Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Will you be crossing your subspecies??

• Yes, I look forward to creating something unique and interesting.

Votes: 110 17.1%
  • I would consider it if I thought there was a market for them.

Votes: 38 5.9%
  • I would consider it if they looked really good.

Votes: 96 14.9%
  • No, I would never ever do it, keep things pure IMO.

Votes: 290 45.0%
  • I would keep one as a pet, but would never breed it.

Votes: 110 17.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
If both parents were high quality and healthy, possibly.
But i probably wouldnt sell the hatchies off, id just keep them.
Maybe in the future, but for now, as someone else said, its just funny watching the American muatations.
View attachment 66004 View attachment 66005

I like that first BP, but the second...ummmm...lol not so much, but i'm sure a lot of work has gone into producing it!

I recently gave away 2 childrens i wasn't 100% sure one. They were given to a friend and a family member .....

This is how hybrids end up back in the gene pool. The 'friend' loses interest in the snake and passes it on to somebody else forgetting to inform that it's a hybrid and then the next owner does the same and before you know it it's a pure animal producing pure offspring. Which brings me back to my point in one of the other threads, if it's not visibly hybrid and nobody knows any different how is it a problem?

I was given this x bred snake ( m.d and brissie and darwin who knows what else) last year because the owner could not get it to eat..
I have no intentions to breed from it and i wont be selling it as it seems to have a great disposition and i do want to see what it looks like as it matures.
Also , by keeping it in my own collection i am ensuring it wont be bred with anything else.
The breeder of this particular snake is a member of this site. No so much a x breed but an assortment of coastals from different areas...Does this count?

i would keep them but not breed....but thats a stunner! he looks fabuolous!!!!

What a joke...
With all the brilliant lines available to the public to work with these days....
There seems to be a large percentage of new keepers that believe instead of putting the time; effort;
and hard yards into obtaining good quality locality forms....it's so much easier to just cross whatever; to see if you may in fact 'jag' a nice animal.....disgusting; and IMO these people shouldn't be allowed to hold a licence.
Some have pointed out; why bother? as Parks for the most part; will not enforce laws; that in some states; prohibit the breeding or creation of hybrids....so what? since when have government Departments got it right? Did they not allow the importation of many things that have; in fact already stuffed; or altered our natural bio-diversity for the most part..... it's up to all of us to be responsible for our 'own' actions; seldom seen in the 'New age Aussie'. It's also interesting to note that some of those in a position to educate the general public; for the most part; have accepted that it's happening anyway; rather then pointing out to those less experienced; why it's important to try and keep captive lines pure to the best of our ability..... go through old threads if your not aware as to the many problems associated with the introduction of Hybrids into the hobby; look over-sea's and see just how good there've got it ..... oh that's right; I suppose I'm to be labelled a 'purest'...not a 'realest'

What a joke...
With all the brilliant lines available to the public to work with these days....
There seems to be a large percentage of new keepers that believe instead of putting the time; effort;
and hard yards into obtaining good quality locality forms....it's so much easier to just cross whatever; to see if you may in fact 'jag' a nice animal.....disgusting; and IMO these people shouldn't be allowed to hold a licence.
Some have pointed out; why bother? as Parks for the most part; will not enforce laws; that in some states; prohibit the breeding or creation of hybrids....so what? since when have government Departments got it right? Did they not allow the importation of many things that have; in fact already stuffed; or altered our natural bio-diversity for the most part..... it's up to all of us to be responsible for our 'own' actions; seldom seen in the 'New age Aussie'. It's also interesting to note that some of those in a position to educate the general public; for the most part; have accepted that it's happening anyway; rather then pointing out to those less experienced; why it's important to try and keep captive lines pure to the best of our ability..... go through old threads if your not aware as to the many problems associated with the introduction of Hybrids into the hobby; look over-sea's and see just how good there've got it ..... oh that's right; I suppose I'm to be labelled a 'purest'...not a 'realest'
Sticky this. Nuff said, that should sum up for the "realists". Haven't seen anything from the "pro's" to come close.

I hope to breed my diamond zebra crosses next season (the result of breeding a 50% diamond jungle cross with a zebra jungle carpet which makes them 25% diamond influence).

DSC06745.jpg

Male zebra diamond cross

No offence bro, I live in the heart of diamond python country, and that snake apart from a few minor differences looks like a fairly ordinary diamond. A good looking pure diamond has it all over that. So why go to all the trouble? Mind you, in the wild here probably every fourth or fifth python I have to catch is a stunner, the rest fairly average like that. Got an impressive title though. Diamond zebra jungle with a 25% diamond influence.......wooooooo!!!!

It's also interesting to note that some of those in a position to educate the general public; for the most part; have accepted that it's happening anyway; rather then pointing out to those less experienced; why it's important to try and keep captive lines pure to the best of our ability.....

Unfortunately when I have a mate or two round and they wanna see a snake, we'll get to chatting and quite often the "What will you be breeding with what in the future?" Question comes up and they can't seem to understand what the fuss is. I try and explain it to them and I hope they understand but no matter how much I stress the point of not crossing subspecies or anything else I can't help think that if given the oportunity (Quite a number of my mates want a snake off me when I start breeding) some of them might just go and breed a coastal and a jungle, or a jungle and a bredli or something to just because they might have a male and female.

but I'll still tell em everytime I see em that it's not right and shouldn't be done.

What a joke...

totally agree tremain.. I really think the Government NPWS Departments also need to make reptile licences much harder to obtain.. and make sure people are competent at least in some of the basic elements involved in successful reptile keeping and management before they actually aquire any animals...

What is the point of the license if you need absolutely no 'qualifications' to actually obtain it ? It's like handing out a drivers license with a box of cornflakes, actually up here in Queensland I think that IS what they do.

I totally agree with Tremain, Colin, and Steve. Can't believe how shallow and narrow sighted some people are, i haven't noticed 1 long term keeper that is willing to contaminate the hobby with mongral hybrids ! is the pre- requisite for a licence to FAIL AN IQ TEST !

What a joke...

Very well put,

What is the point of the license if you need absolutely no 'qualifications' to actually obtain it ? It's like handing out a drivers license with a box of cornflakes, actually up here in Queensland I think that IS what they do.

I agree that NPWS do nothing to encourage the rules they set, but I fear that making licenses harder to obtain it will just result in a greater number of people to not bother getting a license and will encourage them to either catch, buy off license and most likely just result in them getting a corn snake, a boa, or a chameleon.
In my opinion I don’t think that the legal licensed keepers are that far ahead of the people breeding exotics etc at the moment. I am always meeting an increasing number of people keeping and breeding exotics. While I agree that it should be somewhat more difficult to obtain, possible requiring a reptile’s keeper course, I don’t think it’s the solution and I don’t think they would do it anyway.
I believe that there should be a one-day keeping course before people can get a license or possibly bring in the breeders license that should require a minimum of maybe 5 years keeping and an additional cost etc, which may filter some of the ‘crap’ out.

spot on Jason, to bring in a license that require's a minimum of 5 years keeping before your allowed the privilege of breeding our native faunna would be a good thing, i for 1 don't want to see morelia spilota mongralii added to the list ! maybe this might also help to weed out some of the $$$ hungry a-holes that have infested our once great hobby trying to make a quick buck....

if it would make me a few million $$$$$ maybe

No offence bro, I live in the heart of diamond python country, and that snake apart from a few minor differences looks like a fairly ordinary diamond. A good looking pure diamond has it all over that. So why go to all the trouble? Mind you, in the wild here probably every fourth or fifth python I have to catch is a stunner, the rest fairly average like that. Got an impressive title though. Diamond zebra jungle with a 25% diamond influence.......wooooooo!!!!

Bully for you sunshine but the reason that some people keep crosses over seas is often down to finances. A diamond python is pretty much out of the reach of many in the UK and Europe due to that they cost an arm and a leg - a diamond cross however is a cheaper alternative for those who like the diamond look and they may cost anything from a tenth of to up to at most a quarter of the price of a true diamond.

Oh and the reason why i bother is due to that the fact the next generation could well end up looking like this fella..

25diamzeb_thumb.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back