Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Greebo

Snakologist
Reaction score
As part of our herp clubs' (Riverina Frog and Reptile Society) ongoing efforts to increase public awareness, we are holding a show this weekend.
The show will be held at the Wagga Marketplace on Saturday and Sunday.
We held a similar show about six months ago and had a great response and a lot of media coverage.
If anyone is passing through Wagga Wagga on the long weekend, drop in and say hello.
We are also holding a show in Leeton on Easter Saturday as part of the Rice Festival.
Just trying to do our bit.

On the same subject, the SA herp group will be having a stand at the pet expo in Adeliade in March and maybe a stand in the royal show in September. Looks like I'll be there with my carefully protected water pythons.
I post more details closer to the event.

There will be a short reptile show on Australia day as part of celebrations by baulkham hills council at crn of showground and carrington rd's castle hill at 525 pm sponsered by Kellyville pets. [mon] :D

Greebo r u down NSW, It sounds great what you r doing, up here QLD we need a demonstraters lic. cost about $600 a years, so I can only do slide shows

We get a "competitive show" permit of NPWS. It is a lot less than 600 bucks and I think the venue is paying for it.We can only display the animals in cages and are not supposed to take them out. (public liability etc.)
No one in the club really considers it a competition. The public vote for the best snake and the owner gets free membership.
Maybe you could do something similar in QLD.
We usually get a few new members from every show which is great for our club obviously and we increase public awareness. So it's all good.

Today went great. We had a few thousand people check out the display and hopefully nearly as many tomorrow.
I got to listen to all those lovely snake anecdotes that every one seems to have.
I had one intersting conversation that went like this.....

"Do you have any trouser snakes?" Asked cheeky teenager.
"We do," I answered," but we don't have a permit to show them publically."
"I have one at home.He's this big!" Said cheeky boy holding his hands out about 2 feet apart.
"Ah, that sounds like a juvenile one." I replied. "But don't worry,he will grow nicely if you don't play with him too much."
Cheeky boys mates cracked up laughing at this which did not sit well with cheeky boy.
He called me a bad name and stalked off.
"Thank you, Come again!" I called after him.

I wonder what tomorrow will bring....

i like that idea greebo about how to get a queensland thing happening if any one wants 2 ill help !!!!

Greebo said:
PS. If I have to smile and nod politely at any more peoples opinion of Steve Irwin, I may just go POSTAL!

I know the feeling.
Imagine this though.
intro to basic reptiles for wildlife cares and you look at the group and there is a clown in the front row wearing kahki shorts, shirt and boots and its not Steve,

good to hear you had a good turn out thats great , our herp society is having a reptile show in march in fairy meadow nsw on the sth coast for the sth coast herp society, the date isnt actually set as yet but i will let you all know when i find out , if anyone is in the area they should check it out should be a good day... i hope we get as many people check it out as greebs did ...

Today was good but not quite the turn out we had yesterday.
Not one conversation about Steve Irwin, which I am pretty chuffed about.
We had nearly 800 people vote for which reptile was their favourite.
The winner was an Eastern Long-neck Turtle (about 6cm across)
and second was a 5ft Blackheaded Python.
We also had guessing comps where ppl had to guess the number of snakes(lollies) in a jar. The winner won the jar of snakes.
We had a donation tin on the desk with the voting that raised a surprising amount of money for the club.
If you are in a club you should seriously think about doing something similar. We have actually had to decline a couple invitations to show our snakes at events, they are just that popular.

sorry to hear you didnt have a turn out like the day before but it sounds like you guys had alot of fun displaying your herps and raised some funds for the society, i bet your day was better for not listening to people talk about steve lol... the community would have appreciated it by seeing reptiles they wouldnt normally see and your next herp meeting is going to be flooded with people wanting to join... new added interest

I bet that you had fun there. I wish that your club would be closer to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back