Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What was your first snake?

• Children's/Spotted/Stimson's Python

Votes: 68 36.8%
  • Coastal Carpet

Votes: 23 12.4%
  • Jungle Carpet

Votes: 13 7.0%
  • Bredli

Votes: 16 8.6%
  • Other Carpet

Votes: 20 10.8%
  • Black Headed Python

Votes: 4 2.2%
  • Olive Python

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • Diamond Python

Votes: 14 7.6%
  • Other Python

Votes: 8 4.3%
  • Elapid or Colubrid

Votes: 16 8.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

aussie.snakes

Reaction score
What was your first snake and what were the problems you had with keeping them?

My first was a coastal carpet. He was great but didn't want to eat when I first got him. Didn't take long though and he was (and still is) a guts.

Jungle, she's still a bit nervous but that's my own fault for not handling her as much as I should.

Port Mac/Intergrade here. She is beautiful in looks and temperament.

Can we brighten up this poll with a photo of your first snake?
This is my first python - a female named Opals.
P1030958.jpg

re What

My first python was a carpet in 1969,it was about 2 M long and originated from brunswick heads,it had been in captivity for a period of time and was a really good feeder and it wasnt snappy,kept it in a huge ply packing container they used back then for shipping with a small window that faced north.
Back then the going rate for adult carpets was about 10 dollars on average and 20 dollars for a diamond,in comparrison an adult common bluetongue was 1 dollar and a blotched bluetongue which were all the orange and black NSW types were 2 dollars,on the weekend you would get the sunday telegraph fo the free adverts section,thats where all the reptile adverts were placed.

My first was a hatchie brown tree snake. Even in the beginning I've always liked the speed and activity of colubrids.

I had the usual troubles of a baby BTS, his first 2 feeds or so were assisted, (mostly by me shoving the pinky into his unwilling gob). But he did fantastically after that.

Looking back, I guess a non-feeding BTS wasn't exactly a great first snake, but it certainly made everthing since seem easy and friendly ^_^

My first python was a carpet in 1969,it was about 2 M long and originated from brunswick heads,it had been in captivity for a period of time and was a really good feeder and it wasnt snappy,kept it in a huge ply packing container they used back then for shipping with a small window that faced north.
Back then the going rate for adult carpets was about 10 dollars on average and 20 dollars for a diamond,in comparrison an adult common bluetongue was 1 dollar and a blotched bluetongue which were all the orange and black NSW types were 2 dollars,on the weekend you would get the sunday telegraph fo the free adverts section,thats where all the reptile adverts were placed.

Wow. I guess back then though, $10 was the same as we value $200.

My Jungle when I first got her:
ATH0713.jpg

Picture from about 2 months ago:
Mesaana3.jpg

I bought my first snakes whilst on holiday in Brisbane. 1966 Two adult wild caught carpets purchased from a local pro. catcher for the sum of $6.00! That was $3.00 each!

The first Snake I had was a Grass Snake (Natrix Natrix) back in England as an 11 year old (30 odd years ago) . My 1st snake in Aus was/is a Bredli and I've never had a single problem with him in any way . I reckon they make a great 1st snake.

Most old time herpers in coastal NSW started with the old swamp snakes which were found in nearly everyones backyards

Mine was a Bredli that was a clone of the devil!!!! Extremely aggresive and never mellowed down we have since parted ways!!!

My 1st Pet Snakes.

l got my 1st Pet Children's Python in 1989, then in early 1990 l got my 1st Coastal Carpet Python, then in mid 1990 l got my 1st Water Python.

Cheers,

Les.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back