Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
uv is for lizzards, snakes dont need it, they THINK it might help prevent DPS in diamonds, but it hasnt been proven or not. IR are good for heat, havnt used them much, the first enclosures i built use blue party globes for heat, but my big ones have ceramics (0% light emission). But when you work out what size you want i'll give you a hand to work out what kind, wattage and where in the enclosure you want to put it. I only needed the basic tools to build the big one, circular saw as i bought full sheets of melamine, battery drill and drill bits, hacksaw and spare blades and a couple of screwdrivers, plus a measuring tape and pencil ;) Also bunnings can cut the sheets to size for a cost if you dont have your own saw.

Leave the pinky in there over night and toss it first thing if he hasnt eaten it, he might weight till the house is silent to eat it if he is interested

awesomeee thank u, ill let u kno how i go finding something or if i decide to build one.
well ill leave it in there, its still on the heat matt so it shuld stay warm hahaha and will chuck it tomorrow it not eaten. should probably clean the enclosure tomorrow too after rat has been all over the joint aye?
off to sleep for tonight, 1am already.. times been creeping up on me recently haha

Cheers :D

Thats sweet, here's a thread that i started when i was building my 3 bank for you to have a look at, i got some good info out of it that might give you something to think about while you are planning things, http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/general-discussion-42/enclosure-ventilation-heating-133160 .i dont know if it is really needed to clean the enclosure just because you have fed him, unless for some reason the pinky leaked some bodily fluid. I only clean the enclosure after they have defecated, or a monthly full clean. If he did eat it, might be better just to leave the enclosure as it is so that you dont stress him out while you are cleaning it. I change the water on the day that i feed so that i can totally leave the snake alone for 48hrs, and not have to open the door for anything.
The time is bad, it just has a habit of disappearing on you when you dont want it to.

great, thanks for that link! yeah he didnt eat it, but when i opened the enclosure man did i not expect the smell haha! no fluids were spilt so i gave it a breeze with the lid and popped it back on. Last night before bed i thought id take the lid off cause nubi had come out of hide, and he came right out and climbed all over me and actually stayed on me which was a change haha. ill pop some pics up in a minute of a decoration i got to put in the new, bigger enclosure :D

few pics with new decoration :)

Attachments

• IMG_0313.jpg
    IMG_0313.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0311.jpg
    IMG_0311.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0315.jpg
    IMG_0315.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0309.jpg
    IMG_0309.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0310.jpg
    IMG_0310.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 33
mmm have you tried feeding out of his click-clack? like hanging on a clothes horse or something like that? I've never had to leave one for more than 10 mins so i dont know what the smell is like but i can only imagine. For hatchie/juvi hides i just use light globe box's, tissue box's or something about that size as they grow out of them pretty quickly and when they get dirty i just turf them. That decoration is pretty cool, just make sure that you secure it so it cant fall as you will be surprised how strong a small snake can be and if it falls it might cause some injury. I have a 2 part ship, each part is approx 25-30cm long and Kuddles can move that around!

i have tried putting him in a seperate click clack to feed but that wasn't successful. i contacted the breeder and said i shouldnt even think about changing food until he is eating more often. and pinkie rats are a waste.. also said they should be feeding on weaner mice... so ill do that, another $20 down the drain :S. also warming the mice up is the same way ive been doing it... although i dont always dry mine (the only difference). Also mentioned i should tap him in the head with it a few times to make him strike.

yeah i was just checking out the decoration :D see if he liked it, ill be glueing it or cementing it to the rock wall i make so there wont be a chance for him to move it ;)

Each to their own when it comes to feeding mice or rats, there are alot of people on this site that start their coastals on pinky rats and never feed mice. Hang on to the rats you will be able to feed them to him when he is eating for you, even if he is a bit bigger, just feed 2 of them, or feed one for a little extra after a bigger one. I dont dry any feeds, i didnt even think that might have been some of the reason that he wasnt eating for you. Hope you have a bit more luck using the breeders advice

my coastal is 6 months old about 60cm and im still feeding him on velvet mice seem to leave a nice lump in his belly so ill keep him on them for a while

i bought some weaner mice today so we will see how i go. he was keen to come out tonight and was out for over an hour, and had access to his click clack easily but strolled around happily.. and HE SHAT AND PEED ON MY BED lol! so after i changed the sheets it got me thinking... why would he do his business now? he hasn't fed since 20th of May...do u think he was constipated? and was turned off food or something?

my coastal is 6 months old about 60cm and im still feeding him on velvet mice seem to leave a nice lump in his belly so ill keep him on them for a while

yeah my coastal is 6 months old too and has only fed twice in about 3 or so months :S so ill just go to weaner mice and hope for the best :) post a couple pics of ur coastal if u have some :)

i've got my (near) 5 month coastal (same batch as yours) on jumper mice. i'll probably bump it up a notch again when they run out. the little guy is eating REALLY well now

yeah i just must of f*ked it up somehow along the way... like he has only had 6 feeds ever... just want him to be a regular feeder

Last edited:
From what i have been told on here it takes roughly 2 weeks to fully digest a feed and pass it maybe a little bit more if the temps are lower. One of the main reasons that i feed wet, it ensures that the snake gets some water. I have only ever once seen any of my snakes drink from their water bowl. Dont know if that stops constipation or not, but a bit more water cant hurt the snake ;) There was a thread on here a while ago, and i cant for the life of me remember the name of it, detailing all this crap someone went through with their first snake, took almost 12 months or more to get it right, but i think that may have been a spotted.

From what i have been told on here it takes roughly 2 weeks to fully digest a feed and pass it maybe a little bit more if the temps are lower. One of the main reasons that i feed wet, it ensures that the snake gets some water. I have only ever once seen any of my snakes drink from their water bowl. Dont know if that stops constipation or not, but a bit more water cant hurt the snake ;) There was a thread on here a while ago, and i cant for the life of me remember the name of it, detailing all this crap someone went through with their first snake, took almost 12 months or more to get it right, but i think that may have been a spotted.

yeah well its leading up to 3 weeks (in 2 days) and has just passed the biggest crap and im guessing pee on my bed haha.. and it could be the temps because for the first week i didnt have a toilet roll in there so he wasnt in the warm spot much, but after that he seemed to be quite happy to hide in the warm spot. ill leave feeding him the weaners tonight and try tomorrow night i think

sounds like a good plan give him another day with a bit of space in his belly and he might get a bit more hungry for you ;)

yeah im hoping that he was not eating cause his belly still had something in it... fingers crossed for tomorrow :) so 2ish weeks is normal for it to digest and poop?

i know that it is for older snakes, as i have a thread going at the moment about cooling them for breeding and have been told to wait for at least 2 weeks after the last feed before backing down the heat, but they should crap 2-3 times in that 2 weeks, so he quite possibly could have been constipated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back