Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
For those like me who cannot be bothered with the math here is an online calculator
Online Conversion - Area calculator
Maybe the mods could put something like that as a sticky

LOL after figuring it all out it looks like I will be ok, as long as I swap a few species around (those that need swapping will suffer for it though :( ).

Last edited:
Can someone please tell me, will a 45x30x30cm enclosure be ok for 2-3 B class geckos (arboreal, 45cm is the height) ?
Also is a 100x40cm ok for 2 B class dragons?

Based on my calculations those size enclosure would be well over the minimum standard.

Wing_Nut

That's just silly about the UV lighting the snakes don't even need it was of money there.
And do they expect us to make little enclosures instead of hatchling racks to keep our hatchlings in?
Most breeders only have there hatchlings for 6 months max unless they hold some back to yearlings and then sell them off?
Not being about to use racks and having to make little enclosures that's just a waste of time and money.

Caleb.

That's just silly about the UV lighting the snakes don't even need it was of money there.
And do they expect us to make little enclosures instead of hatchling racks to keep our hatchlings in?
Most breeders only have there hatchlings for 6 months max unless they hold some back to yearlings and then sell them off?
Not being about to use racks and having to make little enclosures that's just a waste of time and money.

Caleb.

why cant you use racks for hatchlings under 6months?

For those like me who cannot be bothered with the math here is an online calculator
Online Conversion - Area calculator
Maybe the mods could put something like that as a sticky

If someone wants to make a post outlining the key points of the new legislation, including an online calculator, etc., I will definitely look at making it a sticky.

I would do it myself but my time will be a little tight for the next few days.

5.4.1.1 A light cycle (i.e. alternation between light and dark periods) must be maintained that is appropriate for the species being housed.

so we all need to get clear day lights or uv lights and give them a day and night time.

i personally use ceramic lights as they last longer and have my enclosures facing windows they they get heaps of light for all pythons. so this means i have to re wire alot of enclosures.

so does this means you can't keep pythons in tubs as you need to give them a day and night cycle.

''animals need substrate deep enough to be able to bury themselves'' no more newspaper......

PuraChips Professional Aspen Bedding anyone :lol:

I was actually quite surprised when reading this, as opposed to the original draft, I dont see an issue with these enclosure sizes for pythons.

In relation to fines... Be interesting to see if that is a one off $3000 fine or a $3000 fine per each breach of non-compliance. Expensive exercise if you have a bank of 4 enclosures undersize.

5.4.1.1 A light cycle (i.e. alternation between light and dark periods) must be maintained that is appropriate for the species being housed.

so does this means you can't keep pythons in tubs as you need to give them a day and night cycle.

Why cant you have a day/night cycle in tubs? Mine do. My whole herp room is on a day/night cycle.

Not yet... Although our SA environment department are more than reasonable...
I wouldn't be counting your chickens just yet... SA environment department is currently doing research to try and map the DNA of all Morelia sub species. I quote ''so it can be used in a court of law as evidence to prove Morelia sub species crosses'' this was the email I received from the director when I spoke to them about that whole bredli jag situation that went down.

i'v just never seen any tubs with day lights, just heat matts and heat cords.

do you mean lights in the tubs or just a room light?

also do you have pics am interested.

I created this overview for me as a reference. This is just in relation to pythons as that is all I primarily deal with.
Mods: Feel free to delete if mods dont want it here.

Attachments

• RC_CoP feedback.pdf
    983.3 KB · Views: 66
PuraChips Professional Aspen Bedding anyone :lol:

I was actually quite surprised when reading this, as opposed to the original draft, I dont see an issue with these enclosure sizes for pythons.

In relation to fines... Be interesting to see if that is a one off $3000 fine or a $3000 fine per each breach of non-compliance. Expensive exercise if you have a bank of 4 enclosures undersize.

considering its only a $30000 fine for trying to smuggle reptiles into the country I doubt it would be per breach ;)

I created this overview for me as a reference. This is just in relation to pythons as that is all I primarily deal with.
Mods: Feel free to delete if mods dont want it here.
post#137 think it got missed in all the excitement

i'v just never seen any tubs with day lights, just heat matts and heat cords.

do you mean lights in the tubs or just a room light?

also do you have pics am interested.

No I dont have lights in the tubs but they can very easily get a day / night variation. I have daylight fluorescent globes attached to an industrial timer on the ceiling, and habistat sun switches connected to the heat cords. Therefore they also receive a temp variation in line with the day/nigh variation.

View attachment 286496

Am I off my head? Olive enclosure size 1.225(3.5) X 0.2(3.5) = 4.28 X 0.7?? and a Scrubbie 0.5(3.5) X 0.2(3.5) = 1.75 X 0.7....
Am I understanding this right or should I swap my olive for a scubbie?

Leigh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back