Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Seeing the pic of the Diamond and Jungle together helped me realize what an immature bunch of wannabes you really are.
No wonder people say we are 20 years behind the yanks, I can see now you are even further than that. Pure line breeders are actually 20 years in front of the yanks :lol:
What do you actually hope to achieve? It is pretty well proven that it is quite an ugly cross with very little 'super morph' potential.

Enjoy playing catch up to the yanks, you do have a long way to go, then again as most of you have never bred anything - chances are you still wont be able to sell your cross breeds, Ya gotta prove yourselves as actual breeders in the hobby first :D

Ya got nothing but smoke and mirrors atm, :lol:

Come back when you have achieved something slightly remarkable :lol: well apart from your smuggling skills :D

I was answering the post above referring to the amount of wild caught reptiles in America which like many was uninformed and inaccurate.

Boa
Wild caught aren't as popular anymore ? how on earth do you conclude that ?
Some of our wild caught reptiles have never been so much in demand, or are you just referring to the overseas situation ?

Seeing the pic of the Diamond and Jungle together helped me realize what an immature bunch of wannabes you really are.
No wonder people say we are 20 years behind the yanks, I can see now you are even further than that. Pure line breeders are actually 20 years in front of the yanks :lol:
What do you actually hope to achieve? It is pretty well proven that it is quite an ugly cross with very little 'super morph' potential.

Enjoy playing catch up to the yanks, you do have a long way to go, then again as most of you have never bred anything - chances are you still wont be able to sell your cross breeds, Ya gotta prove yourselves as actual breeders in the hobby first :D

Ya got nothing but smoke and mirrors atm, :lol:

Come back when you have achieved something slightly remarkable :lol: well apart from your smuggling skills :D

Stop giving the Yanks all the credit - you will find that the majority of the better morelia morphs were from mainland Europe..

Moreliaman,-
as I said have "little" to no acsess to morelia sub-species. I few smuggled animals in a few counties is not a large gene pool to have acsess too

The trade in endangered species / general wildlife smuggling is second only to the drugs trade - I think you underestimate the scale of it.

The rewards are extremely high and the penalties are miniscule - your country is one of the very few who actually take the problem with any seriousness and dishes out some of the higher penalties for smuggling. Over here if you got caught you might just get the snakes confiscated and get a summons which will ultimately lead to a suspended sentence but most likely you would get just a small fine!

diamondgeeza,-
Yes that is most likely true, but with the huge amount of keepers in europe and the states it still would not supply a very large gene pool compared to here. Only a small percentage of keepers over there would have acsess to them.

Stop giving the Yanks all the credit - you will find that the majority of the better morelia morphs were from mainland Europe..

It seems my knowledge of your herp scene is on a par with what you know about ours :lol:
And just as relevant :)

You must be right true, after all you visit the shows every year dont you !!! , As diamongeezer has already pointed out, just the same as the amount customs find going in & out of your country every year, whats offered for sale is only a tiny fraction of what people have, both the reptile markets here in europe and america dwarf the australian one !

All due respect.....Stop sticking yer head in the sand mate. Almost feels like people are having sour grapes just because we have australian herps over here.

Last edited:
Going by the number of e-mails from overseas regularly I receive, it is clear that our wild caught reptiles are in demand all over the world, but there is nothing really surprising about that.
As for designer snakes go, I have nothing against them as long as they are bred within the boundaries of the same species and I know that for many the species validity is arguable.

I will also say that if the odd sub-species accidentally got in to a population of the same genus, over long periods of time (and again because they would share ancestral traits),
the visual evidence would eventually disappear and solely on that bench mark ( which most humans appeal to), one would have to question the real harm, which I think by the way, is no big deal.

For those that argue that by sticking to this stance creates specimens that do not represent what could occur in the wild, I doubt this would be the case as the genetic cocktail was always there in the first place and stems from shared ancestral traits. We only ever see the most minuscule percentage imaginable of a wild population to judge in the first place what amazing looking critters are out there. I will add that I personally have not seen any specimen line bred that looks any better than what I have seen in the wild in the past. The exception would be Nick Stocks ghost Darwin’s, but I would guarantee that there would be examples similar in the wild at some point.
Some have argued that if people are indeed seeing the occasional tri-colour or what ever that there would be more pics to see as proof. This is plain and simple rubbish, years ago digital cameras were not owned by the average person (unlike today). I spend
7 months a years herping and rarely ever take my camera along with me. I used to own an absolutely stunning jungle python that the QLD fauna police claimed was the most amazing looking python that they had ever laid eyes upon in their career, yet again there is no pics ( yes I regret my slackness ).
These days with the popularity of owning digital cameras, we are likely to see a lot more special pics of Australia’s amazing reptiles in the near future.

Boa
Yeah, I thought you must of been talking about overseas but I am still interested in how you came to your conclusion, I know very little about the overseas scene.

Jet1
Some very isolated and rare populations of reptiles inbreed to some degree e.g. Bigge island, a very small Island off the Kimberley coast. D.E.C completed a fauna survey and failed to turn up a single rough scaled python, even though we know they exist there.
The population there would still be deemed as both natural and pure. I am not quite sure if you are thinking that albinism is a natural occurrence as you placed a question mark at the end of your sentence. Just to clarify this, they are.

A well worded polite post Dave. I think it's fairly common knowledge that wild caught reptiles in all major markets are far less common than they used to be, years ago probably 90% of reptiles in the market would have been quite literally straight out of the wild, now with practically all species being bred in large numbers CB are obviously more popular. When I used to keep in the UK many years ago virtually the only choice would have been WC, everything from chameleons, Boas, Iguanas etc but over the years these species are all bred commonly in captivity which has reduced the pressure on wild populations.Of course WC are still available especially with new species to the market but within a couple of years these too will become more and more commonly available as CB animals.

Boa
Yeah, I thought you must of been talking about overseas but I am still interested in how you came to your conclusion, I know very little about the overseas scene.

You're not wrong there, some very funny comments indeed.

If the animals that you're trying to pass off here as above board and legal really were both then you wouldn't have to go to such lengths to keep your identity hidden. You're not furthering your cause by creating vague nonsense threats against people who have at least the integrity to put their name to their animals. In fact, you're making yourself and your "friends" look more ridiculous and gutless by the second :lol:

Please keep this thread adult.
Any name calling and general nastiness and it will be closed, for good.

The power of the people!
Now where was I?
Ah yes, Rob. I think I was about to abuse you, or was it your turn to abuse me?:)

Attachments

• 5R92ECA2ZUSWPCAJM2EF5CA6Z6O8NCAXARKF4CAG72ZCOCA123SM0CA8JQVIVCA477EKACA2POK5ICAJHP0C2CATBHX3SCAY.jpg
    5R92ECA2ZUSWPCAJM2EF5CA6Z6O8NCAXARKF4CAG72ZCOCA123SM0CA8JQVIVCA477EKACA2POK5ICAJHP0C2CATBHX3SCAY.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 273
Last edited:
Lets get back to the debate and keep it on topic, which by the way is one of the rules ;) Things seem to be headding off on another tangent.

I for one am not a fan of hybrids although i realise it is happening.
It just means you have to be more selective of who you buy from.
The certificates mentioned seems like a good idea. They would have to be ones that are not easily forged & what would happen if ownership of the snake changes, pics of the snake on the certificates maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back