the dead mice :p

hmmm i wonder if there are any members on here that live close to you that would be willing to come around and give you some advice being able to see the way that you do things, or maybe the breeder that you got him off, as any decent breeder will be happy to offer advice and help. The other things that may help next feed could be braining the mouse, get a garden skink and rub it all over the mouse or a small breast feather of a small bird in the mouses mouth, other than that the only thing i dont do is handle within 24 hrs before i feed and then wait 48 hrs after to keep the stress down as much as i can.

Garden skink scenting is very effective with getting young snakes feeding but if he has taken unscented mice before it might be a hassle in the future if he takes a preference for lizard scented prey. Where abouts on the coast are you i can try and feed him for you though i cant really garantee anything sounds like your little guy is being abit stubborn with you at the moment. He definetely sounds hungry by your description of his reaction to food placed in front of him . My little on i got off stewy d is a bit funny with its food tends to strike and let go but still managing to feed weekly last night took a pinkie rat after a bit of persuasion.

I haven't read the whole thread and don't know if you've tried this but anyway! have you tried holding the back of the head of your coastal and just pushing the head of the mice or rat up to the top lip of the coastal?so it opens up it's jaw a little bit then try putting it inside gently? i tried that with my woma a long time ago and she now feeds non stop.

hmmm i wonder if there are any members on here that live close to you that would be willing to come around and give you some advice being able to see the way that you do things, or maybe the breeder that you got him off, as any decent breeder will be happy to offer advice and help. The other things that may help next feed could be braining the mouse, get a garden skink and rub it all over the mouse or a small breast feather of a small bird in the mouses mouth, other than that the only thing i dont do is handle within 24 hrs before i feed and then wait 48 hrs after to keep the stress down as much as i can.

Yeah my mate spoke to the breeder when he saw him in the shops the other day and he told him to get me to give him a buzz. ill do that this week when i get some spare time. oki kool, do pet stores have skinks? ... skink/gecko same thing?cause theres plenty round the house :D haha. yeah i usually dont touch him a day before feeding and three after when he has fed for me.

Garden skink scenting is very effective with getting young snakes feeding but if he has taken unscented mice before it might be a hassle in the future if he takes a preference for lizard scented prey. Where abouts on the coast are you i can try and feed him for you though i cant really garantee anything sounds like your little guy is being abit stubborn with you at the moment. He definetely sounds hungry by your description of his reaction to food placed in front of him . My little on i got off stewy d is a bit funny with its food tends to strike and let go but still managing to feed weekly last night took a pinkie rat after a bit of persuasion.

I wouldn't mind trying it if it works, i'd rather him feeding regular than not at all, even if it means a hassle in the future to get him off lizard scented. I'm at Mountain Creek, what about u? yeah he acts like he wants to feed, and usually S bends and stays there and moves away or comes realllllllly close to the mouse and then just moves away and every time i move the mouse around he repeats it. Im trying to feed him weaners at the moment, had pinkie rats but Stewie said not to bother changing his food if he isnt even eating. he has only ever eaten fuzzys with me... so mayb i need to go and get some of them again? or is the difference in mice not as large as changing to rats u think?

I haven't read the whole thread and don't know if you've tried this but anyway! have you tried holding the back of the head of your coastal and just pushing the head of the mice or rat up to the top lip of the coastal?so it opens up it's jaw a little bit then try putting it inside gently? i tried that with my woma a long time ago and she now feeds non stop.

Hmm not very confident in force feeding quite yet.. will use that as my last resort or get someone who has done it before to try that :)

ime at maroochydore i wouldnt even consider force feeding untill your snakes gone many months without food remember a healthy youngster can last a long time without food. Try the fuzzies if thats all he has ever eaten chances are it might work. Try tapping him him a bit around the neck with a fuzzy get him striking when he grabs wiggle the fuzzy abit can sometimes get a strong response from them and they will constrict once that happens leave the room. The lizard scented should certainly work especially with a bit of skink tail coming out of the fuzzies mouth but you really only use that on hatchies to get them initially feeding. Before you try scenting i would recommend going back to the food type that stewy and yourself were initially feeding fuzzies he might not feel like taking larger items just yet

well ill try again tonight with the weaners, stewy said he shuld be feeding on fuzzy/weaner mice so i will try tapping him around the neck/head with it, hopefully itll work. again, do pet stores have the lizards or?
if all else fails i will again try fuzzys and if he doesnt take it ill try scenting. gonna try feeding in the next 40min

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back