Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Kurt if your concerned put on a jacket and some leather riggers gloves. That way if it does bite, it dont bite you. It is a way i use when sussing out big bhp's i'm not sure on ( after they get home ).

Yeah. I dont give them enough free neck to strike my face, plus i dont own a welding mask.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. When did you first start getting interested in Reptiles? - Since I was a weeeeeeeeeeeeeee tot. Had a blue tongue in the garden when I was 7yrs and a lizard pit filled with beardies, shinglebacks and blue tongues from 10yrs until the permit system was brought in.

2.What was your First reptile? - A bearded dragon.

3.What is your Fav reptile? - I have few favourites being the bearded dragons and Bredlis

4.What sort of work do you do? - I work at a pig farm.

5. What is the best reptile you have bred, or would like to breed? - My Bredlis who will be mating in September.

6.You most infuential herpetologist? - Ray Hoser. Who incidentally hates my line of work...lol

7.What was the most distressing time regarding your reptiles? - When Charlotte contracted two bacterial infections from a dodgey mouse she ate. 3 Weeks of daily antibiotic injections didn't save her :(

:lol: Very funny indeed.
For those members that don?t know Stretch and her humour, :wink:
she is a Cop!!!
:lol:

1. When did you first start getting interested in Reptiles?
My dad got me into them , I remember one day we out at the dam near port macqurie and i was climping up my jump tree and i put my hand on a green tree snake and absolutely shat myself and fell out of the tree ,my dad then went and caught it and i remeber when he got back down he was holding it and stank like **** then it just tagged him right on the chin and that amused me so yeh ever since that day which was a good8 years ago
2.What was your First reptile?
I prolly shouldent say this but it was a snake that I caught out of my backyard a few years back that had been injured ,hemiaspis signata pretty large for this tyope of snake maybe 50cm and just kept it and hoped it got better which it did
What is your Fav reptile?
aspidites melanocephalus, liasis childreni, or any australian crocs or alligators
4.What sort of work do you do?
I WORK AT THE REPTILE PARK !!! yeow its such a great job i have only been working there a little while and its a great experience, I work in the giftshop and reception but I also get to go behind the scenes with all the baby alligators and anything else back there.Steve waugh was there today pretty sick stuff!and I was introduced to John weigal aswell top bloke.
5. What is the best reptile you have bred, or would like to breed?
perfect offspring of childrens pythons would be great
6.You most infuential herpetologist?
I know ill get fire for this but the fact of the matter is he is an excellent herpetoligest....steve Irwin also John weigal and Eric worrell
7.What was the most distressing time regarding your reptiles?
when I couldent get one @#$% @#$@%$ @% ^% #^# @$ @

This is combined answers for Mel and BobTheBuilder:

1. When did you first start getting interested in reptiles?

Mel: Only 4 or 5 years ago. I'd always lived on a farm in Tassie, so snakes were 'bad'. It wasn't until I moved to Queensland and encountered some pythons as pets that I instantly fell in love with the idea.

Bob: I had always been curious, but never really entertained the idea of keeping them. After Mel got into them, I came to love them really quickly.

2. What was your first reptile?

Mel: My first reptile was a yearling Maculosa that I got from Bruce Riddel in Marsden, Qld. He is THE best little python.

Bob: My first reptile was a young Stimpsons python. He was a troubled child, and wasn't the best feeder. Despite this, he turned out to be an awesome little python. An excellent handler and a voracious eater.

3. What is your favourite reptile?

Mel: I love Black Heads. They stole my heart at the Brisbane Aquarium and Reptile show some years ago.

Bob: Black and Gold Jungle Pythons

4. What sort of work do you do?

Mel: I'm a Psychology Lecturer for Charles Sturt University.

Bob: Naval Architect/Engineer. My main work revolves around design and survey approval of commercial vessels.

Mel: I have only bred Maccy's, but they were pretty damn good, even if I do say so myself. I'd like to breed BHP one day.

Bob: Have bred Maccies, but would like to breed B&G Jungles.

6. Who is your most influential herpetologist?

Mel: Don't really know. I can't say that I've really pinned it down.

Bob: Probably Bruce Riddel, for starting us on the path with our first python with no problems. Also, Paul Berridge for good advice and help whenever we need it. Paul reminds you that there are good honest people in the hobby.

7. What was the most distressing time regarding your reptiles?

Mel and Bob: That is an easy one, unfortunately. Last year, I bought a python from interstate, and she had mites. Despite our best efforts, they spread to my most favourite python, and she became very, very ill, and almost died.

Unfortunately, we're going through that drama again. After buying 2 pythons 2 weeks ago, they have turned up as having mites. They are quarantined in another area of the house (from the rest of our collection), but as you all know, it's still a MAJOR drama. Daily cleaning, frequent bathing, chemical treatments, washing, etc, etc. Plus, they were bought for breeding purposes, and they'll be no good for that this year now.

We are going to sit down soon and write a really in-depth article on ticks and mites in snake collections. Anyone out there who has any info, statistics, pics or personal experience that they'd like to share, we'd really appreciate hearing from you, to ensure that our article is as complete as possible. Just PM Mel, or email [email protected]

Cheers

About Me

. When did you first start getting interested in Reptiles?
I got interested about 7yrs ago :lol:

My first reptile is a carpet python

3.What is your Fav reptile?
All species pythons

am a vet nurse part time mum fulltime

would like to bred Carpet pythons

John weigel, I read most of his books :)

when my first python monty passed away :cry:

Re: About Me

Year 11/12, my older brother was thinking of getting one which got me started thinking 'bout it too but it wasn't until 2003 when I actually got one. (my brother incidentally, is afraid of my boy :lol: misunderstanding on his part but he won't try holding the snake again!)

A beautiful Coastal Carpet. He's also my only reptile.

Frillies, most pythons

I work p/t at Kmart but hopefully will be going to work at Thredbo soon!

5.What is the best reptile you have bred, or would like to breed?
I'd luv to breed frillies and jungles not sure if I will tho

6.You're most infuential herpetologist?
Jeff Corwin. I absolutely luv him. So funny! Also John Weigel, learnt lots from his books

When the light heating his enclosure died (no the bulb didn't blow :roll: ) I couldn't get a sparky round for a week. I'd just gotten my python so was afraid (paranoid) that I'd end up killing him. The light dying didn't help me at all :(

ever since i got tagged by a bluey in my back yard
a pair of shingle backs

frilled necked lizards and sand goannas

work in miter 10 garden center as pond and watering expert also have started my own work doing pond instulations
5.What is the best reptile you have bred, or would like to breed?
as i have only breed blueys i can only say them but i would love to breed frillys soon

6.You're most infuential herpetologist?
sir crikey
when my snakes got mites and i could not get rid of them (dam australian bird and reptile centre)

what did yoiu buy off them? there stuff nowadays is shocking reptiles under weight and not shedding properly and i also asked what a snake was once and the guy told me it was an eastern brown he thinks, it was a slatey grey and was a mental.

didn't i was going for a job interview and held there animals wich are all mentals and snap at anything they also had dead animals and when i told them they said they were sleeping

Re: "Getting too know you, getting too know all about y

when i was 3
a bearded dragon
carpet pythons
volenteer at rspca and aussie zoo
havent bred any yet but would like to breed bearded dragons
steve irwin, mark o'shea, jeff corwin
7.What was the most distressing time regarding your reptiles? getting bitten by a 7' carpet python at the age of 4

about 4 weeks ago
Murray darling python
Murray darling python
Student at nudgee college
I would like to breed, tree snakes
Jimmy_the_kid lol im so sad
7.What was the most distressing time regarding your reptiles? When i was attacked by a couple of carpets, and my dad and grandfather slaughterd like a whole nest of babues and 2 adults .....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back