Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Venoms described as coagulant can be either coagulant, i.e clots blood or hemmorhagic i.e thins blood with anti coagulant enzyms.

most have more hemmorhagic properties/enzyms which prevent platlets from sticking together, keeping the victimes blood thin in order to spread venom more effectivly.

Wattso is on the ball again and nearing the finish line. Come on every one, don't let him win.

Coagulant venom can be either pro-coagulant where the blood thickens so that it becomes difficult or impossible to pump around the body or anti-coagulant where the blood is thinned and unable to proform its function

Alexander 3
Wattso 9 1/2
saikrett 1
Pinkie 3
Switch 2
Reptile Rascals 1
Brodie 3
SnakeHunter 1
Morelia man 1
ackie 2
Slateman 2
Everyone else 0

Q The inland taipan is th most venomous snake in the world when measured using the LD50 method. What is the LD50 method?

The LD50 (Lethal Dose, 50%) value is typically expressed in mg of material per kg of subject-body-weight
The Lethal Dose 50 (LD50) test involves the administration of a substance to a group of animals at increasing doses in order to determine the dose that kills 50 percent of the test subjects within a set time frame

It is not to acurate way of testing tox. but in case of taipan , who cares. this snake is way to deadly if that test is acurate or not. :p .

I have just editing my answer and afro you sneeked infront . HA HA, By the way they use mice , or rats or other tested animals. Weight is the important factor.
LD50 do not have to be mice test only.

LD50 test's, GRRRRRRRR! :evil: LD50 test is tried and true method of researchers to aquire gov grants whilst wasting taxpayers money! .......just my opinion :)

"dont let wattso win"...........? :p eat my dust trailblazers!

The second part of slatemans answer is what I was looking for. The test animal normally used is mice. Since the inland Taipans prey is mainly mice and rats it is not surprising that it scores well. I remember seeing a doco which showed the inland hunting. It move though the burrows until it finds the nesting chamber. If it is lucky there are a number of rodents trapped there. It then will strike at any thing that moves, which is normally a panicing rodent. Putting these animals down quickly is important as they can serverly hurt the snake. The snake will then consume as many bodies as it can find.

Of course, the LD50 method does not tell the whole story regarding snakes and humans. First off is the fact "Mice are not little people". Other factors include the amount of venom, the delivery appartus and the personality of the snake.

Alexander 3
Wattso 9 1/2
saikrett 1
Pinkie 3
Switch 2
Reptile Rascals 1
Brodie 3
SnakeHunter 1
Morelia man 1
ackie 2
Slateman 3
Everyone else 0

Q While we are on the subject of snake bite, which snake kills the most people per year? NOTE : It is not an Australian species.

sri lanken russel's viper ~ russelli russelli attributed the highest annual; death rate per capita. Dont move to sri lanka! :D

:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)
We have a winner
wattso

:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Well done and thanks to all who particpated or just watched from the sidelines.

The russell's viper is wide spread from Pakistan to East Timor. I think it is also found in east Afica. It likes to live near humans but is a ready biter. Combine that with the fact that light footware is normal in those areas and medical help is often distant then its killing power is increased. Most people recover however, about 9% of bites prove fatal.

Now how did I do?
Was I great :D
Was I ordinary :?
or was I lousy :(

And I didn't get one comment on "Fuscus's Ultimate Creature Kontest" :twisted: I am surprised every one missed that one !

You did fuscus, good Questions that needed thought, diplomacy and lots of intresting facts along the way.
long live Fuscus, king of trivia! :D p.s. my wife pointed it out but thought it was a funny thing not done on purpous! lol

hahahhahahahahaha - thats funny shyte....Yea Trivia was kool fuscus..and you explained each of the answers which was good........congrats wattso Buddy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back