Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ahh! I love this thread, I keep coming back to it just to see all the beautiful womas out there. I'm hoping to bring home a hatchie this season, are many people breeding the gorgeous critters this year? I've been bitten by the woma-bug hard, can't resist those goofy little eyebrows any longer dammit!

x

Such a pretty python :)

qedusaqy.jpg

If only he'd chill out and stop rubbing his nose on the mesh... Can't finish his new tank quick enough!

mejypu7y.jpg

I think you might be right on OCD front . He has also turned super aggressive since being moved from a tub to a cage .

There is only one thing I hate about womas - that is once they have got their teeth into you, they absolutely will NOT let go, and they will put continuous pressure onto the bite area, since they are constrictors, and it will sting if they keep sinking their teeth into the nerves in your skin. They will hold on very tight unless you get a cotton q-tip and dip it into some strong alcohol and rub it into their noses - it might work and I've done that 3 times and 2 times out of 3 it didn't even work. Their feeding response is utterly hardcore, no two ways about it.

But everything else about them I absolutely love. Their colours, patterns and their thick and textured scales, their temperaments (when not hungry, that is - see above), and their relatively small size compared to their huge black-headed counterparts and being easy to care for. I am told by a reputable breeder that a serious bite from a BHP can in fact break your fingers or at least badly injure them. Thankfully a bite from even a large woma (unless it's a SA woma) won't do any real harm. But they do sting like crazy.

There is only one thing I hate about womas - that is once they have got their teeth into you, they absolutely will NOT let go, and they will put continuous pressure onto the bite area, since they are constrictors, and it will sting if they keep sinking their teeth into the nerves in your skin. They will hold on very tight unless you get a cotton q-tip and dip it into some strong alcohol and rub it into their noses - it might work and I've done that 3 times and 2 times out of 3 it didn't even work. Their feeding response is utterly hardcore, no two ways about it.

But everything else about them I absolutely love. Their colours, patterns and their thick and textured scales, their temperaments (when not hungry, that is - see above), and their relatively small size compared to their huge black-headed counterparts and being easy to care for. I am told by a reputable breeder that a serious bite from a BHP can in fact break your fingers or at least badly injure them. Thankfully a bite from even a large woma (unless it's a SA woma) won't do any real harm. But they do sting like crazy.
I have an alternative alcohol method, I will sit down and get the bottle of alcohol and start tipping into the mouth. I usually get through about half the bottle before my woma lets go and I also like to mix the scotch with coke unless it is Johnnie Walker Blue or similar.

Hahaha Andy. Luckily I haven't had my adult woma latch on with this teeth yet although he doesn't mind a bit of a squeeze now and then.

A few months ago now I did have my juvenile woma latch on and wouldn't let go. I was about 15mins before I had to go to work and I decided to change his water as he had pushed a fair bit of substrate into it. Anyway he was out basking so I pick him up and he latched on.

It didn't hurt so I grabbed his water bowl and walked over to the sink. I ran water over him for 5 or so minutes. That didn't work so I grabbed some F10 that didn't work so I grabbed the listerene. He didn't like that at all and let go, put his jaw back into place and then grabbed on again. I ended up having to wait it out. I think I made up a lie as to why I was late for work. :D Moral of the story don't put your hand near them before you have to leave the house. Hahaha.

Better photo of the pinstripe RHD, he shed last week. :D

y9xk.jpg

lucky for you I don't know where you live. I'd come and take her off your hands. lol.
She is absolutely GORGEOUS.

- - - Updated - - -

re above, I read that some use Listerine... can't be too good for the snake though ??

Here's a few pic's of a failed woma egg mid term.
Thought I would cut as im keen to see what's going on and share the pic's.
The joys of breeding - win some and you lose some...........

Attachments

• Egg failure 1.jpg
    Egg failure 1.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 86
  • Egg failure 2.jpg
    Egg failure 2.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 98
  • Egg failure 3.jpg
    Egg failure 3.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 91
  • Egg failure 4.jpg
    Egg failure 4.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 89
Thanks for sharing that Yommy.
I had one die on me quite early a few years back, opened it up and was a lot smaller but similar looking with the large eye in proportion to the rest. Have photos somewhere but beats me where they are.
Interesting stuff none the less

Aaron

Has anyone got some recent pictures of some RHD wombs besides the insane one of Vixen.

Gee that one looks familiar yommy.
Got a nice boodarie here with 3 stripes going down its back, tri stripe if you want to call it that. Will have to take some pics of it one of these days.

Gee that one looks familiar yommy.
Got a nice boodarie here with 3 stripes going down its back, tri stripe if you want to call it that. Will have to take some pics of it one of these days.

Yeah Rob, she's turned into a real nice woma minus the attitude...lol
Still amazed at the small size of her to the F1 captive breds. Would love to see some updated pics of the tri-stripe.
Such a great locality the Boodaries :)

Has anyone got some recent pictures of some RHD wombs besides the insane one of Vixen.

No womb shots :) but heres some nice RHD woma's for ya :)

Attachments

• 1002832_10151706955168934_1455050948_n.jpg
    1002832_10151706955168934_1455050948_n.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 64
  • 998339_10151706955123934_1596284023_n.jpg
    998339_10151706955123934_1596284023_n.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 63
  • 1174796_10151821784528934_977419205_n.jpg
    1174796_10151821784528934_977419205_n.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 64
  • 946244_10151706954933934_184714146_n.jpg
    946244_10151706954933934_184714146_n.jpg