Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well Greebs, my first snake was Bredli and I can't reccommend them enough. Docile, good handlers and a dream to feed. I would reccommend them as a first snake anytime.

Why aren't BHPs good for a first snake? Besides price, they are no harder to look after than a childrens.

LOL i just realised what your avatar was zoe :lol:

africancichlidau said:
Well Greebs, my first snake was Bredli and I can't reccommend them enough. Docile, good handlers and a dream to feed. I would reccommend them as a first snake anytime.

So was mine, although I love her to death, she is a handful and a half to say the least :p

another idea, and ignore this if it has already been said, is a section on the size of the housing.
in the recent months i have come into contact with a few more snake keepers in the local area, and they buy these ridiculous sized houses for their tiny little hatchling snakes....
they seem to think it is cruel to put a 30cm snake into a house under 1 metre long,
then wonder why the snake is snappy, or just skittish.

My first snakes were yearling WPs. Mind you I did a lot of study before purchasing the animals and was aware of their reputation. And of all the species I now have, they are the only species that haven't bit me yet.
But now I would recommend Bredli, power eaters, good colors and tame down quickly.

i think this is awesome to see this happening and congrats to greebs and everyone who has posted ideas this will turn out great i think. And i must agree with NoOne bhp's can be good first snakes but its the money that is involved i think that would turn a first snake owner off. my first snake was a bhp and it was a dream to handle and feed. but i think the list you have made is good and i think murray darlings are awesome first snakes, as my younger brother (he is 9) got a murray for his first.

Hi there,

just my $0.02~

I have a few friends who bought maccy's (I would recommended greatly as first snake, not too big and usually great temp) but the breeder had only been feeding them skinks, and now of course, they are refusing mice.

I think it would be a good idea to mention to beginner's that they make sure that the snake they buy have been feeding on preferably thawed warm-bloods, otherwise this is a major problem and has costed many beginners lots of vet bills for assist feeding.

Just my opinion, anyway. :wink:

~N

Maybe some sort of legend to show how easy (hardy) each species is to look after in captivity
This idea is giving me some trouble but I think it has merit and I would like to use it if possible.
I need ideas on how this should be set out. Should it be a little bar graph with say Temprament,Appearance,Cost etc....
If so, how do you gauge these?Do a poll and take the average?
Or should it be a score like 7/10. If so how do you arrive at that score?
Everyone has different tastes and ideas.
Any ideas would be very helpful.
How can this be done??

I think a phrase for each attribute.

eg.
temperament: docile (possible alternatives - snappy, can be snappy, aggressive, psychotic)

availability: freely available (or regularly available, seasonally available, uncommon, rarely available, scarce etc)

cost: cheap (or middle range, expensive, very expensive, 5 year loan)

Care: Easy (or hardy, advanced, temperamental, difficult)

I don't think you should attach prices, because that will immediately 'date' the publication, as prices will change frequently. Also, prices may vary from area to area.

For the same reason, don't publish the cost of a licence. But certainly detail the types of licences available in each state and who to obtain one from.

Appearance can be described, but cannot be graded/compared to other species (like 7/10) because everyone has different ideas on what looks good and what doesn't, and there is a great deal of individual variation within some species, like diamonds and Coastals. Photos of the species should be sufficient.

Hix

Also, I think it would be good to include the various names, nick-names and acronyms that can be used for each species.

It took me hours of trawling through old threads to work out what each species discussed on forums such as this were eg BHP, Mac, Chondro, GTP, M/D etc etc...seems silly I know but for a beginner it can slow the learning process down (as it did for me).

Also, I know you have chosen to omit diamonds but I've had three diamonds at diferent times in my life (aged 14,17 and 30) and they have all been extremely hardy and friendly. Also great looking snakes.

Greebo, awesome idea. Can we reccomend stimi's for best first python in WA. Our licensing system has it's first pythons on a Cat 3 license (no experience needed) and only allows a choice of carpets or stimis. Haven't had any experience with carpets but have found stimis are easy to keep, feed, handle and very bullet proof. Wouldn't reccomend Bhp's as they are much fussier and you need a Cat 4 license which involves at least a year's proven keeping experience. Just another opinion for you.

I was thinking more of a general rating of the species as a whole (like five star hotels - 1 star not a good idea for beginners...) but what u've got there is a good idea Hix, a quick easy reference guide to the species. U could maybe add
Housing: then minimum requirements
Size: average size

Also, for the picture section, personally i like to see multiple pics of each species, showing different colour forms / localities and stating where the animal originates from eg tennant creek stimsoni

Ella,

I was just giving a few examples, there are several more that could be listed in this way. However, I think minimum housing should be somewhere else, as it is usually size related and not species related. Perhaps in a general overview on housing.

The Queensland Finch Society produced a couple of great books some years ago, multiple authors writing chapters on species they were experienced with, but each chapter following a set format so they were all pretty consistent. Made finding the info you wanted a hell of a lot easier, and I imagine made writing it easier for the authors.

Hix

I like Ellas idea on the 5 star rating. At least you can go half stars and stuff like that. Have a legend at the beginning of the book to explain what the ratings mean. Nice and simple.

first let me say i think this is a great idea.
i have been into reptiles for about 6 mounths and found that in the begining there is a lot of worring about your new found freinds due to the lack of knowledge.
i think the following would be good inclusions
- info on care for the first few weeks . i have come accross a few people who have bought hatchlings and were told they were ok and not snappy. they have taken them home put them into an unfamiliar enclosure and with in a day cant go near there new pet as they are now snappy. so i feel info on the does and donts in this area would be very important.

out of all the snakes in my collection my olives are by far the best as a first pet. i know they get big but they are so inquisitive and easy to handle, my coastles are probly the worst as hatchlings as far as handling goes they allways seem snappy. once they get older though they are great .

Also, for the picture section, personally i like to see multiple pics of each species, showing different colour forms / localities and stating where the animal originates from eg tennant creek stimsoni

i agree, most books just have pics of the spectacular specimens that you will pay twice the price for. for eg: there should be pics of high yellow diamonds as well as black and whites and the mainly blacks.

Hix said:
I think a phrase for each attribute.

eg.
temperament: docile (possible alternatives - snappy, can be snappy, aggressive, psychotic)

availability: freely available (or regularly available, seasonally available, uncommon, rarely available, scarce etc)

cost: cheap (or middle range, expensive, very expensive, 5 year loan)

Care: Easy (or hardy, advanced, temperamental, difficult)

I don't think you should attach prices, because that will immediately 'date' the publication, as prices will change frequently. Also, prices may vary from area to area.

For the same reason, don't publish the cost of a licence. But certainly detail the types of licences available in each state and who to obtain one from.

I much prefer this system than a star-ratings system - this way you are told exactly what the snake will be like (as best as can be described anyway). Also, not publishing prices for the reason stated above is also a good idea.

Simon Archibald

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back