Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Will you be crossing your subspecies??

• Yes, I look forward to creating something unique and interesting.

Votes: 110 17.1%
  • I would consider it if I thought there was a market for them.

Votes: 38 5.9%
  • I would consider it if they looked really good.

Votes: 96 14.9%
  • No, I would never ever do it, keep things pure IMO.

Votes: 290 45.0%
  • I would keep one as a pet, but would never breed it.

Votes: 110 17.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Because I don't know much about breeding reptiles, is it possible to cross species (eg. Aspidites and Morelia)?

I would rather keep it all pure, however as someone said its inevitable that down the line that it'll eventually happen... lets hope not however!

Because I don't know much about breeding reptiles, is it possible to cross species (eg. Aspidites and Morelia)?

I would rather keep it all pure, however as someone said its inevitable that down the line that it'll eventually happen... lets hope not however!

yer its possible, here is a pic of what i think is a very interesting animal, its a woma x carpet = coma python

Attachments

• coma2.jpg
    coma2.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 145
  • coma1.jpg
    coma1.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 103
  • coma.jpg
    coma.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 132

The correct word is genus, a scientific name is written like this.
Morelia spilota cheynei
Genus species sub-species

As shown above they are possible.

I don't know if it's been asked already in the thread, because I wasn't bothered to read 14 pages, but is there a group (obviously a minority) of people overseas that have the same attitude to hybrids has Australian's do?

Jason: That's a beautiful snake.

lozza_rae: Thank you. Very well said.

I don't know if it's been asked already in the thread, because I wasn't bothered to read 14 pages, but is there a group (obviously a minority) of people overseas that have the same attitude to hybrids has Australian's do?

i think its safe to assume that is the case. As afr as im aware there are groups that are very much into hybridising animals and then there are those that are apose to it. i do believe that we are the same here though i just think people are alittle bit quiter about being for hybrids cause they usually get shot down.
i think you would find that if people would stop attacking people for hybridising the confusion as to whats some animals are may clera up abit because people would begin to start selling animals as 50 % carpet 50 % jungle for instance. while some may not agree with hybrids atleast people wouldnt fear the abuse.
i think it will become more excepted with honesty. time will tell??

Jason said:
people are alittle bit quiter about being for hybrids cause they usually get shot down.

That's a nice way of putting it.

Jason said:
i think you would find that if people would stop attacking people for hybridising the confusion as to whats some animals are may clera up abit because people would begin to start selling animals as 50 % carpet 50 % jungle for instance. while some may not agree with hybrids atleast people wouldnt fear the abuse.

I completely agree here. People should just back off. If they don't like it, ignore it. What was that saying that your mum always used to say? "If you have anything nice to say, then don't say anything at all."

I don't really understand this "but is there a group (obviously a minority) of people overseas that have the same attitude to hybrids has Australian's do?" Why obviously a minority ? From what I gather more seem to be against it than in favour, there seems to be a general misunderstanding or ignorance of keepers and breeders overseas. An example is when an Aussie bred hybrid was shown immediately people jumped in with both feet criticising the Americans.
What you need to remember is that a minority of breeders frequent internet forums and a minority of those that do would openly admit to liking a hybrid.

boa said:
I don't really understand this "but is there a group (obviously a minority) of people overseas that have the same attitude to hybrids has Australian's do?" Why obviously a minority ? From what I gather more seem to be against it than in favour, there seems to be a general misunderstanding or ignorance of keepers and breeders overseas. An example is when an Aussie bred hybrid was shown immediately people jumped in with both feet criticising the Americans.
What you need to remember is that a minority of breeders frequent internet forums and a minority of those that do would openly admit to liking a hybrid.

I assumed the majority of overseas people like hybrids due to the general hype for them, and lack of negative responses to them. My mistake.

yes i will be trying to crossbreed , it is a challenge and produces attractive snakes. and also they sell well.
so , slag me off all you like , i wont be reading the comments - pm me if you have to.
so , you albino breeders are ok then ???????????????????????????? yes you are ....... arent you.

good point, id agree i dont think its a minority, in general i think the majority are against it. you'll see a different side of people when it comes to jags though, those hybrids are stunning. a normal bredli x diamond on the other hand is imo a waste of time!

yes i will be trying to crossbreed , it is a challenge and produces attractive snakes. and also they sell well.
so , slag me off all you like , i wont be reading the comments - pm me if you have to.
so , you albino breeders are ok then ???????????????????????????? yes you are ....... arent you.

good luck with it. sell them for what they are and you would have the respect of some.
dont really understand your comment about the albinos? id assume your breeding albinos to everything??

Guess which one I picked,
Keep them pure, It is our Australian wildlife we are entrusted to keep on license.
If you can't respect that - then maybe you should just get a cat, dog, rabbit etc.
We don't have to follow the yanks - we have the animals they all want - learn by the mistakes over there,
improve on it here - we are 20 years behind them on hybridizing but 20 years in front of them for Pure animals.
If they ever allow legal exporting of our reptiles - guess which ones the yanks will want??

great answer Ad :D my sentiments exactly..

We don't have to follow the yanks - we have the animals they all want.
If they ever allow legal exporting of our reptiles - guess which ones the yanks will want??
this is so damn true.. they would give a stack of there hybrid jag whatevers [and their left ***] for some locality pure animals in a heartbeat..

Just reading some of ad's replys and i have to agree about the keeping a hybrid but not breeding it. I recently gave away 2 childrens i wasn't 100% sure one. They were given to a friend and a family member as they're just after a "pet" I couldn't justify keeping a hybrid when it could be a pure locality spacific animal.

The problem with Antaresia in particular is very few people know the exact status of their animals, unless of course they are wild caught. Not that many years ago all 3 (commonly kept) species were all classified as childrens and were 'interbred' with ignorance, no we can only go by what they look the most like.

The correct word is genus, a scientific name is written like this.
Morelia spilota cheynei
Genus species sub-species

As shown above they are possible.
Ah, thank you for clearing that up for me.

It is an interesting point though, that we can't be for sure certain of the "pureness" of our pythons due to the fact that we have no idea what they've been breed with down the line. You might have a Carpet that's 1/16th Jungle and you wouldn't know the difference.

It would be interesting to breed the "black headedness" of a bhp into other species though, I've always liked that quality about them.

Jason said:
dont really understand your comment about the albinos? id assume your breeding albinos to everything??

dave was referring to the fact that albinoism is a mutation, and it's considering illegal to knowingly create mutations. In my opinion, it's a stupid law, and is probably just to prevent said mutation from having more appearences in natural populations should that particular animal escape.

If both parents were high quality and healthy, possibly.
But i probably wouldnt sell the hatchies off, id just keep them.
Maybe in the future, but for now, as someone else said, its just funny watching the American muatations.
Albino Cinnamon Ball Python.jpg Spider Piebald.jpg

l plan to take much bigger steps across the gene pool . l intend to be the first to cross a python with a rat . Having trouble getting them to mate .

I hope to breed my diamond zebra crosses next season (the result of breeding a 50% diamond jungle cross with a zebra jungle carpet which makes them 25% diamond influence).

DSC06745.jpg

Male zebra diamond cross

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back