vegetarians: What are you doing it for??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vegetarian or not

• Norm

Votes: 66 88.0%
  • vegetarian

Votes: 3 4.0%
  • vegan

Votes: 6 8.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
all this talk about meats made me hungry im off to slaughter a cow for breakfast

I have issues with the word "norm".

The only reason we are not all vegeys is because society tells us to eat meat.

Verry normal.

P.S I eat meat.

Bees - I was taught that in TAFE while studying the importance of bush regen/revegetation

We dont use that much land becuase the population is small and the land is big, we use it because of our lifestyle, exporting and making $

Teamshermen you have a very disrespectful look on the world, The world is always changing yes, we aren't the best species of animal to live on this land when we know we are the ones helping towards its somewhat shorter life, we dont do enough to try to even 'repair' it. Do you keep any animals at all? Do you care about other life forms on the planet?

I have issues with the word "norm".

The only reason we are not all vegeys is because society tells us to eat meat.

Verry normal.

P.S I eat meat.

thats gotta be the most sensible thingive ever heard ocme out of your mouth trousa LOL

I think people can choose whatever they want to be. There are some animals though that are not acceptable to eat like companion animals like cats and dogs. I eat meat, but if there were some way in this world that we had some other material which tasted like meat (not tofu) id be all for it.

Not having a go Forensick, but whats your view on soy? I mean in respect to males and phyto-oestrogens? What about fish and heart benefits?
People do eat too much meat but in our trade(I'm a chef also) its not about survival, its about living.
Others:Some argue that red meat causes bowel cancer, but we are not designed to eat cooked meat. Well done steak sits in your stomach much longer than raw or rare. People don't just eat too much meat but too much in general. Cannot remember where I saw the article, but after the advent of cooking human food consumption more than tripled.
Celly:Saying that you shouldn't eat "companion animals" is ill informed. Dingoes are derived from dogs that were kept as a food source on sea voyages, not pets. People have been eating dogs for years. The Maori brought rats to N.Z. as a food source also. France is well known for their horse eating habits. Mortadella (or baloney to the Yanks) was originally made from donkey. I wouldn't eat cat myself, I think it would be a bit stringy. Probably have to braise it. Rabbits are cute and fuzzy, people keep them as pets yet they are an acceptable table item. Watching Bambi with my cousins makes me salivate at the thought of venison, don't get me started on Thumper!

Just to finish, there are far more important things to focus on in this world today than "Vegetarians: what are you doing it for?"
Now I'm off to work to cook +100 steaks.

i am proud to be a meat eater and to live in the only country in the world that eats its own national emblem (god bless australia :D )

one more thing i think its funny how in the poll it says norm instead of eats meat couse its the normal thing to do

Also to do with 'happy cows'

Australia is in a drought, many farmers can not afford to feed their livestock but still have many of these animals as they need to money.. no rains = no green pastures unhappy animals suffering cause ol farmer joe needs a buck

So what you are saying is that poor old farmer Joe should starve because his unhappy cows are suffering!

I'm not sure about you but I think you should get your priority's straight!

I love all animals but human life should always be put above animal life!

Again sorry if someone already said that!

I'm probably gonna get pretty flamed for that but even the bible says that human life should be put first!

Anyway I think meat is delicious, red meat, white meat, seafood, the whole darn lot. Yum yum. The one exception is horse, which I will NEVER ever eat. Just because I love horses so much, I couldn't imagine ever eating one.

We had an exchange student come to stay with us...at dinner one night she asked us if the meat we put on her plate was meat because they eat it every now and then at home and can buy it from the butchers.... :eek:
My sister freaked out because you never can REALLY tell what meat your eating, andbecame a vegetarian after that.

And a similar story..a friend went to a Korean restaurant in Strathfield recently and watched as one of the people at dinner ordered a 'mixed meat' dish and continued to eat and enjoy it when a mixture of suspicious strips of meat and dog ears were served.
:eek:
I know it's their culture and normal for them but EW!

Not having a go Forensick, but whats your view on soy? I mean in respect to males and phyto-oestrogens? What about fish and heart benefits?
People do eat too much meat but in our trade(I'm a chef also) its not about survival, its about living.
Others:Some argue that red meat causes bowel cancer, but we are not designed to eat cooked meat. Well done steak sits in your stomach much longer than raw or rare. People don't just eat too much meat but too much in general. Cannot remember where I saw the article, but after the advent of cooking human food consumption more than tripled.
Celly:Saying that you shouldn't eat "companion animals" is ill informed. Dingoes are derived from dogs that were kept as a food source on sea voyages, not pets. People have been eating dogs for years. The Maori brought rats to N.Z. as a food source also. France is well known for their horse eating habits. Mortadella (or baloney to the Yanks) was originally made from donkey. I wouldn't eat cat myself, I think it would be a bit stringy. Probably have to braise it. Rabbits are cute and fuzzy, people keep them as pets yet they are an acceptable table item. Watching Bambi with my cousins makes me salivate at the thought of venison, don't get me started on Thumper!

Just to finish, there are far more important things to focus on in this world today than "Vegetarians: what are you doing it for?"
Now I'm off to work to cook +100 steaks.

i haven't done much on soy in regard to hormone issues....
although the limited amount of reports seem to reflect some mixed results, negative and positive.
and yes, at work the meat issue is a different one (largely concerning me wanting to stab the evil *******s that order my steaks well done! seriously, its enough that the cow died for you, let it be tasty still!!!!)
i kinda have to go split personality while i'm working tho.,...
hang the lab coat up, and put the apron on, kinda thing.... otherwise i'd get too frustrated at some things!

Bees i dont think farmers should be keeping cows if they cant afford to keep them healthy. Just like you keeping a snake or similar reptile/animal, if you cant afford to feed it you shouldnt be keeping it.

I disagree with the whole humans are put about animals in a way, most people forget that we are an animal too, Top of the chain though with the ammount of knowledge and skills we are capable of. But just to say we can treat animals in any way we see fit is just wrong in my books. We surely need some ethics

And to quote a bible IMO is silly, its a fictional bool that was created by a bunch of people to tell everyone what their morals are and how they should live at the time of it being 'published' ;)

i am proud to be a meat eater and to live in the only country in the world that eats its own national emblem (god bless australia :D )

lol yeah. I love meat. Anyone ever heard of emu sausage? i tried it last week. tastes great. :)

I think people can choose whatever they want to be. There are some animals though that are not acceptable to eat like companion animals like cats and dogs. I eat meat, but if there were some way in this world that we had some other material which tasted like meat (not tofu) id be all for it.

Why are companion animals rated so highly, how are they better then a cow or sheep? They are eaten in plenty of other places in the world.

Dodie-
Yea i agree with you on the bible thing:p
I just used it as an example because more than 1,332,501,000 people in the world that follow christianity!

Also meat cannot be murder because murder is defined as

1.Law. the killing of another human being under conditions specifically covered in law. In the U.S., special statutory definitions include murder committed with malice aforethought, characterized by deliberation or premeditation or occurring during the commission of another serious crime, as robbery or arson (first-degree murder), and murder by intent but without deliberation or premeditation (second-degree murder).

5.to kill or slaughter inhumanly or barbarously.

Cows and the like are killed humanely and are not humans, therefore it cannot be murder!

http://www.spiritualworld.org/christianity/how_many.htm

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/murder

I wasn't saying meat is murder, was just trying to say that farmers shouldn't be keeping cattle if they can't afford to keep them in a healthy state.

They're not your national emblem, they're only on your coat of arms (Magpie, 2007)... And it's not just one animal, but TWO!

And they go jolly good in a bolognaise or even a curry! If the Indians had roo and emu - they prolly wouldn't eat lamb!

But on the same - yes, we're in the only country in the world that eats both of it's displayees on the coat of arms!

I guess the bald eagle and kiwi went off the menu for some reason :(

There are some animals though that are not acceptable to eat like companion animals like cats and dogs.
chow chows :D

I also read somewhere that hormones in soy products are likely to increase breast cancer predisposal

I wasn't saying meat is murder, was just trying to say that farmers shouldn't be keeping cattle if they can't afford to keep them in a healthy state.

Yea, the meat is murder part was just a bit of off topic thingo that I don't think anyone else has said!

Also its fun to say it to people who do say that kinda stuff, funny reactions!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back