Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
trader said:
and bex thanx again for your input on beardie food. I learnt something new from you and appreciate it! Your greeting cards have been and will be a BIG hit! They are gorgeous! :wink:

Awww, you're more than welcome hun!! I was happy to be of assistance!! It was just so much fun being with you guys - and again, a valuable source of information!! :D
As for the cards - thanks ;) Both my Mum and mother in law both loved them with the lil gex on them!! It's just such a cute design :D Plus the making of them kept me occupied for the whole day ;) ;)
Bex

You get an export permit from your home state to export all animals you want to bring with you. You get an import permit from DSE to bring those same animals into Victoria. You get a temporary demonstrators licence to be able to display animals on the day of the expo. You can arrange sales and even accept money for particular animals but you can't actually hand them over to the buyer on the day. You get an export permit from DSE to export the original animals out of Victoria (any others that may have been bought from other vendors would be on export permits that they have to organise) and an import permit from your home state to bring all those animals back in again. Pretty simple I thought? That was for this year anyway, as I said it may change next year.

You do have to state the person you are exporting to, so would you export to yourself? And then what do you put down for an address - the venue? It costs $20 for a permit each way from NSW, so that is an extra cost along with shipping all the animals and enclosures and all the necessary equipment to look after them. It seems pretty simple, but there is a lot you have to go through to possibly sell one snake or lizard etc etc. Which then makes it not worthwhile. It's a pitty because events like these would be awesome if each major city held one annually or it rotated from yr to yr. But until the NPWS of each state get together and make interstate trading much easier, it will always be a hassle.

Well that's what we have to work on isn't it huggles ;). I think someone else said earlier that perhaps if the expos become more regular - even if it's just known as an annual thing - each state's department can work out some sort of system for it. If they know that every year a heap of people will be applying to bring a bunch of animals down for a Vic expo maybe they could do something similar and have like a temporary movement advice or whatever you call it lol. And don't forget everyone, interstate and Vic, that it doesn't have to be big breeders only that have tables...if you only have a few animals to sell you could always get together with a few friends and share the cost of a table :D

The DSE were very accomodating with this expo and made it possible (from our side anyway) for interstate vendors to come for the day. Since we now have approx 1 year (no date is set yet) til the next one we're hoping that it will be enough time for interstaters to work something out with their departments :D

I'll DEFINATELY be at the next one - with some live beardies this time lol
I'm assuming that as soon as you guys have set a date (in concrete) and price for tables, it will be very public?? I just want to make sure that I don't miss out :D
And I have roped in an assistant for next years ;)
Bex :)

A temporaary movement advice would be great Zo, but whether NPWS agrees is another thing. I am sure that ppl like John Weigal will be trying to make it happen which is a good thing.

Well, sounds like it was a good day, if it wasn't in VIC I would have gone :wink:

It would be nice to have one in NSW that's for sure, unfortunately the no trading rule wouldn't make it as good as the VIC one. Sounds like it could have benefited from elapids, but I can't begin the imagine the PLI costs over that. The big issue I would have personally with ever attending/bringing animals (spiders or whatever) would be the quarantine issues. I would have considered it quite strongly if I had the stock to attend this year, more to get the word out about tarantulas than anything else.

Was there definately a vet checking animals as they came in on the day? Saying the albino had mites is a pretty big call........

but whether NPWS agrees is another thing

Lol I know! That's why we have to wait and see what happens. Hopefully John has a chat to them about it cos it would be fantastic to see some of the ranch animals there! But that's up to him of course lol :D

If it goes well and John gets his animals down there, it will be pretty awesome, he will be your biggest display down there for sure and with some pretty unique animals if they are not being readied for breeding.

hugsta said:
If it goes well and John gets his animals down there, it will be pretty awesome, he will be your biggest display down there for sure and with some pretty unique animals if they are not being readied for breeding.

i think there might be a battle for the biggest displays ;)

and nome, yes there was a vet, and i know who owned all the albinos, and there was no mites. No one who has an albino would even let there snake have mites.

I would also find it hard to believe that someone with an albino would display an animal with mites.

I agree souly, get a few big name breeders with lots of money behind them and these expos could become quite large. It all boils back to one thing, the NPWS rulings and the ability of being able to move animals interstate with ease.

must have been a misquote due to strong accents :roll:
Surely no one would make such a claim malisciously :shock:

hugsta said:
Mites on an albino, either your seeing things or someone needs a good kick up the behind for allowing an animal like that to have mites for one and letting get into the show in that condition for another. Very poor either way, unless you weren't wearing your glasses... ;-) :D

OzBoy does have a point about the vet check, the Albino carpet at the Artificial rock backround display clearly had highly mobile back dots running around. If they were not mites what were they ?

I also travelled from interstate & wanted to buy as well so it was a disappointment not being able to, if the displayer had a license & I had a license for that species you would think that there would some way to do the transfer considering the amount of wildlife officers present.

Again not a complaint just a observation, I loved the day & will attend the next one. Well done to the organisers.

Jason

I don't think it's a matter of 'letting your snakes have mites', it's not exactly hard to get them...nearly everyone has a experience with them at some time or another, it''s how you handle it that makes the difference and if you quarantine your animals.

That's my point..it's a pretty big call to make if it wasn't true. I'm not having a go at anyone, I just would want to know if I went in the following years that animals were properly vet checked on entry and refused entry if something contagious was found wrong with them, ie mites. It's just safe measures when animals are together in a large indoor place.

It sounds like it was a great success and can only get bigger the following years.

The thing about mites though, the eggs can be promoted to hatch by transporting them by plane for some reason. Pick up your new pets that have shown no mite infestation and whammo, next morning the little bastardos are lining up for breakfast.
Must be something about pressure increase and decrease.

peterescue said:
The thing about mites though, the eggs can be promoted to hatch by transporting them by plane for some reason. Pick up your new pets that have shown no mite infestation and whammo, next morning the little bastardos are lining up for breakfast.
Must be something about pressure increase and decrease.

As stated no big deal about the mites & obviously not having a go at the owner at all (I would love them myself), the mites could have come from the enclosure if the snake was donated ect. The whole point was just backing up OzBoy in his observations. Again a great day & well done to all involved.

Jason

They weren't mites. It was the substrate in the display cage. I knows these albinos, and have seen them a number of times. I also saw them after the expo when everyone had left and the albino was being bagged for the journey home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back