Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TANN-MANN

Reaction score
Hey guys, just lookin for a bit of help with the lingo found on this site, as well as the
Pronunciation of scientific names...ie. morelia bredli...is it pronunced
Mor-el-ee-ah bred-lee.:?
just stuff like that to help me out and other newbies entering the site.
i know alot of the lingo comes from instant messaging such as lol = laugh out loud, not 'lucky old lady' as i've heard some people think 'lol'
but also things like MD's as murray darlings, or stimmies as stimsons pythons, BHP's as black headed pythons, etc etc.
Post as many as you can think of i'm sure myself and many others will find it useful especially the Pronunciations.:rolleyes:

Cheers
Andrew

Thanks heaps guys, the abreviations post makes things a whole lot easier, did it end up becomming a sumarised sticky, and if so where, i'd like to print it off and keep it handy.
as for the Pronunciations of scientific names side of things is there a similar thread?

cheers
Andrew

Tann mann - I think the pronunciation of scientific names is a great idea, don't know if this question has ever been asked before - I would be interested to know. Its like some fish pronunciations eg; Cichlids.

Yeah the scientific names can be real tongue twisters without some help, if this thread takes off i'll see if i can do a summary at the end and attach it as a adobe PDF doc for everyone to use:lol:

Scientific names

well since this thread is moving down the list...'bump'!!

I've compiled a list of scientific names, only pythons thus far, that i would like to know how to pronounce the scientific names correctly. fell free to add any other herps to the list. any contribution would be great. especially corrections. just type them how they sound.
cheers
Andrew:p

Scientific names: Common Names Pronounciations:

Antaresia childreni Children's Python
Antaresia maculosa spotted Python
Antaresia perthensis Pygmy Python
Antaresia stimsoni Stimson's Python
Aspidites melanocephalus Black-headed Python
Aspidites ramsayi Woma
Leiopython albertisii D'alberti's Python
Liasis fuscus Water Python
Liasis o. barroni Western Olive Python
Liasis o. olivaceus Olive Python
Morelia amethistina kinghorni Scrub Python
Morelia bredli Centralian Carpet Python
Morelia carinata Rough-scaled Python
Morelia oenpelliensis Oenpelli Rock Python
Morelia spilota cheynei Jungle Carpet python
Morelia spilota imbricata Southwestern Carpet Python
Morelia spilota mcdowelli Coastal Carpet Python
Morelia spilota metcalfei Inland Carpet Python
Morelia spilota spilota Diamond Python
Morelia spilota variegata Northwestern Carpet Python
Morelia viridis Green Tree Python

Well that kinda didn't work, i had it all set out in a table like format...i hate computers

what the hell is boi???

You are not an annoying little Canadian wannabe punk poser. (well maybe you are, i dont know) ;)But there is no such word as BOI.

Forgive my younger brother i think BOI is BOY, these kids lol, martyn don't forget to slash ur I's to make em Y's lol.
so yeah anyone wanna have a crack at some of these pronounciations, i can't even contemplate how some of them might even sound.

ha ha candian punk poser!?!?!? yeh right! "TANN-MANN" is supposed to be looking for a new house to live in! but unfortunatly like a good majority of us our day seems to widdle away on this site... as addictive as it is!
"boi" is slang that city pple don't seem to understand! and yes it stands for boy!.
brotherly love huh.
yeh bk to these pronounciation.
is it spil-ot-ar???
l8r
Martyn

They all sound exactly (or very close) to their latin names. Latin is an amazingly easy language to pronounce from the written word.

Its whittle, not widdle, People from the city?? don't understand redneck idiocy or inability to spell properly? We understand it all to well, we are just amazingly prejudiced against it.

Goddamn it. Buy a dictionary or at least put dictionary.com in favourites!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll do the pronounciations at some point when I've got the time.

And to answer the original question-

Morelia (more-EEL-ee-a)
bredli (bred-l-ee)

(Note: bred-l-ee is correct latin, bit most people - including scientists - incorrectly say bred-l-eye. nad many herpers say bred-lee, which is close but still wrong).

:p

Hix

redneck huh.
i'm not starting this thread to make enemies or arguments, so i think that was a little uncalled for.
and a sense of humour wouldn't go astray, as for the spelling, well the australian education system isn't on the best funding, and who cares about spelling anyway we all know what we are trying to say without getting out underpants in a knot.
I starting this thread as s source of help and understanding, and yes thankyou for helping out a little bit, i did understand that the scientific names are of latin decent. but i was wanting to have them broken down for a more thorough understanding, of which i think many of the junior members will benefit from greatly.
so in future please keep your redneck comments to your self, just because people live in rural areas doesn't mean out mothers fathers our grandson. without us your supermarkets would be either full of tasteless imported products or nothing at all.
back to the pronunciations....

I'll do the pronounciations at some point when I've got the time.

And to answer the original question-

Morelia (more-EEL-ee-a)
bredli (bred-l-ee)

(Note: bred-l-ee is correct latin, bit most people - including scientists - incorrectly say bred-l-eye. nad many herpers say bred-lee, which is close but still wrong).

:p

Hix

thanks hix, although don't go out of your way to do the whole list, i'm sure there will be many members to help out, but cheers anyway, the bedli has had me confused for a while because i've heard it said so many different ways.:D

"mothers fathers our grandson. " You make no sense here. Punctuation and grammar may make this phrase capable of being comprehended, but until you add it, you just sound like a dumb hick.
By adding punctuation and sentences, the large block of gibberish you just produced would be far easier to decipher. You have a spell checker on your computer, i can sense it from here, dont give me the rubbish that the Australian education system is to blame, i came through the public education system, i have no issues with communication.

There is a search function within the site, and this feature allows you to SEARCH the site for the information you have requested. Its much easier than asking everyone to repost for you. You could try the internet for latin name pronunciation assistance, as many sites exist out there.

You so aptly described yourself as redneck when you claimed that city people don't understand idiotic, lazy and useless spelling creations like BOI. (BTW its ripped directly from an avril lavigne song if my memory for tacky pop idiocy serves me correctly, Sk8r BOI) Thats how lame it is. It almost verges on country music level.

The funny thing about spelling is that you may know what you are talking about - i emphasise may - but if you cannot make other people understand, then the communication has been pointless and a waste of everyones time.

junglist* don't bother replying to any more within this thread you obviously do not want to help out and are just looking for someone to argue with.
The comment about the father mother grandson thing, wasn't supposed to make any sense, i was merely making a point, but obviously you couldn't comprehend, punctuation or no punctuation. i was making a point that I am no redneck nor hick. i am a human being just like everyone else...no inbreeding, 5 fingers on each hand, etc, but you can't understand that either.
yes boi is from a song, but since when is that a crime.
as for the search function, I have done extensive searches on many forums and throughout the web, while I may stumble across the odd pronunciation, i was hoping to compile a list for the benefit of others...you know not being selfish. This i believe is also a safer option, as from experience the internet, while being a wealth of information is not always correct.
Apart from searching, i thought if i was to start a thread on it, at least other members can correct these if they are wrong, as i'm sure there are not just collectors here, but very knowledgable scientists.
I was not the one to criticize city people, it was my younger brother, who is a teenager, they use slang...its very common, city or no city...i can't believe this started over a song lyric...grow up, 'city people' he was just mucking around, both myself and my brother have nothing against people that live in the city, and i don't know why you are taking a joke so personally. I think your the one with the prejudice against people who don't live in the city.
this is not the place for this idiotic and petty argument. incase you didn't realise this thread was asking for 'help' not 'bring it on' oops sorry thats a movie can i quote that?
If you wish to continue this debate in a mature fashion then PM or email me, as there are some people that may genuinely want to read this thread for what its about.
If there are any spelling mistakes i do apologize, however i have used a spell check.:|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back