Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
New Enclosure laws?

Hey guys haven't been able to find where it tells you the size of cages you will need for all the different species of reptiles its starting to worry me that ill have to build all new enclosures and that a lot of time and money will go down the drain because of it?

Cheers Caleb.

The measurement 1.225 that's on the table indicates the minimum area required for that category. It's there for the first one of each category. In this case olives and scrubbies need to be 1.7x0.7.

Wing_Nut

I've looked over and over this document at least 15 times and cant find any references to Appendix B, so I would suggest forget about Appendix B if anything it kinda shows how they came up with the area, but do yourself a favour throw it out / ignore it. Stay focused on the Tables 1, 2, 3 and Appendix A.

Olives and scrubbies are Cat E pythons (Appendix A) so therefore require an area (one per cage, aged over 18 months) of 1.225m2.

If you still focused on Appendix B you will see that 1.75m x 0.7m = 1.225m2 the min cage size. But the cage doesn't have to be 1.75m x 0.7m but the size either floor or back wall (being scrubbies are climbers) has to be 1.225m2.

What size enclosures are Tanami woma's and Diamond intergrades going to need?

Caleb.
Have a read of the document, it's all in there and you will need to know it. That's what all of us have done to get the info.

Yep cheers just did i think some of its just silly all my enclosures are fine for the snakes i have then they bring in this new stuff that's just going to take up space, take more of your money and people will loose some of there reptiles as they wont have the room for enclosures of that size. All my womas are doing fine in 1200x600x600 they don't even need it at 600 high i have my uncle coming down this weekend for easter and he is helping me make two enclosures out of the one halving the 600 high i'm not going to folk out all this money for enclosure space that they don't even need.

Caleb.

i have day light fluorescent globes in my garage, shed and lounge room. so that would count as day time as long as i give them 6 hours during the day even though its not in the enclosure.

This is a bit crazzy mine are well big then the suggested sizes but was wondering if I am still able to use marine carpit for my pythons floor and we now need to have light and heat for every thing what about if it from cooler climates I know for some reptiles like southern leaf tails it can get to hot in summer just in the ammbiant air

This is a bit crazzy mine are well big then the suggested sizes but was wondering if I am still able to use marine carpit for my pythons floor and we now need to have light and heat for every thing what about if it from cooler climates I know for some reptiles like southern leaf tails it can get to hot in summer just in the ammbiant air

i doubt it cause apparently we need substrate that they can burry themselves in. even though marine carpet is great and easy to wash i use it with my dogs.

is a 30x30x30 cage still okay for a thick-tailed gecko and do we need to supplie heat cause my room is the right temp for it :/

So long as your substrate keeps the reptile clean and dry and can be readily replaced or cleaned when soiled then that appears to meet the requirements of the code.

Regards

Wing_Nut

I have a bredli and use it for years in Queensland with out an issue easy to clean and not to rough on them I an concerned about using sand with pythons as it can cause other issues as for size of every thing I will be ok maybe. Sand it good substrate for some things but not all velvety I don't keep on sand as it can damage there feet. As
for bark flooring never use it on young lizards as thay can get it stuck in there mouths. Thing like hatchy dragon and gex don't want large aira as can put them of feeding if there to large sadly this is what the world comes to when to meny people vote for the greens lol won't be long now befor camping and 4x4 ing are not aloud as well.

i doubt it cause apparently we need substrate that they can burry themselves in. even though marine carpet is great and easy to wash i use it with my dogs.

I believe the code clearly states the animals that require substrate that they can burrow in. None of the python species are listed as requiring this.

Regards

Wing_Nut

I believe the code clearly states the animals that require substrate that they can burrow in. None of the python species are listed as requiring this.

Regards

Wing_Nut

thanks for the correction, i thought it applied to any reptile that burrows and alot of my pythons burry themselves in their substrate

So Please correct me if i'm wrong but the minimum enclosure size for most pythons is 4x2x2?

Cheers Caleb.

Python enclosure sizes are listed on page 32 of the COP. They vary from 0.5 x 0.3 to 1.75 x 0.7.

Regards

Wing_Nut

so does the back wall ( height of enclosure ) need to be the same as the floor space area ?

That's a little bit less clear, the code says either the floor or back wall area. That would require further clarification in my opinion.

Regards

Wing_Nut

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back