Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Greebo

Snakologist
Reaction score
Okay peoples, I have started putting together imformation for a beginners handbook. I am currently working on the first chapter which is "What snake should I get?" I have broken the factors up into size, coloration & pattern, price, temprament and availability.I am thinking of putting a list of recommended species at the end of the chapter.
I want everyones input and thoughts.

My vote would be start with a childreni, people new to snakes/handling may find themselves overwhelmed when their small python becomes a BIG python. lol All depends on the individual
prospective keeper. Sounds good greebo! :)

I think you should also include a detailed licensing section, explaining especially all our NSW regulations (since you live in NSW) and explain prices of licenses, need of import/export permits. Also, include a chapter of resources like APS, ARO, Herptrader, URS, Herp Societies, all the usuals.

And especially for beginners, I think you should stress the point of using materials from around the house to make things like hides. So many beginners go to pet shops and pay huge bucks on a water bowl / food bowl / hide box and all other stuff they could get cheaply from other places.

Simon Archibald

Yep, That's all good Simon. I was trying to work this chapter by chapter to organise the imformation to avoid just being bombarded with information.
I have a list of chapters covering what you have mentioned but keep the info coming.
You don't have to use smileys if you don't want to Greg.

Maybe also detail what the dietary requirements are, pointing out that they will probably have to keep frozen rodents in their freezer and make sure their families are OK with that.

Simon Archibald

instar said:
My vote would be start with a childreni, people new to snakes/handling may find themselves overwhelmed when their small python becomes a BIG python.

By the time it becomes big they'll have had the experience surely.

I nominate Inlands for a good beginners snake.

Farkurnell said:
By the time it becomes big they'll have had the experience surely.

I agree Greg. I would also suggest that Coastals are a great snake to start with from hatchling. That was my first snake and an absolute gem!

Simon Archibald

Yep, this is the stuff I am asking for.
I think both Childrens and Inlands should be recommended as first snakes.
Simon, I was thinking of a whole chapter on feeding. Complete with tips for trouble eaters.

Well yeah, but ive still heard of people selling off snakes that they felt intimidated by, becuase they'd grown bigger or rather stronger or maybe snappier than they anticipated. even after years of keeping too. sad but true. My thinking is just to gain confidence with a smaller breed before expanding. We all know any such constraints go out the window quick, once you "get into" herps anyway, but ,you know what I mean. :wink:

Size doesn't matter! lol
Of course I'll say a Murray Darling for a 1st. But I think for a complete novice with snakes, as I was, another point is to get it a few months old and already used to being held and eating well.

And mention to the younger herpers that are still students to discuss the costs with their parents. Include Vets, because that's where the big bucks go.
Em

Maybe some sort of legend to show how easy (hardy) each species is to look after in captivity or maybe sort each species into different groups again such as childrens,stimsons etc Level 1 OR u could split the chapter up even more -small snakes for beginners, -large snakes for beginners then the difficulty level.

Is this the book instar suggested? Or are u doing ur own? Either way, should be good.

Ella
:)

another point is to get it a few months old and already used to being held and eating well.
Thats the next chapter Em. What to look for when you buy your snake.
I am thinking recommended species to be
Childrens
Spotted Pythons
Coastals
Inlands
Water Pythons
Olives (with a warning about how big they get)

Any other species people think should be recommended as a first snake?
Or does anyone disagree with any of these recommendations?

Is this the book instar suggested? Or are u doing ur own? Either way, should be good.
I am merely the scribe Ella. Everyone can contribute and will be credited with being a source if their ideas are used.

Maybe some sort of legend to show how easy (hardy) each species is to look after in captivity or maybe sort each species into different groups again such as childrens,stimsons etc Level 1 OR u could split the chapter up even more -small snakes for beginners, -large snakes for beginners then the difficulty level.

exactly what i was about to say :D like an ease of husbandry mark out of 10 or something.

i must say i chose to get a carpet as my first snake mainly because we figured that by the time he got to a decent size we would be well and truly experts by then :wink: plus it just doesnt have the same effect answering the door to those damn trick or treaters at halloween with a 3 foot snake wrapped around your neck as opposed to an 8 foot carpet lol (i think i stole that idea from mags but have been dying to do it ever since :wink: )
but anyway, since getting our childrens pythons i can definitely see why people recommend them as a first snake. my 2 have never refused a meal even during shedding and seem to generally be pretty tough little buggers. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back