Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
According to the cogger distubution map,
WA isolated population in southwest WA, very top portion .
SA from about the streaky bay on the coast spreading west to cover the entire SA/NSW border its contuniation along the SA/QLD border.
VIC Along the murray from the SA border to about albury and the far east tip.
NSW all of the state except the alpine areas
Tasmania - nope
QLD - Almost all except the arid south west
NT - top third
PNG - havn't got an idea except its there.
No one got the entire range so if there are no objections by the morning I'll give a point each to

Brodie : who got most but forgot WA
Pinkie : who got southern WA
but what about wattsos answer? He is hinting northern NT by his answer "the Darwin carpet! (varigata)"

Meanwhile we will continue
Q How many species of tiger snakes are there?

*mainland tiger ~ notechis scutatas scutatas
*peninsula tiger ~ " ater niger
*chappel island tiger ~ " ater serventyi
* western tiger ~ " ater occidentalis
* king island/tazzy tiger ~ "ater humphreysi
* kreffts tiger ~ "ater ater
*trouser tiger ~ biggus thingus :D

For the carpet python distrubtion question I've awarded 1 point each to brodie and pinkie and 1/2 to wattso

so the current points are

Alexander 3
Wattso 7 1/2
saikrett 1
Pinkie 3
Switch 2
Reptile Rascals 1
Brodie 3
SnakeHunter 1
Morelia man 1
ackie 2
Slateman 1
Everyone else 0

Now to the tiger snake question, no one has even got close so far and I think that people are a bit confused on how species are named so I'll give a breif tutorial. Most of this is based on the Zoological Names section in Coggers book "Reptiles and Amphibians of Australia". If you are into Australian reptles you should own this book.

The Simplistic defination of species is a group of animals that are free to interbreed and produce viable, fertile offspring. It is a defination that you can easly poke holes in. Anyhow a guy comes in, does a bit of study and says "This is species A, this is species B" *. So each species gets a zooological or scientific name. The format of this name is subject to rigid rules set by the International Code of Zoological Nomenclature. The name consists of two, AND ONLY TWO, parts. The first part is the name of the genus the first letter is always captialized, and the second or specific name which is never captialized. Both names should be italicised. So an example of a few valid scientific names are
Egernia major
Dendrelaphis punctulata
Morelia spilota
Liasis fuscus

Now the species can be also divided into sub species - usually geographically distinct populations which are sufficiently differentiated in some features such as colour, patten of behaviour(???) to warrant distinguishing them from other populations or sub-species. Sub-species are regarded as incipent species, that is, they may develop into a seperate species or be reabsorbed into a more or less homogeneous species.
The name of a sub-species may be added to the genus/species combination to form a trinomen or trinomial. That is geek talk for "stick a third word onto the end of the name". So if you see a name like Morelia spilota variegata you know it is the variegata sub-species or form of the species Morelia spilota.

So now that I have armed you guys with this knowleadge i'll repeat the question

Q How many species of tiger snakes are there? **

* Don't be fooled by the flippent tone, nomenclature is a difficult and thankless task, and one of the foundations of biological science.

** Brain hurts, need beer.

one species then ! notechis..................[/i]yourbrain hurts?, HUH! :D

Time to buy some new books me thinks! they gave me the wrong answer

Zoological Names section in Coggers book "Reptiles and Amphibians of Australia". If you are into Australian reptles you should own this book.

If I could find it I WOULD own it :) I'll give ya ten bucks for yours Fuscus :)

to africancichlidau - thanks for the offer but NOWAY :)
Thank you slateman - there are only 2 species of tiger snakes (I can feel an arguement coming on, if you disagree please provide supporting data or urls)
Notechis ater the black or island tiger snake and
Notechis scutatus the eastern or mainland tiger snake.
Note that the island tiger snake is also found on the mainland and the mainland tiger can also be found on islands. KI has both species.
Now Notechis ater has HEAPS of sub species such as
Notechis ater ater
Notechis ater niger
Notechis ater humphreysi
hence the confusion.
All should be clear if you read my previous rave on nomenclature. I can understand if you passed.

Additional info can be found here
http://www.avru.unimelb.edu.au/avruweb/Tiger.htm

Alexander 3
Wattso 7 1/2
saikrett 1
Pinkie 3
Switch 2
Reptile Rascals 1
Brodie 3
SnakeHunter 1
Morelia man 1
ackie 2
Slateman 2
Everyone else 0

Q One for the south aussies. What is the scentific name for the common skink the South Australians call the sleepy lizard?

shingleback/stumpytail Tiliqua rugosa

The sleepy Lizard is also called the shingleback or stumpytail. My photos of the animals are here

http://150.101.58.70/thumbnails.php?id=Skink_ShingleBack&num=02

This will teach me not to be overconfident (actually it won't). Coggers book calls the lizard Trachydosaurus Rugosus not Trachydosaurus Rugosa as stated by African. I was going to award him the point but decided to wait to see if anyone got the spelling right. In the mean time I did some googling and found the following ;

The animal was originally called Trachydosaurus Rugosus by Gray in 1825
In the late 1960s it may have been temporarly renamed Tiliqua rugosa
At some time in the 1970s it was renamed Trachydosaurus Rugosa but some papers in the 1980s still refer to it as Trachydosaurus Rugosus
In the early 1990s it was again renamed to Tiliqua rugosa. This seems to be its accepted name from about 1995. Except the cogger 2000 edition calls it Trachydosaurus Rugosus (AGGGHH)! The book was origanally published in 1975 and last revised in 1986 (but a revised appendix in 1996) so I assume that the name is an artifact from the original print.

from all this we can conclude a number of things
1/ the current name is Tiliqua rugosa
2/ Wattso got the point
3/ It is not a good week for me to try and stop sniffing glue!
4/ It is unlikly that I will ever ask a question about scientific names again.

Alexander 3
Wattso 8 1/2
saikrett 1
Pinkie 3
Switch 2
Reptile Rascals 1
Brodie 3
SnakeHunter 1
Morelia man 1
ackie 2
Slateman 2
Everyone else 0

WARNING Trick question - research your answer.
Q some snake species vemon is incompletley discribed as coagulant. This means that it affects the blood. How does it affect the blood?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back