Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The legend idea is a good one.
We will probably have to get votes on what level each snake should be...but please don't answer that yet.

I am thinking recommended species to be
Childrens
Spotted Pythons
Coastals
Inlands
Water Pythons
Olives (with a warning about how big they get)

:!: BIMBO ALERT :!: (hey at least i admit it lol) i was wondering why you were recommending a taipan as a first snake.... :shock: :oops:

hi greebo,
maybe list snakes to avoid as well- jungles- maybe with warnings on some others that they have a higher % of grumpy individuals than other breeds. (hard to avoid controversy!!)
i think size is an issue for a first time buyer so a good illustration of how big an enclosure it would require, how much food it eats etc.
diamonds and bredli are great handlers too!
cheers
ad

I started with 2 macs, and then got a diamond and then an Olive. All if these have been great and easy to look after.

I had a LOT oftrouble getting the olive to eat, but managed by starting with a finch, mouse scented finch, finch wing tied to a pinkie, finch wing tied to a fuzzie rat, etc. These are the sort of hints I reckon should be in the book too!

I know I'll be howled down but I disagree with Waters being a good first snake.
Fair enough, why do you think they don't make a good first snake?
I want a consensus, not merely what I think.

I think the points Bob raised about Diamonds as a first are quite valid - probably best not to suggest them as a first, but to quote him on the reasons why it's better to gain more experience.

Simon Archibald

This isn't to do with the snake chapter. But a FAQ chapter at the back would be good, even though I'm sure every thing will be covered in the book, it will be easier to go to the FAQ's when a problem arises then wading through all the information at the start. That way you can include numerous solutions to a problem that are tried and true.

Farkurnell said:
It's my opinion that they are a bit more aggressive as hatchlings than most other species.

I've heard similar from a number of breeders, but have no experience with Waters myself. Though, everyone I know who owns adults or who has bought adults says they are like puppy dogs when full-grown.

Simon Archibald

I reckon small blotched pythons are the best beginners snake compared to childreni. Don't grow too large but a bit larger than a childreni, Usually have much nicer colouring and patterning to childreni, are easier to start feeding than hatchling childreni. And generally considering the amount of handling given, have quite a nice temperament. My male small blotched, which was my first python, is now 7 years old and comes to the front of the enclosure everytime someone is in the room, and then will just crawl up my arm and onto my shoulders.

But a FAQ chapter at the back would be good, even though I'm sure every thing will be covered in the book
Yes Ella, there will have to be a chapter on that. That will make an interested thread when I get to that chapter.

Greg, good point about the snappy water python hatchlings. That might be disconcerting for a beginner.

Okay How is this looking?

Recommended first snakes:
Childrens/stimpsons/spotteds
Inland CARPET Python
Coastal Carpets
Bredlis
Small Blotched pythons
Olives

Not recommended:
Jungles
BHP's
Green Tree Snakes

There are probably more snakes you should not get first (elapids obviously).
Any thoughts?

Me thinks what ever you suggest, mention that although those species are reccomended, every snake has its own personality and so there may be some exceptions (i.e. problem feeders, temperament etc).

I also think that you should include licencing details for every state, not just NSW.

Zoe, your not the only bimbo around here... I too had to wonder why someone would reccomend an inland taipan to a virgin snake owner :D I thought it was a pretty joke personally.

lmao yeah i thought it was a joke too but then i realised there werent any :wink: 's or :D 's so i thought again...aqnd realised i am a bimbo lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back