Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
thanks, i have sold her since that photo as i was having trouble lifting her, but she ate rabbits and quail :)

Yes I assumed that's what he meant.

What Cockney probably meant when he said the intergrade is the biggest Morelia is it's the biggest in the Morelia spilota species because the scrubby (Morelia amethystina) is actually the biggest in the Morelia genus at the moment (discounting the rumoured giant Oenpelli python)

Google works wonders. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morelia_(genus)
There is more than just carpets in the Morelia genus.

What I was getting at is the guy I quoted was having a dig, but isn't an Coastal intergrade a Morelia?

Or was he saying that the "largest Morelia" part was wrong because scrubs are Morelia and they are larger?

Morelia is a genus that includes a couple of different species. It isn't all Aussie pythons though. The other genuses (geni?) include Antaresia, Aspidites, Liasis and probably one or two I can't think of at the moment. Morelia spilota is the "carpet python" species. What Cockney probably meant when he said the intergrade is the biggest Morelia is it's the biggest in the Morelia spilota species because the scrubby (Morelia amethystina) is actually the biggest in the Morelia genus at the moment (discounting the rumoured giant Oenpelli python)

Sorry I didn't even see this

thanks, i have sold her since that photo as i was having trouble lifting her, but she ate rabbits and quail :)

And the odd miniature pony and stray great Dane.

That story about the 18ft coastal reminds me of a news paper article we were shown when we did our venomous snake handling course, a snake catcher in Kingaroy was quoted by the newspaper as saying that "there were a lot of brown snakes around at this time of year, and it's only going to get worse, he'd just last week removed a 5metre brown snake from around the town lol"

a 5 metre brown snake! lol what is it with silly stories of 20ft browns and coastals

I know what you mean, though a 5m brown would be a bloody interesting thing to stumble across and try and catch if it did exist lol no snake hook could be big enough in my opinion :)

Was a little bored so did a photoshop job extending one of the bredli's already posted. Theres some obvious signs its photoshoped but it passes at first glance
bredli.jpg

There are some nice, healthy looking gentle giants here. I love the bredli out on the grass :D

I don't own my olives anymore but I still have their photos. These were my giants and only half grown. I do have a couple of big carpets but weight wise they would never match the olives at the same length.

Here is my beautiful girl - Stella
0052.jpg

And my handsome fella - Marlow
0412.jpg

They're still my babies :D, even if someone else owns them now. :(

Yummo, I've never owned a big olive but I've met some astonishing beasts in NW Arnhem Land. A couple of them I had to remove from the Eco resort swimming pool often enough that we had mutual recognition and they just came along quietly lol

I met another one that broke all the rules in terms of size and I went to the other side of the bay to discuss it with the TO. He was very concerned that it had moved and was very grave in his warning that these " two snakes eat people, dont stay around that one"

Never saw it again but where I met it the fire break was 1 and 1/2 widths of a D9 dozer blade and neither head or tail were on the track. It was huge. It must've recently shed because it had the skin rainbows of a water python.

I know, no pics it didn't happen but it did. I have a witness (not sure she fully recovered)

1 and a half times the width of a D9, holy hell, I've worked with D9's enough to know that is one massive snake.

would have been fantastic to get a pic of a snake that size

My girlfriend at the time was with me checking the lease boundary track at sunrise to see where the animals were (banteng cattle, timor ponies, buffalo, sambar deer, etc) (sandy so you can see the tracks clearly) so I could set up the guiding schedule for the day.

I didn't know but she had a phobia about slugs and the big (I assume) girl lying there glistening and massive freaked her out completely. I gave it a prod and it S bended up, still no sign of the head. Got to get your priorities right so I looked after the girlfriend and got her back to base.

When I got back I couldnt track it so next step was to cross Port Essington in a tinny to talk to the man who knew all things about these parts. He wasn't surprised at all, but emphasised that these snakes were known, there were two who hunted together and should be left alone. Made sense to me (but my eyes were peeled whenever I was in that vicinity.

How long ago?

With indeterminate growth and all there are some remote places up North where there could be some big old herps still hiding.

I'd love to see a really old saltie with plenty of food a survivor from before the skin trade, I'm sure there would be one out there somewhere

That was in 1991. Cobourg Peninsula, There was (prior to the building of a small eco tourism resort) zero population over a huge area on the western side of Port Essington. There is still no road there today. And yes the crocs are huge and plentiful.

Most of the animals had never seen a human so buffs would run away terrified and the dominant mare in the Timor Pony herds would run up and sniff you all over trying to work out what the hell you were.

I also had an eyeball to eyeball with the biggest king brown I've ever seen. I'm 6 foot and our heads were level, It's head was the size of my fist. I agreed that the monsoon forest belonged to him and discretely wandered off in the opposite direction lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back