Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok on topic;)i like hybrids everybody wins the snakes get lucky and you get free snakes whats not to like:)

When I 1st got my license (Qld), it states that different species cannot be intentionally cross bred, so I guess this is how you can get away with it?
Just say you put them in a tub together while cleaning their enclosures, and bam, next thing you know you have eggs? Didn't mean to, and then you would obviously have to right this down in your record book? What would you put them down as? No common name or scientific?
I have read through a lot of this, but 40 odd pages is a bit much right now, so if this has already been asked, sorry.

Another quick question, hybrid elapids?
I would NEVER go near this, just interested to know, is it possible like it is with diff. python species?

I think if they had a scientific and/or common name then people wouldent hate them so much and remember most dog breeds are hybrids but you give them a name and everybody loves them:)

For the 1000th time dogs are one and the same species, there is no such thing as a hybrid in dogs. Stop comparing them to reptiles in the matter of hybrids.

I think they just write them off as morelia spilota.

In NSW some hybrids have been given their own code, but i think thats more to keep them on the books and stop people keeping them legally off licence like they did with hybrid birds.

As it was explained to me:
When people started hybridising birds they had no codes for the hybrids and nothing in the licencing rules to keep them on the books thus there was a loophole for people to keep breed and sell them off licence.

This way, if they are given codes of their own, parks can keep an eye on whats where and not loose out on the extra revenue if people were able to keep hybrids off licence.

For the 1000th time dogs are one and the same species, there is no such thing as a hybrid in dogs. Stop comparing them to reptiles in the matter of hybrids.

Ive been thinking about that. People are always comparing them to dogs, would it be more appropriate to compare them to say something like fish?
A bit like crossing a goldfish with a cichlid or a silver shark with a betta?

If not, its just my late night deleruim, ignore it :lol: :p

I, like so many others, have have been watching this thread since it's inception. Wow, who needs to watch 'Home and Away'!

I'd like to refer back to the only thread IMO that represents a fair and balanced view to the actual divisions on the lines of to hybrid or not to hybrid. The sticky post poll from NCHERPS at the top of the Australian Snakes section.

The poll is still open and the numbers say it all:

513 votes.
49.71% against crossing.
50.29% for crossing.

Thankyou everyone for voting. We have come so far in such a short amount of time together. When logic is on your side, it's only ever a matter of time before you prevail. To Vixen and TrueBlue thankyou for putting up such a spirited defence in the face of such overwhelming arguements against you. Your token stance as devils advocate helped keep this alive. To all our supporters who have picked us up when we felt so down this is for you, for all of you. Now, let us all move forward together. Provided no laws are being broken you now have the majority of APS members supporting your right to freedom of choice.

do you not care about your animals? its unnatural and disgraceful im sure all of this goes over your head, but imo anyone who breeds hybrids doesnt love reptiles for what they really are, go find another hobby.

and ps: i dont understand what anyone sees in hybrids, i dont find them attractive at all, i dont know whether this just me, but you cross a beautifully high yellow diamond with a gorgeous jungle and you end up with what looks like a different coloured coastal...

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all, these pics are of siblings to the parents of the yellow cloured reduced pattern animals in the first post, I am really bad with cameras and computers so the pics aren't great, the first animal traces back to the Murray Falls area and is fairly indicative of what the mother looked like except for the fact that the photo has washed alot of colour out, the second is very similar to the father and as you can see is mcdowelli with reduced black and reduced pattern and in the fleshi s very lemon yellow in colour. Hope these help and hope they work

So these are offsprings of hybrids?
I've seen plenty of wild ones that look identical, here's an example, not the best one iv seen, but didn't get any pics of the others

Attachments

• Picture 229.jpg
    Picture 229.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 92
  • Picture 231.jpg
    Picture 231.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 97
do you not care about your animals? its unnatural and disgraceful im sure all of this goes over your head, but imo anyone who breeds hybrids doesnt love reptiles for what they really are, go find another hobby.

and ps: i dont understand what anyone sees in hybrids, i dont find them attractive at all, i dont know whether this just me, but you cross a beautifully high yellow diamond with a gorgeous jungle and you end up with what looks like a different coloured coastal...

Your an angry little man aren't you!:lol:

Yes dogs are the same species and so are morelias but diffrent dogs were breed to give the looks and characteristics of two dogs into one dog and thats how we get most of the dog species of today (look it up if you don't believe me)and sorry if i repeated anything but theres over 600 posts give me a break:?

Fatfrog, You may have to check your understanding of the use of name Morelia again please. Morelia is the Genus Name as Canis is to dog. I would suggest looking up this in google to update your information.

people are so funny.
As with everything in life people have different opinions on everything and yet we all have to get along (in general) People just need to stop resorting to name calling and soapboxing and just stick to what they like.
I personally like morphs, but not so much hybrids, yet I am not on the internet wasting my time trying to convince people the grass is greener on my side......
Honestly it is like trying to convert someone from Holden to Ford, or Qld to NSW, it just aint going to happen people!

how about talking about the actual reptiles???? weird I know!

LOL

Even if you only only consider hybrids to be things crossed that have differant names (which demostrates a poor understand of the word) a dingo X domestic is still a Intraspecific hybrid. Crossing carpet pythons is comaprable to crossing dogs, sometimes it can create something desirable(atleast to some), but those bred randomly are often unwanted and given away or killed. I also think there is more variation in domestic dogs than there is in the carpets pythons that likely to be lumped together in the future. Also taxonomists are only really just starting to find out or decide what a subspieces actually is IMO, to actually classfiy animals properly into clear cut groups is extremely hard to do and wont be accurately done for a long time. The thing that needs to be accepted is that if we are going to continue keeping reptiles in captivity they will become domesticated and the only reason for keeping them pure (most dont even understand what that requires) in most cases is for sentimental reasons, just like some dog breeders dont like cross breeds some reptile breeders dont like them either.

I dont think you can say they don't care about thier animals that isn't really fair. Is it natural to keep a snake in a cage? Is it natural to take your snake and handle it? Is it natural to selectively line breed? I think you get my point and to say that there aren't any good looking hybrids is a bit silly. I myself wouldn't breed any hybrids and not sure if I would everykeep one but to say they are all ugly because you dont like how they were made is a joke. Just my opinion.

Even if you only only consider hybrids to be things crossed that have differant names (which demostrates a poor understand of the word) a dingo X domestic is still a Intraspecific hybrid. Crossing carpet pythons is comaprable to crossing dogs, sometimes it can create something desirable(atleast to some), but those bred randomly are often unwanted and given away or killed. I also think there is more variation in domestic dogs than there is in the carpets pythons that likely to be lumped together in the future. Also taxonomists are only really just starting to find out or decide what a subspieces actually is IMO, to actually classfiy animals properly into clear cut groups is extremely hard to do and wont be accurately done for a long time. The thing that needs to be accepted is that if we are going to continue keeping reptiles in captivity they will become domesticated and the only reason for keeping them pure (most dont even understand what that requires) in most cases is for sentimental reasons, just like some dog breeders dont like cross breeds some reptile breeders dont like them either.

Dingos are a different species to dogs so yes that WOULD be a hybrid. A dog x dog no matter what the breed is still the same species.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back