Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
hmmmm well i must admit i have been slack and havent gotten a thermometer yet.. i will def get one or two before the weekend ends... mayb the temps are off and thats why he wasn't feeding... but then again why would he strike at it and leave it alone after?...agitated that i kept annoying him with it? he is still in his click clack yeah...a 7watt heat matt covering about 1/4 of it....i usually turn it on at night, and turn it off by day... tried feeding him at about 12-1am last night..

i have my heating on 24/7 for all my snakes, it will change next year as my oldest will be old enough and big enough to cool, and most people that i have talked to on here have recommended heating hatchies-yearlings 24/7. so maybe thats the reason, and if having the heat off i'm pretty sure that it should be on during the day and off at night. Hopefully someone will correct me if i am wrong :s. lol Are you sure that the feed was properly defrosted/warm enough when you tried feeding? usually thats about all that makes them release if they want to eat. If not i'd still put it down to something to do with the temps.

On another note i fed kuddles tonight, had a 22g velvet/fuzzy rat in the freezer and thought i would see if he could get it down. Was a massive effort 45mins not counting the time that he played with it. First off tried swallowing it sideways and bottom jaw on the rat opened and caught on the side of kuddles lip, tried at it for 10 mins or so then pulled off and tried again and got it down.

Will have some pics of my new male striped coastal in a few weeks when i pick him up...hopefully striped babies comming my way in the next few years ;) Heres some pics of kuddles before with the rat and after, camera battery was flat and ony got enough charge into it when he was just about finished.

ok im convinced it was the temperatures... like he struck at the mouse but didnt hold on or anything.. but i turned heating on (and wil be keeping it on) and last night he was sitting on the spot directly under the heat mat!!! never have i seen this so im guessing this must of been why. i might try feeding again tonight..

Great pics there, and good work on the snakes behalf of downing the rat :D

Yeah try give him another feed tomorrow night after he has had a good chance to warm up and work out that the temps are going to stay up. The temp really effects how the snake digests its food and if it is to cold it wont be able to digest, which in turn can cause probs for the snake like bloating, rotting food in the stomach stuff like that so they wont eat until they know that it will be warm enough so they dont have a problem. If Nubi dont eat for you on this feed i would get in touch with his breeder and try to get a bit more info on set-up, temps, feeding method (hands or tongs) and anything else they think might help. How long has it been since he has had a feed now?

As for Kuddles feed, i'm thinking that he will be staying on them for another 7-8 feeds and then will move him to fuzzys.

your python looks like my big girl ?

just had a look at your albums, beautiful girl! mine has very similar patterns but yours is lighter... did you get yours as a hatchling or a lil older? if a hatchie what colour was she? Still dont know if mine's a boy or a girl yet..

Yeah try give him another feed tomorrow night after he has had a good chance to warm up and work out that the temps are going to stay up. The temp really effects how the snake digests its food and if it is to cold it wont be able to digest, which in turn can cause probs for the snake like bloating, rotting food in the stomach stuff like that so they wont eat until they know that it will be warm enough so they dont have a problem. If Nubi dont eat for you on this feed i would get in touch with his breeder and try to get a bit more info on set-up, temps, feeding method (hands or tongs) and anything else they think might help. How long has it been since he has had a feed now?

As for Kuddles feed, i'm thinking that he will be staying on them for another 7-8 feeds and then will move him to fuzzys.

as we speak Nubi is laying curled up on the heat matt...will defrost a mouse and see what the go is. its been 5-6weeks now. yeah i can imagine he wouldnt want food if the temps aren't right...:). ill give it a go now and see what happens, will keep u posted ;)

Hope he fed for you ;) I just handled Kuddles for the first time since he had his big feed, good as gold, didnt realise when i first got him out but he just had a crap a few mins before i got him out as he hadnt been out of his hide for long....looks like i got a job to do before i make it to bed... He also "discovered" my 3 foot darwin while he was out, Decided to climb up ontop of his enclosure where my darwins is and my darwin came up to the glass for a look where they both stayed for the next 5 mins looking at each-other

After owning Dragons for a year, I fell in love with a couple of placid Coastals as the SOFAR meeting on Tuesday. It wasthe first time I had handled a snake, and there was a hatchling and a yearling.

Ended up buying the yearling last night. It has spent the past hour under my son's long hair.

Called it Tails

Hope he fed for you ;) I just handled Kuddles for the first time since he had his big feed, good as gold, didnt realise when i first got him out but he just had a crap a few mins before i got him out as he hadnt been out of his hide for long....looks like i got a job to do before i make it to bed... He also "discovered" my 3 foot darwin while he was out, Decided to climb up ontop of his enclosure where my darwins is and my darwin came up to the glass for a look where they both stayed for the next 5 mins looking at each-other

Didnt get a chance to attempt to feed last night.. im thinking ill wait til monday, ill be putting in dowel bits, clean the enclosure etc and there will be a fair bit of distraction and dont want to annoy him with it all.

haha nice, dont let them out together at the same time? prob a good thing they both weren't out if they have never seen the other... u kinda got to see how they react near eachother :)

After owning Dragons for a year, I fell in love with a couple of placid Coastals as the SOFAR meeting on Tuesday. It wasthe first time I had handled a snake, and there was a hatchling and a yearling.

Ended up buying the yearling last night. It has spent the past hour under my son's long hair.

Called it Tails

Congrats :) i hope you'll enjoy Tails as much as im enjoying Anubis :D.... need alot of patience though haha. Anubis was the first snake i ever handled (properly handled, not jus touching a snake's tail) and i was sold :oops:...love my lil guy. post up some pics when u get a chance :D

Nah i only get the one snake out at a time, especially when it Kuddles (60cm, 80 grams), considering that Agro (120cm, 500g) and Lilith (150cm, 750g) would be able to tear him apart. Once Kuddles is older and i have "him" sexed, if he turns out to be males he will be going over Lilith and if he is a she i will put Mustard over her. Breeding time will be the only time that i have any of my snakes around another one.

@Tinky glad you finally took the plunge and got a python? You prob made the right choice going for something that is a little more established as your first snake, as python_player is finding out they can be a little fiddley to get feeding once you get them home, and then when you do eventually get a hatchie you will have another snake to handle while you let the baby settle ;) My first was Lilith (2yo coastal), then Agro (1yo Darwin), and then Kuddles (4mth coastal), now in a few weeks i go to pick up another 2y/o coastal that i hope to breed with Lily next season-season after.

The few pics i posted the other day of Kuddles big feed have now been trumped. The camera was fully charged for last nights feed so i got a vid of it. This one was a 24g velvet/fuzzy rat, He's a happy little snake now with a full belly. [video=youtube;T2tvmkmC1qM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2tvmkmC1qM[/video]

Good luck with the feed when you try and ley us know how you go, have you thought about trying day old chicks or scenting the feed with a small birds feather in the rat/mouse's mouth? Just another thought.

Great vid there! still hasn't eaten :(.... tried again last night didnt take it, left it overnight and it was still there this morning... not quite sure where i can get day old chicks from, i might pop into the pet store and ask.
again as last time.. comes up to it, practically touches it with its nose then moves back away... driving me nuts

The few pics i posted the other day of Kuddles big feed have now been trumped. The camera was fully charged for last nights feed so i got a vid of it. This one was a 24g velvet/fuzzy rat, He's a happy little snake now with a full belly.

Good luck with the feed when you try and ley us know how you go, have you thought about trying day old chicks or scenting the feed with a small birds feather in the rat/mouse's mouth? Just another thought.

Gave you a bit of a shock didn't it? haha. It could go with something bigger imo. weaner rats I reckon!

Great vid there! still hasn't eaten :(.... tried again last night didnt take it, left it overnight and it was still there this morning... not quite sure where i can get day old chicks from, i might pop into the pet store and ask.
again as last time.. comes up to it, practically touches it with its nose then moves back away... driving me nuts

hmmm thats not sounding to good, how close is the breeder that you got nubi from? I'd really be going to see him and find out a little more about his hatchie setup and how he feeds. Is Nubi still looking healty and not loosing to much weight? The other thing it could be is that the feed is either to hot or to cold, and after the first feed that he had for you that exploded on him he might be a little warey of it. Do you know anyone that breeds mice/rats that you could get a live pinky off and feed fresh killed instead of frozen/thawed?

@Snakelove it was more of a surprise that he got it down so easily, dont think ill go for the weiner rats for a little bit longer yet, but they way he is growing it wont be to long, but will be increasing the food size by a few grams each feed

HE FED :D :D :D i left the fuzzie in hot water for double the length i normally wait, then took it straight out of the water and dangled it above Nubi... then ran it along the floor after i got his attention then BAM he grabbed it constricted it and ate it sideways haha. just finished swallowing it :D. it burst open on him while he constricted it and theres a bit of guts around, i think ill clean the enclosure now...

what a relief :)

Woo Hoo you gotta be happy with that, hopefully you have figured out what was wrong and he starts feeding frequently for you. I bet that has taken a big weight off your shoulders, and has made Nubi a happy little snake. Maybe next time to stop it exploding all over him, try heat for in between what you used to do and what you did this time. How do you check if the pinky is defrosted? I usually pull it out of the water amd hold the belly between my fingers for about 15 seconds and then do the same thing with the head to feel for any temp drop, coz if the center of the belly or head is still frozen it will feel warm when you first pick it up, but after a short time the coolness will come through, the larger the rat the longer i hold it for to feel for the cold.
I've got some good news too, i'll be picking my new coastal up either tomorrow or saturday morning so i'll throw a pic or 2 up when i get him home, Although when i went to see the breeder the other day i had a look at the snake and for a 2y/o it needs to get some size on it. He was a hold back that the breeder was going to use in his breeding program, but i think he was slow grown just to see what his colors and pattern were going to be like, and the breeder changed his mind, but he's not that much smaller than what my female was when i got her so i should be able to get him to catch up pretty quick.

i know its defrosted cause its in hot water for a while, and i always feel around for a bit to see if i can feel any change in temp. no i dont think it was the heat that made it explode, just the stomach of the fuzzie is really fragile :S i memba when i was feeling the first mouse i defrosted and it burst in my hand haha.
So you should have gotten your new coastal :) any pics? very exciting, picked out a name and know if its boy or girl? im sure it'll pick up its weight/size soon enough, just let it smash a rat every week, as long as its eating well :)

ah cool, i've never had one explode the only time i've had any mess is when i have had to brain the pinky :s but yeah they do feel pretty fragile when ya get them out of the hot water. Yeah i got my boy yesterday, think he will make a nice partner for my female ;) The pics on the coffee table are of my new boy, and the snake on the astro-turf is my original stripe that i got first

Attachments

• P5210026.jpg
    P5210026.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 24
  • P5210025.jpg
    P5210025.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 31
  • P5210019.jpg
    P5210019.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 25
  • P5210018.jpg
    P5210018.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 27
  • P5170013.jpg
    P5170013.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 26
ah cool, i've never had one explode the only time i've had any mess is when i have had to brain the pinky :s but yeah they do feel pretty fragile when ya get them out of the hot water. Yeah i got my boy yesterday, think he will make a nice partner for my female ;) The pics on the coffee table are of my new boy, and the snake on the astro-turf is my original stripe that i got first

He is very cute, Tiger!! Very nice colours for a coastal! Whats his temperament like?!?

thanks blondie, have only handled him 3 times so far, twice at the breeders and then when i first got him home for the pics and he has a great temperament so far, wasn't worried at all by the kids wanting to have a look. He did have one little snap at me, i was holding him trying to get a pic when i felt something wet run down my arm... looked at his *** and he was just starting to pump out a turd, so i headed for the door to get him on the grass and as i reached for the handle (a bit quick) he opened his mouth, no strike but just sat there like he was waiting for me to put my hand in his mouth, i have been lucky so far, 4 out of 4 snakes have been very placid once settled and am still waiting for my first real bite.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back