Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Brilliant colour on those jungles Shaun & Col

onimocnhoj

Thats just a standard colour phase in jungles , not a genetic hyper .
Jungles can be commonly found in the wild with that amount of increased melanin.
In fact thats what a true rainforest jungle looks like.

cheers Roger

I agree with Roger.. and was told a similar thing by tremain that in years gone by these "black" or blacker looking jungles were seen more often when you looked in the right places for them.. and they were a wild rainforest type..

the increased melanin to me just seems like too much smudging and probably not something that I think is really a desirable trait as smudging doesn't look good in my opinion. I prefer clean yellow and black jungles and clean white and black jungles... each to their own I guess.

but I can understand other people liking the idea of a black jungle. maybe like this one :D
first pic is pre shed, pics 2 & 3 are post shed and the last pic is the same snake at 2 years old.

Thats just a standard colour phase in jungles , not a genetic hyper .
Jungles can be commonly found in the wild with that amount of increased melanin.
In fact thats what a true rainforest jungle looks like.

cheers Roger

Quote onimocnhoj
Hey mate,

I didn't really try to imply that this thing was a genetic hyper as mentioned. I have seen plenty of wild jungles and the darker ones I have seen have never been too young. I believe the amount of sun jungles are exposed to (wild & captive) can assists in their increased melanin like a suntan.

The parents are fairly bright animals and their progeny are yet to bask outdoors and are dark by a year. Line breeding can produce all sorts of interesting stuff and if one can breed for bright colours, then surely one can breed for dark colours. Two separate clutches from the same pairing has produced these darker specimens, it's coincidental enough for me to give it a go. I am patient enough to see what happens with future breedings.

Some more yearlings from the same parents..[/QUOTE]

I usually give away any young jungles that start smudge out in the colour badly for their age.
its not a trait i would ever want to base a project on, But each to there own.

Roger

Come on now Roger play nice :p
A friend of mine is doing the same thing with a pair of Darwins he has - calls them 'Darkwins'.

That's a cool animal Colin, who bred it?

First B&W Julatten clutch for 2011 friday 09-09-2011

First B&W julatten clutch (first two pics) for the season last friday :D and a couple more julattens about to drop and some more still to come.. then the black and yellows will be laying..

Cheers Roger, I am told that this one was produced by Dave Evans on here.
She's holding her colour quite well and hopefully will go into a project next season.

Colin and Roger,

If one could produce consistently black carpets, it would certainly be interesting to see. People got extremely excited when the black darwin popped up. This is in no way a sales pitch as I don't have any for sale nor is it an attempt to build up hype about hyper jungles. No-one has to buy them, keep them or even like them. I was purely sharing some pictures of some unusual individuals. I'm only wasting my own time with such a project.

I have kept, bred and raised many jungles in the past and these interest me for the simple fact that I enjoy keeping and breeding jungles. That dark specimen you have Colin is something that I like and I have seen some in captivity even darker. Beautiful jet black snakes with only head markings, I certainly thought they were eye catching. The possibility is somewhere there to make those things consistent. Patience is a virtue..

I am quite familiar with Tremain and would accompany his words with a grain of salt.

John ,
I can appreciate your interest in jungles that get blacked out with melanin.
But i would not call them unusual ? thats all.

The melanistic Darwin is a totally different .
That hyper darwin would be considered rare individual and more than likely a colour mutation .

But a so called hyper jungle like the ones you posted would be considered common in the wild .
Their darker colouration being a trait chosen by natural selection for survival in rainforests .

I dont see the analogy there at all.

cheers
Roger

Roger,

I think our wires are crossing. I am not claiming to have cracked the code to hyper jungles nor saying I even have them. I have dark jungles. I also have an interest in black type jungles (like the one Colin posted) and would like to see if I could produce captive black carpets with the stock I have some day. Maybe generations away.

Ones that look like Colin's are not everywhere captive or wild and it would usually be a very old animal to be that dark in the wild. Whatever you want to call these things - colour mutation, colour phase or any other way to describe them, they are simply interesting to some people.

I'm not trying to educate you, whereas you're adamant on educating me.

Whether you consider a black jungle common in the wild or not isn't my point. The one Colin posted looks much darker than many wild ones I have seen and I haven't seen a great deal of them that black in collections. Black and golds are bred by numerous people these days and if black ones where excessively common, we would surely see more of them.

I guess any dark/increased melanin carpets I may have at home are choosing this dark colour for survival in plastic containers with newspaper ;) Must be the ink..

Tongue in cheek mate, I'll give it a rest now.
On with the show..

Boy your curtainly excited about your new morphs
The hyper jungles.lol

But in all seriousness John we all work on projects for colours and patterns for our own reasons.
Each to there own ...

cheers
Roger

I'm glad you've chilled out about telling what you don't like in jungles lol.

Some stripeys..

First B&W julatten clutch (first two pics) for the season last friday :D and a couple more julattens about to drop and some more still to come.. then the black and yellows will be laying..
Very nice Col.
I have always wanted some B&W Julattens, But prolly wont be for another season or 2.
How's J girl going this season?

SXR line hatchie I bred last season (9 months old) showing some colour.. keeping this one..

DSC03985.jpg

Hot damn Col, how didn't I see this post?
Is this the one you're sending me? :p

Very nice Col.
I have always wanted some B&W Julattens, But prolly wont be for another season or 2.
How's J girl going this season?

Hot damn Col, how didn't I see this post?
Is this the one you're sending me? :p

Thanks shaun.. yes first Julatten Jungle clutch of the season last friday 09-09-2011 and there's more to come. J-Girl is about to have prelay so is on the way as well as a few more julatten females.

yeah that black and yellow is colouring up ok for 9 months old.. Im glad I didnt sell this one now and kept for myself.

I'm hoping for some really nice black nd yellows this season with clean yellow, no smudging and this line holds colour for quite a few years.. Rakasha & Ajiria (pics attached) having their first clutches.. I put the father of the jungle you like above, Drac as well as Apollo over both these females.

this is one i held back from my last clutch. Not the brightest from the clutch, doesnt help that the iphone washes the colours out, but i like the stripeyness and pattern on her. Pity she is really really nasty! dont think ive ever actually handled her without getting bitten but her good looks keep her housed and fed.

John - I like that middle pic in your last post - very nice!

forgot the attachment......

Shes pretty david....such a shame she is nasty....maybe she will calm down as she gets older....how old is she now ?

Fantazmic - she would be about 9 months old, she is getting to the size where she might start to calm down but i dont think this one will. She will bite me, herself, her tub, anything that moves, anything that doesnt move and just has that "everything is out to get me" attitude.....all part of the fun though! =)

Hey David,

This is how that striped one in the middle looks these days. I've posted shots before, but she's a nice snake and the nice ones deserve a second look ;)

Inddor pic. I will take an outside picture tomorrow lol. (stupid point and shoot indoor flash)
Jinjajoe gave me this one (and a full striped male).

312899_2183522862529_1080709962_2469524_1453409150_n.jpg

John you have some stunning jungles!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back