Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah, so much for all the above claims that it will be sold as it is................ got to love those hybrids......

Can somebody tell me how you can tell a diamond python is 100% pure by
looking at it ??
I've always wanted to know this, as I'm a bit slow & thick when it comes to identification ??
I know of a breeder who has " perfect looking Diamonds " - won club comps to prove a piont, then let everybody know that one off the parents was a intergrade 1 generation ago !!!
He's no longer a member of that club or this site.

Just wanted to add my opinion. Its only in Australia that there is such an issue with a snake being pure or not. The rest of the world is a lot less narrow minded about things like that. An animals genetic origin can not be established by just looking at it, its even less likely to tell if an animal is species true due to its colour.The only way it can be assessed is by genetic testing, and i have found that in Australia (within the herp community) there are lots of animals with questionable origin. So unless you caught it in the bush originally you would not know for sure!!! I wish people would get of their high horses about this hole purity issue and appreciate snakes in captivity for what they are worth!!!! They are snakes in captivity! Never to be released back into the wild unless someone is negligent enough to leave their cages unlocked. The hobby will change in the next few years and have started changing already!!!!

Just wanted to add my opinion. Its only in Australia that there is such an issue with a snake being pure or not. The rest of the world is a lot less narrow minded about things like that. An animals genetic origin can not be established by just looking at it, its even less likely to tell if an animal is species true due to its colour.The only way it can be assessed is by genetic testing, and i have found that in Australia (within the herp community) there are lots of animals with questionable origin. So unless you caught it in the bush originally you would not know for sure!!! I wish people would get of their high horses about this hole purity issue and appreciate snakes in captivity for what they are worth!!!! They are snakes in captivity! Never to be released back into the wild unless someone is negligent enough to leave their cages unlocked. The hobby will change in the next few years and have started changing already!!!!

You're missing the point. We're angry about hybrids for this reason, that it's getting harder and harder to tell what's pure, and it really shouldn't be like this.

Its not a hybrid if it has any chance of reproducing. A HYBRID IS AN INFERTILE OFFSPRING. IE IF A HORSE AND A DONKEY MATE, THEY PRODUCE NON-VIABLE OFFSPRING - A MULE.

A diamond Morelia s. spilota and a coastal Morelia spilota mcdowelli/imbricata/metcalfi/variegata will produce viable offspring,a nd therfore, using the genetic definition of a hybrid, WILL NOT PRODUCE HYBRID OFFSPRING.

Know what you'r talking about before you get up someone

Its not a hybrid if it has any chance of reproducing. A HYBRID IS AN INFERTILE OFFSPRING. IE IF A HORSE AND A DONKEY MATE, THEY PRODUCE NON-VIABLE OFFSPRING - A MULE.

A diamond Morelia s. spilota and a coastal Morelia spilota mcdowelli/imbricata/metcalfi/variegata will produce viable offspring,a nd therfore, using the genetic definition of a hybrid, WILL NOT PRODUCE HYBRID OFFSPRING.

Know what you'r talking about before you get up someone

ZOMG. So dumb. *le sigh* http://www.aussiepythons.com/showthread.php?t=44640

Can somebody tell me how you can tell a diamond python is 100% pure by
looking at it ??
I've always wanted to know this, as I'm a bit slow & thick when it comes to identification ??
I know of a breeder who has " perfect looking Diamonds " - won club comps to prove a piont, then let everybody know that one off the parents was a intergrade 1 generation ago !!!
He's no longer a member of that club or this site.

Chances are that that determination would only be a guess anyway mungus, as its pretty much imporrible to tell the genetic origins of ht eindividual. Besides, what they're classifying is the colouration, which may present for want of a better description as "PURE" when in fact the individual animal may have actually bee naturally crosbred somewhere in its ancestory.

Its a very questionable decision.

nice looking diamonds blue python/mitchdiamond.
yours are just as good mungus.
heres a pic of 1 off mine.
diamond-fm1

if it works lol

no, it will still be a hybrid, the deffinition of a hybrid is: The offspring of genetically dissimilar parents or stock, especially the offspring produced by breeding plants or animals of different varieties, species, or races

If you bred that Hybrid with a pure Diamond you would only be breeding Hybrids, nothing pure will come from breeding that snake.

Also why are you calling it a diamond when infact it is a hybrid? a bit misleading IMO

I think he referred to it as an intergrade, which is a little different to a hybrid, as they occur naturally in the wild.

I think he referred to it as an intergrade, which is a little different to a hybrid, as they occur naturally in the wild.

The snake is 75% diamond with some coastal. It's not an integrade.

Chances are that that determination would only be a guess anyway mungus, as its pretty much imporrible to tell the genetic origins of ht eindividual. Besides, what they're classifying is the colouration, which may present for want of a better description as "PURE" when in fact the individual animal may have actually bee naturally crosbred somewhere in its ancestory.

Its a very questionable decision.

So, basically were breeding on looks & their genetic make-up is thrown out the window.
So if they look like a Diamond - its a Diamond.
How many of you can be 100% SURE your Diamond is infact genetically " pure" ???
Listen, Diamonds, Intergrades Love them the same.
They both are Australian Natives
Give them the respect they deserve & get over it !!!!!

So, basically were breeding on looks & their genetic make-up is thrown out the window.
So if they look like a Diamond - its a Diamond.
How many of you can be 100% SURE your Diamond is infact genetically " pure" ???
Listen, Diamonds, Intergrades Love them the same.
They both are Australian Natives
Give them the respect they deserve & get over it !!!!!

hear hear

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back