Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There is always easy to be critical of event. But extremely difficult and time consuming to organize one.
I think that all herp.hoby oriented people should thank to organizers and volunteers for all personal time they give to our herp enthusiast community.

Thank you

Let's all think of it this way:

Have you seen a better reptile expo in Vic? :lol: ;)

There were some gex there Andrew, you must have been one of the lucky ones that didn't have to listen to me talk about the cute geckos with big heads down at roy's stall :lol:.

We may well end up supplying name tags for the next expo...I think a lot of people wouldn't wear them but it could be nice to have the option there!

About this lack of animals other than snakes, Roy had quite a few lizard species in his cages behind the counter and on the table...just off the top of my head I remember seeing 2 diff species of geckos (I'm terrible with gex so no idea what they were lol), Bearded Dragons (adults and babies), a Lace Monitor, Ackies (I think) and I think maybe I saw some baby Black headed monitors but not 100% sure that's what they were lol. There was an adult Black headed monitor also. I also saw some smaller dragon species which looked like painteds or red barreds or something. And they had frogs as well. At Amazing Amazon they had at least one Sand Monitor and Up Market Pets had heaps of spiders, scorpions and centipedes! What else did ya want to see guys lol ;).

Just thought I would post John Weigel's Reply to the expo,

Meynies,

Let me take the opportunity to congratulate you, Kevin, Phil, Mark, and all the other people who contributed to taking the concept of a reptile keeping expo and getting a fantastic start for an annual event. The world is divided into 'doers' and 'non-doers', and you guys sure aren't in the second lot! The look on the faces of attendees said it all: you are definitely on the right track. The exhibitors were busy; it looked like Pailsie grabbed the ball with both hands and ran in the right direction - his display was vibrant. Ditto with Herp Trader and really all of the displays. I'm convinced that the crowds will grow dramatically with each annual event, and the scope (and polish) of the expo experience will grow accordingly. My guess is that next year you won't need to invite breeders to come along - they'll see the benefit of participating, or miss out on a valuable opportunity to promote themselves and sell their goods.

What impressed me more than anything else was the sparkle in the eyes of all the organisers I spoke to, when they talked about next year's gig. I think you are spot-on with the concept of bringing a national scope to the expo, and the idea of a federation of herp societies - all contributing to the growth of the thing, is a strategic lightening bolt. That could help bring in the element of a weekend-long expo, with four hours or so of talks from breeders during the evenings.

Once again, absolute congratulations all round - it was a huge success!

John

I can only agree with John. A friend and I flew from Newcastle for the weekend to see the Expo, and I thoroughly enjoyed myself. It was good to see so many herps available for sale, and the enthusiasm shown by the vendors was excellent, and from everything I heard, the information being imparted by vendors, about their animals and products, was first class. The venue was of a better scale than the Sydney one, which was really far too big - that's not a criticism of Sydney either - anyone who has the energy and motivation to push shows like these to fruition must be commended, the complexities would have been daunting in every respect.

Congrats on a great show, well worth the visit from northern NSW, and I certainly look forward to the next one.

Cheers, Jamie.

A big thanks to the V.H.S and all the organisers who put all the effort into making it happen. I think the expo was great for a first ever. There was plenty of animals for sale which is what i had thought the event was all about. I think each year just aim to get bigger. I was hoping there would be some interstate breeders or businesses there, Id say if any of them that aren't there next year they are bonkers. Just in the the 2 hours i was there , there seemed to be alot of reptiles bought and sold and probably twice as many follow up sales to come. Overall congratulations....
Stevo
Stevo

i thought it was great. The only complaint i have was towards the mid arvo i seen alot of people walking around with hatchie pythons around there hands and arms. this really disappointed me as it was sending out the idea that people could walk around anywhere with a python( remember there was alot of people there that had never owned a reptile). I think next year there should be harder rules enforced. As in all reptiles should not leave there enclosures or tubs unless it is being looked over by a buyer and after sold is it be bagged or back into a tub.
Other than that I did have a great day

I think it will be difficult for interstate breeders to be of any competition to the melbourne ones that do participate next expo, as with all the regulations set by the DEC's of each states it will be very expensive, if not completely illegal for interstate breeders to be able to show any of their stock on the tables. The advantage of being able to bring your stock and show every single one for sale to potential buyers is a huge advantage over only being able to bring the parents or even just photos. With all the rules the DEC's might impose, it might not seem worth it at all for interstaters. Where is the VHS going to stand on these possibilities?

Well congratulations all round from me to the all the VHS expo organisers! :D I thought it was a successful day. Great first expo, and it can only get better from here.

I was stoked to see the massive amythestine python, some albinos, and the little crock. Pretty stoked about Tara Moss too. Got her autograph and some photos with her holding my diamond python Sarah.

Well done and thanks again for all your hard work - it hasn't gone unnoticed and is appreciated by myself and many others!

Brilliant. Anything that gets the message out there that herpsare actually great pets and nothing to be feared has got to be good.

The kids loved it and nearly talked me into getting another animal. We can't wait until next year and wish to thank all the organiserswho put the hard yards in to bring it to us all.

There must have been a trilion meetings with the DSE and other conerned parties to ensure that it was run correctly. The result was well worth it but I do have one complaint. Why do we have to wait for next year? It's to far away. :cry:

By most of the comments it sounds like it was a success. So congrats to those that organised it, you obviously have done a great job. Wish I had been there to see it.

Like shamous has said, any message to the public about how great it is keep herps must be a good thing.

So, are there some more pics to be shown... :D:D:D

Sounds like it was a great day. Really sorry that I wasn't able to get down there to see it myself.

I reckon that anyone (or group of people) who have the dedication and motivation to organise such an event deserves nothing but praise and gratitude.

(oh and ps lacemonitor92, did you know that you can write more than 1 sentence per post.... :lol: )

beknluke said:
I think that I was one of the luckiest people there to be next to the HerpShop display!! I learned alot myself just by hearing Daavid talk lol! And Judy - I have never been so tempted to buy a book in my life!! The Complete Chondro is the next on my 'to buy' list! All I kept hearing was Daavids raving reveiws about it lol

Thanks Bex ;-)

Judy and I thoroughly enjoyed the day and manning the tables for Brian. I am with John Weigle in thinking it to be a pivotal moment in Australian herpetoculture. The next expo will be definitely be coming off a very firm base!

I actually reckon that the Maxwell's Complete Chondro book is one of the best herp books around for anybody interested in keeping pythons. Nobody who came to our tables that had read it dissagreed with me either ;-). ... and I devour herp books and believe that i have read most of the ones that have been published about Australian species in the last decade or so. (With a couple of exceptions... still kicking my self for not getting a copy of Matt Vincent's goanna book when it was in print.)

You may not have noticed but when people asked about the Rep-Cal bearded dragon food I tended to direct them to you as I have never kept beardies and did not feel qualified to answer some of the questions. After speaking to you they usually came back and bought a container of two ;-).

newtosnakes said:
(oh and ps lacemonitor92, did you know that you can write more than 1 sentence per post.... :lol: )

Hey Newtosnakes, leave him alone, he's just trying to get his post count up :lol: :wink:

Neil

Pails had a few lace monitors on his stand... beautiful looking ones at that!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back