Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Slateman

I will try to run trivia in forum now. every evening after 7 pm i will put question to our members in this forum. First correct answer will get the point. I know that people will be lucky to get the question first but it is just fun and please do not take this to seriously.

First question

What is the reason for Chondropython viridis to be lime green as adult and vivid yellow as juvenile.

The reason for the colour change is not known. :wink:

Cheers P..

The reason for their juvenile color is not known. As there are no venomous snakes in their range with similar colors, it is not likely that the colors are used for protective mimicry.

Two possibilities, one is camouflage, the baby snakes properly live in a different micro ecology than the larger snakes, I think GTP are associated with stands of bamboo, the juveniles may live or feed near the tips of the plant. The other possibility is a ?don?t hurt me, I?m a baby? message to larger snakes. You could test the second hypothesis by keeping a yellow with a green, if the green eats the yellow then it is wrong. Any takers?

god ran out of pattern ideas and thought, "why not"! :D

I have read a bit on this topic and found a whole load of ideas,Here is just a couple I found amusing...

1 The colours mimic bananas hanging in trees!
Do bananas even grow in the area???
2 The colours are to ware off preditors!
What predators are there???
3 The colours are to identify the age of the snake!
Why would the snakes need colour to identify each others age???

There is plenty more suggestions floating around on this topic...
IMO the efforts made at identifying why the colour change occurs by researchers/herpers is a bit of a joke.I find some of these guesses to be the very height of good humour.The suggestions/opinions made by some of these people vary from ludicrous to just plain stupid.The fact is nobody knows exactly why they are the colour they are or even why they change colours with age,I don't even know if there will ever be an answer to why.

The mystery surrounding these beautiful creatures is the reason it has become the Australian icon for herpetology...

A snake that side-winds means it slithers sideways .

There is 4 species of snakes called a "sidewinder" They are the horned rattlesnake,the Mojave sidewinder,the Colorado desert sidewinder,and the Sonaron sidewinder.They have keeled scales to help them slither sideways along the desert sand,It is said that by "sidewinding" in a S curled position there is a less amount of the snakes underside touching the hot sand at any given time so they are not burnt by the etremely hot surface...

i believe at one time the sidewinders are only having 2-3 areas(points of body) touching the ground.....

sidewinding is when a snake that lives in a sandy environment moves sideways accross the sand. It requires less effort and as there are less parts of the body touching the hot sand they are less likely to burn themselves

Side winding occurs when some one is fitted with a colostomy bag.The large intestine exits out the side of the abdomen. When there is a build up of gas then it is expelled out the new opening as 'side wind'. Hence the term "side winding".
I don't want to explain what the term "getting a bit on the side " means as this is a family site.

Right ansfer magpie but to simple for me LOL.
Wery good try from Grebs i have to say. Build up of gas teory.
Point for this one is going to Reptile rascal.

Third question

Which Australian specie resembles vipers and why?

i am having a guess at the deaf adder and why, because of the relevent flatness (appearance) that resembles the vipers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back