Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
'Most Australian specimans of Green Tree Pythons have a thin, mid-dorsal line, sometimes a dusky line in which lie scattered pale green or yellow-green scales, SOMETIMES organized in solid continuous line of pale green or white scales. This vertebral stripe of pale scales is also typical of SOUTHERN NEW GUINEA specimans. This VARIES AMONG INDIVIDUALS IN IT'S COMPLETNESS and distinction; it begins on the neck and passes posteriorly along the vertebral line onto the tail where, typically, it becomes less distinct. The tail tip maybe green, pale, dark grey or black. Indistinct BLUE LATERAL MARKINGS MAYBE APPARENT, INCLUDING VERTICAL LINES, OCELLI, OR DOTS. White or yellow scales maybe randomly scattered along the sides. On the side of the head a BLUE LINE, sometimes indistinct, extends from the nasal scale above the nostril, passing backward thru the eye and ending above and slightly behind the angle of the jaw. The labial scales around the mouth are paler in colouration; usually pale green, pale- yellow, or white. In some specimans the labial scales may exhibit CONSIDERABLE BLUE COLOURATION'.
DAVID G. BARKER.

obee

Hmm. Interesting discussion.
I am sorry to hear Big guy story. Must be heart braking to loose all the animals like that.
And I agree with Ad. Somebody should dig deep in to his concience and apologize.
Til now Bob posted here only valuble posts with help or articles backed by extreme experiance.
Thank you Bob for your valuble contributions.
I would like to ask you if we can keep some of your stories in this forum as a Article.

slateman i have absolutely nothing to apologize for, the one time i did, i did and deleted the comment.i have a clear conscience because on this topic bob is inconsistant and inconcise, and if he would like to continue his leads of info and experience i shall prove so.i will stick to the tone of the thread buy his lead as i don't have to get to the ugly facts to prove his shortcomings on oz gtp's.
slateman this is your opinion and not necessarily the opinion of all according to my many pm's,e-mails and phonecalls of encouragement.

obee

I have two emails to attach. I hope this works as I am not good at working PC's.

1st is an email from David Wilson who is doing his PHD on Greens at Cape York. Here you will see that David states all the specimens he found share the same colour and paterning, however a few had small(less then 5cms) blue blotches. He then goes on to say that none had any lines of any colours on their bodies.

Obee directed us to look at Tims web site. Looking at these pics I couldn't help notice the Blue lines on their bodies. I also noticed Tim's site states Merauke types, note Cape York specimens, which would be more correct.

The second email is from Greg Maxwell who goes on to state his book should not be used to claim their are no differences between Merauke Greens and Australian Greens.

I also sent Greg pictures of Obees Greens. You can read his comments re these as well.

I will not ague with Obee any more and take up valuable time with a person who ignores all facts just for financial gains. I have nothing to gain by telling the truth re his snakes. I am not trying to have people buy mine over his. I DONT BREED THEM ANY MORE thanks to OSea. I am simply alerting people that these are not what he is claiming. However, please also remember that as no one has bred Aussie Greens for years, Buckleys line is the only safe one to buy if you want these beautiful snakes without fear of them being confiscated in the future.

To the many people who sent me PM's of support on this issue and urged me to continue with the debate. Thanks. I think people with any intelligence can easily make up there own minds after reading the facts I have supplied, compared to emontinal insults thrown at me. :D

I will try again with the attachments. Hope they work this time. I told I can not work PC's. :oops:

Still not attaching. Slateman junior has been contacted and hopefully by this afternoon, the problem will be solved and the letters can be attached. :D

hey all,
To be honest today is the first time i have read this thread
I will admit i know harrdly anything about gtp as i have never had any and probly wont for a long time and i have only been in the reptile game for 4years but everyone i have talked to about reptiles have told me bob (bigguy) is the man to talk to about reptiles if they dont know how to answer my ques and thats what i have done anytime i have ask him something he has got back to me asap with everything i needed to know and even a little more
I belive Bob would know what he is talking abouting in regards to gtp due to havin 20 yrs exp that is a long time
im not saying obee doesnt have knowledge about the gtp and where they come from but bob has raised very good points about yours and where they have come from and has backed up everything he has said
im not trying to disrespect obee or bob or anyone else because i dont know them and therfore have no right to say anything
just thought i would say something and it is up to you if you wanna listen or ignor me either is ok with me
once again i am pretty new to the reptile game compaired to alot of you
Mark

I am trying a way that David Ludtz suggested. Hopes this works.

If it does heres Greg Maxwell's rely that states do not use his book to say the Merauke and Cape yorks have no differences, and take special note of his comments re Obees pictures I sent him. Of cause Obee will probably say Gregs wrong as well. What would Greg know anyway, he only wrote the first book on these snakes afterall.
----- Original Message -----
To: Snaketails
Sent: Sunday, May 16, 2004 12:48 AM
Subject: Re: Green pythons
Hi Bob,

I'm sorry to hear that my book is being used (inadvertently or intentionally) to market various color forms of green tree pythons as locality or race specific. The chapter in my book on wild race descriptions was intended as a general overview of the species and was based on the available information I had, and on generally accepted phenotype descriptions. I made it abundantly clear that specific claims of race or locality MUST be documented or they are nearly worthless. I have fought long and hard against those here in the US making bogus claims merely to sell animals, and it comes as no surprise to me that you are apparently having to do the same thing. It must be stated that my book is a popular account (not a scientific study) that focuses mainly on the captive husbandry and breeding of GTPs. It should definitely not be used to bolster the locality claims of animal dealers!

Here is a statement that you can use for your discussion forum:

"The Complete Chondro is a popular-style book that focuses primarily on the captive husbandry and breeding of Morelia viridis in the United States. The chapter on race and locality typing was included for general informational purposes, and was not intended as an authoritative statement about taxonomic or phenotypic issues. I believe that overall, the text is accurate and useful, but it should not be used to substantiate locality claims by animal dealers. Any specific race or geographic locality claim MUST be accompanied with verifiable documentation or it is nearly meaningless. Identifying various specimens based on outward appearance is highly speculative, and buyers and sellers of green tree pythons do so mostly out of wishful thinking. Of course, there are some legitimate locality chondros in collections and breeding programs, but these claims must be based on sound data for the founder animals, not some reptile dealer's opinion. My book should not be used as a proof reference that no differences can be established between PNG, Merauke, or Cape York specimens." Greg maxwell

As far as identifying the animals in the photos you sent, I have seen dozens if not hundreds that look very similar. These have been identified as Aru, PNG "mainland". Again, without any specific data, making anything close to an accurate identification is difficult. I have seen captive produced offspring from Barker-collected Meraukes that can't outwardly be distinguished from the average Aru specimen. I hope this helps.

Take care,

Greg Maxwell

And if I am lucky heres the email from David Wilson. This was the first time I had ever heard of Aussie Greens with any sort of Blue Markings as you can read from my post to David. This was discovered after I had posted a thread on Greens that Ad used at the start off this thread. Was I being inconsistant. No. I just learned something new with Davids email. You are always learning. Thats the name of the game.

----- Original Message -----
To: "Snaketails" <[email protected]>
Sent: Monday, September 22, 2003 4:41 PM
Subject: Re: Green Tree Pythons

> Bob,
> Yes, I'm doing a phd on green pythons at Iron Range. I'm just about to
> start my second wet season up here with lots of things going on.
> The 80 or so that I have seen have been fairly consistent in their
> patterning. All were light green with a single broken white or yellow line
> of scales along their 'spine'. If individuals had blue patches these were
> small (<5cm) and occurred apparently randomly on the body, with up to
three
> patches on an individual. No big blotches and definitely no lines (of any
> colour - also no triangular coloured scales coming off the spine like from
> some NG specimens). Some also had small blue patches (only a few scales)
on
> their heads. In all other respects these were similar to the normal
> patterning. None of these was anything like the 'blues' that some breeders
> advertise from the US.
> I don't have any good photos of
> chondros with blue patches, but will try this year.
> Sometime before I finish I'd like to have a chat about your chondro
> experiences. Perhaps next year when I come out of the jungle.
> Cheers, Dave
>
>
> At 06:09 PM 20/09/2003 +1000, you wrote:
> >David,
> >
> >I was speaking to Tim at Ultimate the other day and he told me about your
> >reseach on the GTP's at Iron Range.
> >
> >I have been involved with Aussie Greens for nearly 20 years. I currently
> >own 1 male, and know of only another 6 in private collections in
> >Australia. All I have seen over the last 20 years shared the same
> >background colour and paterning. That is a lighter green colour with
> >either yellow or white spots spread out along their backbone. I have yet
> >to see one from Australia which was covered in Blue blotches or lines.
> >> >
> >If you had any pic's of these blue marked specimens, I would love to see
them.
> >
> >My male was origionally bred by Rob Bredl. The parents were collected
> >under permit by his father Joe from Iron Range. Of the
> >2 clutches Robby bred only a few are alive today.
> >
> >I have attached a pic of my male, which is the typical type of Aussie GTP
> >that I have seen.
> >
> >Regards
> >Bob Withey
> >Australian Reptile Displays

Oh, and my very last word on this subject. Obee stated that the picture of my Aussie Green had blue markings, and then inferred mine must be from Southern PNG as well. . Everyone, go back and look at the picture I attached to my thread. If you can see blue blotches or lines on that snake you have better eyesight than me. Keep throwing the mud Obee, but I am affraid the evidence just keeps on mounting against you.

Sooner or later, you are just going to have to bite the bullet and admit yours are not pure Australians as they have PNG bloodlines as even you admitted knowing about. Advertise them truthfully. That is Green Pythons with legally imported PNG bloodlines which are absolutly safe from confiscations.

By your own reasoning that Meraukes are Australian, than every other PNG Green in Australia is also a Aussie Type, so therefore theirs are all legal to. So why advertise yours are the only safe ones to buy. You cant have it both ways, if you base it just on DNA and the difference is not big enough for a court of law, then every PNG Green in Australia is an Aussie type so everyones is legal as well. Great aguement.

I am learnig a lot in this topic. Thank you again Bigguy and obee for this great debate with out dirty tactics. Looks like you bought have different opinion. I am sure that most of people after reading all the materials you guys presented , (at least one party did),are able to build their own opinion on this subject.

Greetings guys,
I have been caught up with family life of late and have now had a chance to catch up with the "discussions" that have been going on this thread. Must say that this topic is one that has been very informative, particularly given the Amnesty at present, beyond just GTP info.
I must say that the moderaters of this thread have done this site credit in allowing the thread to flow the way it has without any bias - well done guys. It is possible to have a differing of opinions and not have to be totally PC about the whole thing and this is a fairly emotive subject.
I have just a few observations I would like to throw in about my feelings on this subject to date, please bear with me.

Ad, did you truly think that by challenging Obee on his animals you weren't going to get a response? Well you got that and more by the sounds of it. My opinion is that by announcing you had 'shared' the photos with your fictionary American friends for comment and that they had all substantianted your claims was just inflammatory. To add insult to your character, you couldnt/wouldn't provide the forum so that those of us could also view the apparent ' expertise' of your American pals!

As for Bob, having no personal experience with the man, I can only comment on my perceptions i have derived from his postings on this thread. You have provided some wonderful facts and interesting information, courtesy of other more experienced people. Great to back up an arguement, but when it comes to the actual, successful hands on experience of breeding, you are no more an expert than obee. Being a brilliant theorist as you well know does not make you a successful breeder or an authority on a subject. It is the practical application of this knowledge, so quote away Bob, because Obee without your 20 years has healthy animals that are getting close to the magic breeding age.
As for the constant barbs at Obee about the mudslinging, both you and Ad may want to go and have a break and get the dirt out under your fingernails too, as you both shouldn't think that either you or Ad can take the moral high ground in any of this.
At the end of the day Obee has always maintained that his animals have been Deemed(the magic word people) Aussie and openly discussed the parentage way back in the bloodlines of a singular PNG animal yet all you guys seem intent on doing is preferring to name them as PNG animals exclusively. No sour grapes right guys. :wink: As for the e-mail from David which is not current by about about 8 months?? as we actually live up here, personal friends and people in their professional capactiy are definately coming across these animals fairly regulary and all have commented on a degree of blue. Not blue animals, but blue colourations. Must be a touch wearing to have to continually derive all your info out of texts and captive bred animals that you become so cynical to the realities that people are actually coming across GTP's in their natural environment.

At the end of the day, I think ego's have been damaged, and I can think I can vouch for Obee and say his (ego) is doin fine and everyone is entitled to their own opions but in this case one party, unlike the other is supported by the law to keep, breed and sell his legally deemed Aussie GTP's. :lol:

Regards Rina

Rina,

Nothing wrong with my ego. As for your comments I cant even see how you can even have one. Do you keep them. No. You are quoting hearsay and thats all. In a court of law you wouldn't even be allowed on a witness stand

Now isn't funny that David Wilson, PHD candidate who with NPWS permission studies and lives with these animals 6 months of the year, yet his observations are deemed wrong by you as "people up your way are regulary finding Greens with degrees of blue" yet David has only found a few with no more then 3 less than 5 cm blotches, and never with blue lines. Has anyone got a picture. No. Oh what a surprise. Hearsay is worthless without proof to back it up. Isn't also funny that every wild Green that was ever photograhped at Cape York and published in books and magazines dont appear to have any blue either. You should have "your people" tell David where to find these ellusive creatures

And your comments that Obee is ahead of me with experience as he currently has 6 17 month old Greens. Dream on. He's never even bred one nor does he even own a true Aussie Green. I have bred them twice, and still own a Aussie Green which Obee never has yet. I think that scores me just slightly higher in experience than Obee. Just because I choose not to purchase PNG Greens as I only choose to keep AUSTRALIAN reptiles, takes nothing away from my experience. Together with Graeme Gow, I have kept Greens longer than anyone in this country.

And how does one "deem to be Australian" with PNG blood. Its a hybrid at best, and resembles(according to a world class expert Maxwell) those found in PNG, not Australia

At the end of the day Rina you will find I backed my opinion with facts and expert opinions. You on the other hand, like Obee back you case on hearsay. Anyone can say they know people, who know people who have seen things. But without proof such as photo's or live specimens, well its really worthless information that appears to have been created to try and justify PNG greens in this country. Even Obee stated David Wilson was in his opinion an expert on Greens, so I tend to believe his results over"people up there"

You also state I should clean under my own mails, meaning I was mudslinging. As everyone has quoted I was polite as can be and only every quoted facts. Not one gram of mud ever left my hands.
But you buddy Obee on the other hand resorted to it all the time. He personally attacked my appearance, he attacked my experience, he quoted I was inconsistand(yet I never changed my view even slightly on this thread), he then even challanged my honesty and reputation by stating I have had bad dealings with people which he never backed up.

Its obvious from your comments that in some way you are very friendly with Obee, and I as well as most people reading your thoughts find your comments very BIAS. For someone to read the entire thread and state I was mudslinging in any way, and to ignore every fact presented by myself and world experts just proves it. I also noticed that same bias from you in another thread regarding myself. Its the oldest trick in the bush. If you can not disprove facts, than try to discredit the people who state them.

As far as I'm concerned this is the best thread I've ever read on APS. It has been informative and opened my eyes to a lot of things, not just on the subject of Australian Green Tree Pythons.

It's opened my eyes to the fact that some people just cannot help but argue with experience just for their own gain. Bob has clearly and politely stated only facts in this matter - none of them ever changing. I've just re-read every single post in this thread and not once does Bob's opinion or facts change.

On the other hand, Obee's statements DID change and really nobody has discredited Obee as much as himself and his unwavering, seemingly starry-eyed sidekick Rina.

This on Page 2 - inferring that Obee's GTP's are definately Australian (why would he pay $30, 000 otherwise???)

obee said:
I would think in future if anyone is going to purchase gtp's make sure they are aussies or it could become very costly when they come to get 'em.

This on Page 3 - stating they are DEFINATELY Australian GTP's. Obee later goes on to say that he ALWAYS referred to them as "deemed aussie" but here he clearly says "definately aussies"

obee said:
Ad interesting about your mates comments about it being a sorong animal,proves they don't really know what they are talkin' about as DNA doesn't lie.The clutch was tested ,definately aussie.GUESS THEY DON'T GET TO SEE AUSSIE GTP'S SO WOULD JUST TAKE A STAB AT WHAT IT IS[PUT IT DOWN TO IGNORANCE].

Finally on Page 6 - NOW after much researched and quality fact-filled posts by Bob, Obee changes his story to include that magic word "deemed"

obee said:
they are deemed aussie with dna proof and the safest line in the country

Slateman said in another thread about Bob being the winner. I'd say not with having all his stock basically stolen by morons years ago. There has in this thread however, been some very sore losers of the debate. I think Obee's animals are beautiful but I couldn't buy from someone who is willing to go to such extraordinary lengths (after facts are provided) to mislead we the public for what will inevitably be his financial gain.

Simon Archibald

Bob,
Lets do this in point form .
*As you do not live up here, just as I have to believe your accounts from Wilson, (who before you take this and run a mile with, I am not saying is incorrect in the info he has given you), you are in no way obliged to take my word about the casual finds friends are having with these animals. Believe me , the indigenous community up here are quite blase about the sightings of GTP's.
*As for your assertion that I stated that Obee is ahead of you in breeding GTP's, grab the glasses and have another go at reading my post again. In terms of expertise in breeding GTP's I no more consider you an expert than Obee because at the end of the day neither of you are at any stage of breeding GTP's at the moment, but just made a referance to all your years involved with the animals and the limited breeding success you had. Your info Bob, not heresay.
*As for the derision you treat the word " Deemed", in a court of law it is the magic word. Sing PNG at the top of your lungs, but DNA has decided the facts of Obee's GTP's and those who choose to purchase any subsequent hatchlings will get the full history of his animals bloodlines. Wonder where we would transport you or others too, if the government decided to deport on the basis of DNA , despite your genetic origins being Aussie many generations back. Once again, hold the vigilante party guys, there was nothing personal here, just a rhetorical question.
*As for alluding to 'my very close friendship' with Obee, you are right but not for the snide manner in which you are so very simperingly trying to write so you don't come off as the bad guy. I won't say anything about that friendship because quite frankly it is none of your business and Obee does not dictate my opinions, but I will say that had you been the one in Obee's shoes when Ad started this thread I would have defended your stance.
As individuals we approach confrontation differently, some choose to stand and face up and others will put the tail between the legs and slink off. I am not supporting either stance as it is a purely personal choice, but Obee had as much to lose in all this as you claim you do.
At the end of the day, I still think you and Obee have many more valuable contributions to make to the world of Aussie Herps.
Regards Rina

starry-eyed sidekick Rina
Simon,

Believe me three children shakes the stars right out of anyones eyes. If you are charging me as being starry eyed over Obee, guilty as charged because I will take your comment and interpret that as a loyal, not blindly though, friend.
Regards Rina

Rina that's all well and good, but why aren't you defending Obee's case about the GTP's now that I have managed to highlight the cracks in his story and his change of heart from "definately" to "deemed". Seems all you can do now is defend your relationship (which is obviously a good thing for both or you) and not defend the issue of GTP's anymore.

Simon Archibald

I can read lot of silly liketobe expert posting lately on this thread.
I am all the way behind Bob in his argument and I do concider him to be the one who know more about GTP then rest of people who are getting involved in argument.
Simon Archibald you did sum all of it just perfect.
I would advice BOB not to reply to any of the silly confrontations anymore. Bob did put his point clearly, and most of people do have opinion on this subject allready.
Well done Bob and thank you for keeping calm, you have excelent self control.

Just wondering why people seem to be jumping on Bob's bandwagon when they obviously have absolutely nothing to do with what's happening on this thread. It's between Obee and Bob, and up until people started chipping in with their totally unqualified 2 cents worth, this would have to have been the best thread in years here.
There's been valid points from both sides of the table. How about we just sit back and watch and not comment on something we know nothing about?

:D (to satisfy those who need it)

Greg.

Farkurnell said:
Just wondering why people seem to be jumping on Bob's bandwagon when they obviously have absolutely nothing to do with what's happening on this thread.

Greg,
I made my post because I thought it simply put into context that one side of the argument was changing their story and the other side was not. It simplified it. Although my comment was biased towards Bob's side, I did not comment on the actual GTP lineage debate. I merely commented on the fact Obee was changing his side of the story. That was my point of bias.

Simon Archibald

But Simon, why did you feel the need to point this out when everyone who's interested has already read the thread and formed their own opinions. Why did you bring it upon yourself to defend Bob? He had been doing really well on his own.
Ya's reckon I'm a trouble maker. Simon, all you've done is inflame things.

Greg.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back