Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Will you be crossing your subspecies??

• Yes, I look forward to creating something unique and interesting.

Votes: 110 17.1%
  • I would consider it if I thought there was a market for them.

Votes: 38 5.9%
  • I would consider it if they looked really good.

Votes: 96 14.9%
  • No, I would never ever do it, keep things pure IMO.

Votes: 290 45.0%
  • I would keep one as a pet, but would never breed it.

Votes: 110 17.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
um years ago a very well respcted bird breeder crossed a olive scally breasted lorrikett [wild caught] with a rainbow lorrikeet 2 esablish the olive rainbow and thay wereworth money top bird breeders do this and thay dont tell any 1 till its esablished um i wonder how long its goin to b till snake breeders do the same

this is what you get when you cross a bredli with a jungle then cross it back to a diamond crossed darwin :rolleyes:

Attachments

• X - breed.jpg
    X - breed.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 62
I guess it really just comes down to what your goals are for breeding:
-preserving pure locality genetics in captive animals?
-breeding interesting/different looking snakes for pets?
-making money?
-something else?

There can be just as much damage done to a species by inbreeding and reducing genetic diversity as there can be interbreeding between subspecies and localities.

My Stimmie is from the sandfire region and although I'd love to breed from him, I will be waiting until I can find a girl from a similar region - both to keep his nice colours in his offspring, and also to preserve the genetics of the snakes that had to be taken from the wild so I could have him.

I guess we all have our own opinions on this issue which is fine - perhaps the people who are passionate about keeping pure lines should form an organisation and keep registered pedigrees for their snakes - if they're serious about conservation of genetics and species for insurance for wild populations, this would be the way to do it. Unfortunately, trusting every person who breeds snakes just doesn't seem to be an option in today's world!

Check out the diamond x jungle i once owned, the photo is in my gallery, a friend bred hybrids over 3 generations now he has a banded form with the same colours

Check out the diamond x jungle i once owned, the photo is in my gallery, a friend bred hybrids over 3 generations now he has a banded form with the same colours

WOW you must be so proud:rolleyes:

Whats wrong with hybrids, if its a beautiful snake or reptile that isnt deformed or disabled then everyone is a winner! Its said that we have pure beautiful snakes, and we do indeed, so what wrong with cross breading and having more. To me its the same as people wanting exotics.
This isnt a personal attack on you Ramsayi and you are entitled to your opinion but not to deal with anyone because of breeding hybrids is imo a bit to far. You should be able to respect others decisions and views.
I hope none of you anti-hybrid's keep cats or dogs that arnt either wolfs or dingoes or tigers and leapords :)

Lots of opinion both ways - but how does a newbie (like me) make and informed choice, and know what they are buying?

Lots of opinion both ways - but how does a newbie (like me) make and informed choice, and know what they are buying?
hybrids.. could have or end up with health problems from cross breeding sub-species from differant localities that have different temperature and humidities. so at what temperature and humidity do you keep this hybrid snake? bit of a lucky dip isnt it. at least with a pure species you know the locality that it comes from and you can keep it at the temperature and humidity that it would live in if it was wild.
buy from someone that comes with recommendation from users of this site. the site has lots of trusted breeders that only breed healthy pure species.

Simply buy off a trust worthy seller who has the decency to keep thing pure;)

Good in theory - but that relies on believing what is said without knowing the obvious tells that comes with experience.

Happy to see a list of 'trust-worthy' sellers 8)

What is that theory based on Wranga? What you have heard or is it a proven scientific fact?
my theory is based on common sence and the well being of the snake.
so you would say its ok to cross a darwin python with a murray darling python, how about a darwin with a diamond? what temperature and humidity would you keep the hybirds from these pairing? thanks in advance for your reply

im years from breeding yet, but what happens if you breed a black and gold jungle with a black and white julatten jungle.
do you get half black and gold, half black and white, or is it random?
cheers.

You offer them a thermal gradient like you do with any reptile, or do you keep your animals in a constant temperature zone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back