Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Did i say i was old? I don't remember saying i was old? My memory must be failing me?
I did say no offence intended, and that was genuine, but whatever.

Parko said:
Oh yeah sometimes old fashioned dudes like me forget about the future :wink:

Ok you implied you were old....! good enough !!
yes you did say "no offence intended" & none has been taken....why does everyone on here think your arguing when a topic gets going ??? is it an australian thing ?

The written word is taken to seriously in forums from all over the globe as far as i've seen moreliaman, perhaps i should type ''i am sitting here calmly and lightheartedly conversing in a very mellow manner'' at the end of each post.

Well if you’re going to take everything to the extreme, then yes that would be better than assuming everyone is arguing with you!
but hey,,,,up to you eh !! :wink:

Parko said:
The written word is taken to seriously in forums from all over the globe as far as i've seen.
p.s just because others do, mean you have to follow suit ?? i dont !! :?

From what I know of the UK, USA and European market is that pure animals are available and it's not like you have to scour the country for them. Morphs are definitely more popular hence the fact that pure animals are fewer, as Moreliaman said.
The purists usually get far more heated in these discusions probably because they feel as though the 'mongrels' are going to over run their pure animals.
From a personal point of view I have 99% pure animals and will only breed pure animals from these, now that isn't to say that I wont dabble in other things in the future and I have no trouble being up front about that. Honesty is the best policy.

Moreliaman said:

LMAO nope can't say i was ''following suit'' by taking anyone too seriously, i can understand your initial sensitive reaction to my comments but if everyones happy now then that is just wonderful, now we can get on with this interesting discussion on the new findings which haven't been made public yet and nobody seems to know anything interesting about.

Well from what I understand the findings have been made public and some do know things of interest but I am trying to find out who knows. :)

Well when you know let us know, then it may be somewhat more interesting than the usual hybrid love vs hybrid hate thread.

Moreliaman said:
well by youre own admission you thought i was getting angry.!

Parko said:
i can understand your initial sensitive reaction to my comments but if everyones happy now then that is just wonderful, now we can get on with this interesting discussion on the new findings which haven't been made public yet and nobody seems to know anything interesting about.

so you start off claiming you know my personality by assuming i reacted to one of your comments in a particular way! ! ..................& then end it being sarcastic.......which is fair enough ......i like a bit of sarcasum!! :lol: <-- best put a smiley there or people could read into this post the wrong way ! :wink:

Exactly, why it got turned into another tired old hybrid thread I don't know, it would have been nice if it had stayed on topic. I assumed a few wouldn't find it interesting but that's always going to be the case.

wow ....there are some real eye openers in this thread :roll:

if there is anything ive taken away from this site its to keep your opinion to yourself and just sit back and watch these jokers go at it :D :D

it seems like your going out on a limb aking for advice or info from some folks

get to see some good pics though :wink:

Yes I can't disagree with that.

'it seems like your going out on a limb aking for advice or info from some folks'

these debates always get heated..... the being a purist, I find the crux of the matter to simply be that the pure line breeders will have no effect on the hybrid breeders stock, but those who breed hybrids can pollute the locality breeders stock by a hybrid accidentally infecting the pure lines, anywhere in the generations preceeding the animal in question.

Unfortunately, the only group of keepers that will be affected are the purist breeders.... throughout the short life of legal amateur herping in this country many unscrupulous keepers/breeders have already raised their ugly heads, and as hybrid snakes become more popular, and as generations go on, the pollution of pure lines will continue at an exponential rate.

The problem isnt really with the hybrid snakes, more-so the human condition.

good point ihaveherps.................but im asuming you dont like crossbreeds !! :lol:
although i'd like to know how this hybrid is going to manage to get into the purists stock ? is the purist going to allow the xbreeding ?? what self respecting purist would allow it to happen....because when dealing with captive animals i cant envisage an "acidential pairing" ever happening !!

theres a "part" solution to the human condition.......its called education/information. :wink:

crackers im starting to think that too mate ! best to keep opinions to yourself ......or they'll think youre arguing !! :roll:

TrueBlue said:
well think about it boa, they are NOT genetically identical, look at the size and patteren differences, thats all down to genetics, and they are miles apart in most cases there.????

Notechis is another example, some people are now saying that N.scutatus and N.ater are actually the same species, yet they are totally different colours and N.a. serventyi are giants compared with N.scutatus. And I'm fairly sure (don't quote me on this) that the venoms are slighly different as well.

Moreliaman, I am a pure stock keeper, how could you tell? lol.

I dont hate hybrids, I dont trust everyone is more correct.

eg. I do the right thing, i inform everyone that buys my clutch of 20 jungle x coastals of what they are, they are all sold to different homes and are happy knowing with what they own. 3yrs later all the hatchys in their respective homes are bred and have 20 each in their clutches... if all of these owners are honest about the linage there will be 420 of these hybrids out there (400 hatchys and the 20 originals).... how long can we honestly expect that everyone in the chain will have ethics, when a pure jungle can cost up to $800 and hybrids are pushing to hit $200 in the current market here.

The entire problem is the human element.

My apologies Boa for taking this thread off the original subject, but I am enjoying the civil debate with Moreliaman...

No apology necessary. This is exactly how these debates should be. I happen to agree with what you are saying. Of course nothing is going to stop this sort of thing happening, there are unfortunately lots of untrustworthy sorts in this game.

This has turned into a real good thought provoking thread.
It will be interesting to re-read and get individuals thoughts on the topic 5 years from now, just to see how things have changed, as Duga stated earlier, 3 years ago, you were strung up if you had or spoke about breeding Hybrids/intergrades, it was Oh, those yanks are terrible for doing what they do, they have no pure this and that, nowadays, most are admiring there animals on sites like 'Morelia Pythons'.

I truely believe that alot more people than you would think actually have crosses to some degree or another, the Antaresia group are one that I believe has been crossed loads in the past and sold as a pure this or that.
I know people that have bought from respected breeders that have been sold crosses, but were told they were pure.

Neil

boa said:
Of course nothing is going to stop this sort of thing happening, there are unfortunately lots of untrustworthy sorts in this game.

No doubt there are some less than honest people who will sell their experiments as purebreds but it can just as easily happen without intentional dishonesty. If you end up with a cross without actually knowing it and breed it true to what you believe it to be then sell the offspring as pure, you can potentially introduce a tainted bloodline to the whole of Australias captive population (or worse).

This has already happened in Australian aviculture and there are almost certainly complete populations of captive foreign birds which are not pure. I believe the Red Cheeked Cordon Bleu is an example of such. All the specimens of this species in Australia are probably tainted with another species.

Neil, that was certainly the intention and it has mostly been good. I think the next 5 years are going to be huge for everyone purist and non purist alike. I can't wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back