Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Alexahnder scores the point. I have even seem them for sale on other websites 2 for $5 and get a third one free!!!

Alexander 2
Wattso 7
saikrett 1
Pinkie 2
Switch 2
Reptile Rascals 1
Brodie 2
SnakeHunter 1
Morelia man 1
ackie 2
Slateman 1
Everyone else 0

Q What is the current preferred habitat of the costal Taipan Oxyuranus scutellatus?

abandoned animal burrows, especially burrow systems under roots and fallen timber; in hollow logs and rotted out fallen trunks' and in deep leaf litter (especially piles at the base of large trees).

Dry sclerophyll forest and woodland, sometimes sugarcane fields.
Favours dense thickets and grassy slopes

Alexander scores again. You will find the greatest concentration of taipan in cane fields, lots of cover, lots of cane rats and very little human activity. And now cane burning is becoming less common it is only good news for the snake. And if you want to see wild costal taipans, good luck. I haven't succeded yet. Here is a link to a Taipan photo I took at cricky zoo about four years ago
http://150.101.58.70/thumbnails.php?id=Snake_Taipan Nice snake but possibly a bit overfed.
And while we are on the subject a Member of the SA herp group just lot a taipan he had for 22 years.

Alexander 3
Wattso 7
saikrett 1
Pinkie 2
Switch 2
Reptile Rascals 1
Brodie 2
SnakeHunter 1
Morelia man 1
ackie 2
Slateman 1
Everyone else 0

Q what is the distribution of that much loved snake, the carpet python Morelia spilota?

St francis island in sa, thru the lower catchment regions of the Murry Darling basin in northern VIC and southern NSW to the east coast of northern NSW QLD, western NT and PNG

Bredl's not counted as a carpet is Morelia Bredl in my book!

Well south west carpets live in Sth WA, which you missed (ner ner)

Dunno bout southern NT, but my book says so lol

hey dont give me that ner crap :p anyway couldnt have piked a nicer person to prove me wrong :p

naa watsso thats nth western NT which I put in

St francis island in sa, thru the lower catchment regions of the Murry Darling basin in northern VIC and southern NSW to the east coast of northern NSW QLD, western NT and PNG

Plus south WA!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back