Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That was in 1991. Cobourg Peninsula, There was (prior to the building of a small eco tourism resort) zero population over a huge area on the western side of Port Essington. There is still no road there today. And yes the crocs are huge and plentiful.

Most of the animals had never seen a human so buffs would run away terrified and the dominant mare in the Timor Pony herds would run up and sniff you all over trying to work out what the hell you were.

I also had an eyeball to eyeball with the biggest king brown I've ever seen. I'm 6 foot and our heads were level, It's head was the size of my fist. I agreed that the monsoon forest belonged to him and discretely wandered off in the opposite direction lol.

That's a damn big Kingy

How much of its body can a snake like a brown hold off the ground? Is that story true or a wind up?

How much of its body can a snake like a brown hold off the ground? Is that story true or a wind up?
8820_174188601498_566876498_3724914_5330913_n.jpg

this is a wild brown snake having a go at my leg

OK so 2/3 of it's entire length is up in the air. That means another 3 foot could potentially be added onto the snake steveNT talked about, making it around 9ft.

Anyone heard of a brown getting this big? Is it true that taipans can get to 14ft?

I'd say it would be more like half. Maybe Rob could verify but that pic looks almost like it's "jumping" as it tries to strike. So more of the body would be in the air than it could comfortably hold up for an extended period

So then you're saying that we could approximately add another 6ft of snake onto this thing?

Not quite, though Kingy's do get very big. Have a look in the elapid thread, I think Rob ($NaKe PiMp) has posted some pictures with him holding 2 huge Australis. That will give you an idea...

I also had an eyeball to eyeball with the biggest king brown I've ever seen. I'm 6 foot and our heads were level, It's head was the size of my fist. I agreed that the monsoon forest belonged to him and discretely wandered off in the opposite direction lol.
That would scare the hell out of me :\

Last edited:

True story. Cobourg is absolutely unique in Australia. First Territory National Park, Frist Territory Marine Park, First place to be handed back to the TO's under Native Title. British settlement 1838-49 hence all the crazy animals there. Only 10 vehicles allowed in the 2000sq km Park at one time. Only one road. Tiny population (around 30- there are more Iwaidja but many live in Jabiru or Darwin.) People wait for years to get a permit.

I can get one without drama because I lived there for 3 years, know everyone and I'm the only white fella to have walked the entire peninsula.

Graham Gow did not dispute my story for an instant, he always maintained if new species were going to be found Cobourg would be the place. There is still bugger all research going on there, except for some micro bat studies.

OK so 2/3 of it's entire length is up in the air. That means another 3 foot could potentially be added onto the snake steveNT talked about, making it around 9ft.

Anyone heard of a brown getting this big? Is it true that taipans can get to 14ft?
There is a photo in Richard Shine's "Snakes - A Natural History" book, of someone holding a king brown, it was the same length as the person's height. They say they can easily be mistaken for water pythons

How do you handle carpets and other large snakes when they get to 2+ metres in length?

I'm going to assume its good to have another person around incase they decide they dont like you...

do you keep their head pointed away from you?

do you just let them to their own thing and wander?

do you keep them from being around your body?

Already prepped for the fact my (murray) darling is going to be larger than life just not sure how to handle him outside of his enclosure...

Ive posted these pics before, but this is a good thread for them.

Attachments

• m olive.......jpg
    m olive.......jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 259
  • f olive...jpg
    f olive...jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 252
WOW!!! my olive is no where near that size but I still thought he was huge... Lucky he is placid or I would be in for a treat lol actually can't wait till he is that big thou!!

Thanks
Olives are a great snake, luckily due to there size, most are docile.

I caught it, but didn't know if I was confusing spotteds for something else. I know stimmies are small, too.

I'll upload the pics and get rid of the links.

OK here we go

Bredli
ef9a81a1-Copy.png

66030faf-Copy.png

679ebc3b.png

Nice jungle, dodgy perspective but it's large, even though he's holding it out infront of him.

Leviathon2.jpg

Huge coastal, 14.3kg apparently

fcoastal143kg.jpg

Last but not least, the diamond beast.

Monster20Interg114-Copy-Copy.jpg

Giant2520Diamond3-Copy.jpg

It's got a head like a bloody Staffy. Photoshop?

I have no idea what locality mine are, Dan. Any idea by looking at them? How long will it take for them to be full size usually? I know there are variables, but 3 years, or can they grow longer? Is it true that snakes have indeterminate growth?
HOLY ******!!!! That bredli is A monster, :O photoshop? And that coastal and diamond are impressive I can't wait for my boys to get that size :

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back