Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
im really hoping it will be a good looking snake as it sheds more :) fingers crossed... and i love the pattern on yours :D

i'd give him a go on the pinkie rats, where i get them from the fuzzy mice and pinkie rats are roughly the same size, pinkies maybe a little bigger. There a few people on here that breed them who start them on pinkie rats from day one so i wanted to swap mine over asap as i am planning on breeding rats in the very near future :)

im really hoping it will be a good looking snake as it sheds more :) fingers crossed... and i love the pattern on yours :D

thanks. very much like it's daddy :)
started off very brown, and has gotten a way better contrast, with a lot more green in there.

started this latest one on fuzzy mice, but my yearling was started on pinky mice then rats then fuzzies.

i'd give him a go on the pinkie rats, where i get them from the fuzzy mice and pinkie rats are roughly the same size, pinkies maybe a little bigger. There a few people on here that breed them who start them on pinkie rats from day one so i wanted to swap mine over asap as i am planning on breeding rats in the very near future :)

Well i've still got like 5 frozen fuzzies left so ill prob finish him off on them and then swap to pinkie rats. I pretty much got my hands on whatever i could at this stage cause i knew it was due for a feed

thanks. very much like it's daddy :)
started off very brown, and has gotten a way better contrast, with a lot more green in there.

started this latest one on fuzzy mice, but my yearling was started on pinky mice then rats then fuzzies.

wow thats pretty impressive if it changed so much... but sounds like yours had a change for the good :D

Yeah ya may as well use them up, saves them going to waste on ya. I can get mine individually so its a bit easier to go up a size without having a few smaller ones still left over. The reason i am going to start breeding rats is that alot of the time when i go to get rats they have the size below or the size above, which is a bit annoying, and the kids will love the rats as "pets"

Yeah ya may as well use them up, saves them going to waste on ya. I can get mine individually so its a bit easier to go up a size without having a few smaller ones still left over. The reason i am going to start breeding rats is that alot of the time when i go to get rats they have the size below or the size above, which is a bit annoying, and the kids will love the rats as "pets"

Isn't letting your kids play with rats that will become snake food a bit morbid?

Hell no...they know that the rats will be bred for food, they want to breed the rats as food, they have already asked if it can be their job. whats the difference from them looking at them in the cage or having them as "pets" (and i use that term loosley) and then feeding them? Kids will still form the same attachment weather they handle the animals or not. Morbid would be making the kids feed a live rat and forcing them to stay and watch, instead of gassing in a co2 chamber when the kids arent around.

lol yeah they'd be fine :) as long as they didnt get attached to them haha. hmmm so my python hasnt been out of its hide for a few days and nights now... and its been like this since he's been fed...normal for them to be like this for days/nights on end?

they wont get attached to em, or if they do i'll let em pick one each as a pet and then just replace them when they die of old age...how long has it been since ya little fella last shed?

not sure the last time it had a shed....its eyes were clear last time i saw it though... should i put a rock in there to assist it with shedding if it is?

My 2 older snakes dissappear into their hides a day or 2 before their eyes turn, and my darwin will go from clear-blue-clear in 36-48 hours so it sounds like ya little fella might be about to shed. A rock, stick, piece of dowel across his click clack will all help them shed. I have a rock and a fishtank ornament in with my little guy all the time, just to give him something to climb on and then if i miss his eyes changes its all there ready to go.

You might want to put some dowels in the click clack as coastals love to climb. Theres alot of tips on how to install them to click clacks around here. If he is coming upto shed just leave him for a week or so and mist his click clack lightly once a day to help with the humidity. You will be needing a bigger click clack soon lol Coastals grow pretty quickly

Good luck

been a few days and still no sign of it coming out of the hiding...dont wanna lift the hide and distract it. but i put a couple splashes of water in there. havent had time to put any dowel in there yet.. wil hopefully this coming weekend

Just that he got really dull/darker in coloration. He's not real shy and he never hides, he is always sitting ontop of his ship/log or up his tree. Have ya noticed if ya little guy has moved hides at all during the night when the house is silent? coz comming up to a slough thats the only time my oldest moves around, she wont come out if the tv or a light is on. Not sure bout my lil guy tho i still waiting for him to have his first with me.... :(

nothing at all, middle of the night if i wake up ill have a look over and its still in there... late at night before bed no sign. iits def humid enough in there, the sides of the click clack fogged up a bit...i shine a lil torch in the click clack every now and then just to make sure its still in there hahahaa

lol....i do the torch thing every night before i go to bed with all of them if they arent out of their hides. I wouldnt be to worried about him just yet, but if you want you can get him out to check him over. He might be a little snappy if he is comming up to a slough, but it is better to put your mind a rest and then leave him alone. If his eyes are clear, give him a good look over and make sure he is moving ok. Have you got him in a high traffic area of the house or in a less used room? Vibrations from footsteps, music, and other house hold appliances can stress them out simetimes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back