Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
lol I remember as a kid I asked the teacher "why dont the spiders ever get stuck on there webs if it's so sticky?".She simply told me that was an excellent question I deserved a stamp then asked if anyone else had more questions... she never did bloody answer me :(

Point to PythonGuy

Fangs: 4
Reptile Rascals: 18
Gregory: 1
Sarahbell: 2.5
Popp: 6.5
Nicole:1
Stevethepom: 3
Morelia Man: 2.5
Greebo: 1
Muddz:2.5
Slateman: 1.5
Ackie: 3
Python Guy:1

This on is for reptile Rascals: Why don't spiders get stuck on their webs??

Some spiders have two or three claws at the tip of each leg. In web-weaving spiders, one of these claws has a special area that is used for hooking on to the strands of the web. The spider can use this special claw to swing from strand to strand without having to touch the sticky part of the web. In this way, a spider can move quickly over its web without getting stuck.

Most webs are made of at least two types of silk, the anchor silk (that the spider uses to move around on) and the sticky snare silk (that insects get stuck on). Just in case the spider slips, it has a special oily substance that helps to stop it getting stuck in its own web.

Even though every spider makes some kind of silk, not all the types of silk are the same. There are at least six or seven kinds of silk glands found in spiders, and each gland makes its own kind of silk.

Different silks are used for web-building, wrapping food, or for encasing an egg sac. Spider silk may or may not be sticky, depending on whether or not it is being used to catch food.

Hahaha now gimme the point :p

I was watching a doco about spiders and it said if you could make a web with pencil thick strands you could catch a jumbo jet at full spead in flight. MAkes sence why the military want to harness this and use it in there bullet proof vests etc.

I saw that one too Jeremy...No-one believed me! Good to see that people now know I wasnt making it up!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back