Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am sure they do escape elsewhere Australis but it seems to be only you Australians who whinge so much about snakes being anti hybrid (and by whinge I mean whinge more than us pomes) and stating that it is the hybrids that will cause the problems to you native snakes when they escape.

In addition to hybridisation should you also not be looking down your noses at line breeding as this in time will result with you having snakes that also look a million miles away from their natural form. Many people say that so and so snake is a 'specific locality' but due to the fact that it has been selectively bred by the best looking of its species (which again is not what the snakes in question would go for as they are just up for a good old mating session and the females pattern is irrelevant) it generally looks nothing like its true form (but however does look good).

So in addition to hydrids should you also be now bullying the keepers who selectively breed?

You should face it, you may not like the keeping / making of hybrid species but you are fighting a loosing battle. As time progresses you will find that most snakes kept in captivity will be far larger and more attractively patterned than their native counterparts.

ps. you will also find that the majority of Australian snakes smuggled out of Australia is by Australians. You will also find that the majority of it was captive bred too such as the albino darwins etc etc

Apart from the generalisations and resulting anti-Aussie feeling you seem to be expressing i agree with most of what you are saying. Some cant seem to get their heads around the idea that once you are keeping something in a box and removing natural selection you arnt dealing with wild animals anymore, but rather starting to domesticate them.

Zobo, agaib, for the 400th time, My god that jungle is rediculous. If you die can I have that one?

He'd be close to breeding now wouldn't he? What are you gunne put him with?

No I think I have to leave him to wife in my will!

He was bought as a palmerston jungle? but who knows? all I know is the parents looked jungle.

I have some cracker palmerston females I got from Nik STOCK for him to go with. He is big enough but not sure on females......maybe I need to STUD him out!!

jas

No I think I have to leave him to wife in my will!

He was bought as a palmerston jungle? but who knows? all I know is the parents looked jungle.

I have some cracker palmerston females I got from Nik STOCK for him to go with. He is big enough but not sure on females......maybe I need to STUD him out!!

jas

I think you should... ;);)

I've got a Stock female here. She ain't striped but I'm sure she's het. Very yellow too...Nick and Rex breed some stunners aye. :D

Well, I have been watching this thread every now and then, but have been out of action for the last week or so due to some family issues. Anyway, I got a few minutes so I thought I would add to the thread...

Gorgeous Prossie Joel, stunning as always... not just above average! ;)

Krefft, Hot first pic! I think I got some animals from the same clutch and the same guy in QLD, they were very Jag like. Mine looks great, but is still quite small as I quarantine any new stock/blood for 1-2yrs. Rather be safe than sorry and they unfortunately don't get fed as often as the animals in my main collection, which are in a different building.

Rob, I agree with what you are saying. Albinos are the perfect example, but wouldn't the doubt be cast over new species of Albino carpets eg Jungles, not the Darwins??

Yes, there is always going to be room in this hobby for all kinds of keepers and their choices on what animals they wish to keep and or breed. As already said, one of the beauties of living down under!

We sure have come along way with selective and line breeding for specific result and traits, however there will always remain those that want to experiment (hybrids/crosses), and that is their choice. Our choice whether or not to buy from them.

Here is another nice Prossie...
RPcarpetmale.jpg

And results from selective breeding for white RP Jungles
WhiteRPjungle.jpg

Great thread by the way, well maybe... it's certainly had it's ups and downs LOL. I think this might be the longest running thread on APS ever!!

Zac.

Last edited:
Ok so after 28 pages and 412 posts all thats come out of this really is some random who no one knows is posting pics of hybrids that may or may not be his or even in australia and everyone is arguing about it?

I agree, lets add an entire page of comments that are even more pointless ;)

Just like Holden vs Ford, Which one is better, again it is only one's opinion....

One thing I have noticed after reading this thread, is that the people for hybrids are quite prepared to just disagree with the anti-hybrid users, but the same can't be said for the 'against' hybrid users.

I think people need to realise that they will not agree with each other no matter how much they push their own opinions on others.

Each side WILL NOT be able to change the others mindset and I think that we just have to accept that it will happen and the 'purists' can breed pure lines and the hybrid folk can do their thing.

I'm no betting man but I would put a lot of money on designer snakes taking over in the next few decades.

jas

Go the Anchovies while driving a Holden:D.........couldnt get any better.......yes it could Anchovies, a Clubsport, and a xxxx............Mmm, "liking lips"............:D

One thing I have noticed after reading this thread, is that the people for hybrids are quite prepared to just disagree with the anti-hybrid users, but the same can't be said for the 'against' hybrid users.

I think people need to realise that they will not agree with each other no matter how much they push their own opinions on others.

Each side WILL NOT be able to change the others mindset and I think that we just have to accept that it will happen and the 'purists' can breed pure lines and the hybrid folk can do their thing.

I'm no betting man but I would put a lot of money on designer snakes taking over in the next few decades.

jas
That is it in an eggshell Jas....

jas

That may be so but its because the purists will never directly affect the hybrid breeders,the same however can't be said in return.Designers snakes and hybrids don't necessarily go hand in hand either.It is quite possible to produce designer animals using only pure stock through selective breeding.

That may be so but its because the purists will never directly affect the hybrid breeders,the same however can't be said in return.Designers snakes and hybrids don't necessarily go hand in hand either.It is quite possible to produce designer animals using only pure stock through selective breeding.

Rather contradictive. Has anyone seen a tri striped coastal, jungle etc, in the wild.
We see striped but never seen tri's, not even photos of them. Iam sure if there was tri striped animals in the wild, there would be photos..... Seen neither.
I guess it is the same end result.

If that's the case why do the animals need to be pure stock?

Rather contradictive. Has anyone seen a tri striped coastal, jungle etc, in the wild.
We see striped but never seen tri's, not even photos of them. Iam sure if there was tri striped animals in the wild, there would be photos..... Seen neither.
I guess it is the same end result.

How is that contradictive? Are you implying that tri striped animals in the hobby are the result of hybridising?

Amen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back