Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Will you be crossing your subspecies??

• Yes, I look forward to creating something unique and interesting.

Votes: 110 17.1%
  • I would consider it if I thought there was a market for them.

Votes: 38 5.9%
  • I would consider it if they looked really good.

Votes: 96 14.9%
  • No, I would never ever do it, keep things pure IMO.

Votes: 290 45.0%
  • I would keep one as a pet, but would never breed it.

Votes: 110 17.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think breed pure lines and be proud of what you produce, or mix 'sensibly and carefully' and be proud of what you produce, but NEVER say a snake is what it is not (especially) for the sake of a sale, and don't sit on the fence and say what ever the majority are voicing as opinion.
Honesty is always best, say what you mean and mean what you say or don't go there in the first place.
I agree wholeheartedly!!! Full disclosure is paramount, and careful planning is crucial when seeking the best traits of any given species or cross.

just wondering how many ugly un-wanted snakes you or others produce from your cross pairings before you are able to produce that good looking snake that is wanted? and what happens with all the un-wanted snakes? are they just given away or sold off cheap so their not your problem?
While I can't speak for others, I can say for myself that I don't think I produce any more "ugly, unwanted" snakes from my carefully planned crosses than others produce from their not so carefully planned "pure" pairings. I have yet to have any problems selling the normals. Last year, I offered them free with Jag purchases, but I sold more in cash transactions than I gave with Jags.

Again, I want to repeat that I choose carefully as to what I will pair up and what I won't. Especially where the US reptile "market" currently is, if I don't think a particular pairing is going to produce animals people will want, those animals just hang out looking good and eating. There are enough folks out there pairing up dozens of animals every year (pure and cross), that I don't feel the need to be among them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back