Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wild caught are not very popular anymore and with the numbers of almost all species being bred in captivity are much less common than they used to be even 10 years ago.

I, like so many others, have have been watching this thread since it's inception. Wow, who needs to watch 'Home and Away'!

I'd like to refer back to the only thread IMO that represents a fair and balanced view to the actual divisions on the lines of to hybrid or not to hybrid. The sticky post poll from NCHERPS at the top of the Australian Snakes section.

The poll is still open and the numbers say it all:

513 votes.
49.71% against crossing.
50.29% for crossing.

Thankyou everyone for voting. We have come so far in such a short amount of time together. When logic is on your side, it's only ever a matter of time before you prevail. To Vixen and TrueBlue thankyou for putting up such a spirited defence in the face of such overwhelming arguements against you. Your token stance as devils advocate helped keep this alive. To all our supporters who have picked us up when we felt so down this is for you, for all of you. Now, let us all move forward together. Provided no laws are being broken you now have the majority of APS members supporting your right to freedom of choice.

Attachments

• 22_n_deal_2107_430xx.jpg
    22_n_deal_2107_430xx.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 27
  • 06052008_baghead.jpg
    06052008_baghead.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 49
  • Churchill.jpg
    Churchill.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 23
  • hillarypeacesigndx0.jpg
    hillarypeacesigndx0.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 24
  • medium_PAUL.jpg
    medium_PAUL.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 23
Where is the poll to vote?
A few sit ups wouldn't go astray

PMSL :lol::lol:

I have noticed too, following the various polls put up, that those for crosses and such do indeed outnumber those against, only by a small margin, but a margin none-the-less.
Mostly interesting to me because reading most posts and arguments, I'd have thought closer to 80% were dead opposed to hybrids.

I guess they just shout louder than those who aren't against it. A vocal minority? ;)

More pics of Jags to be sold as "hybrid's"...
Boring....Bring on the pure locale specific morphs!!

Finally, some new photo's. Hope like this line. I had hoped to post them before now but some people don't really get these new fangled gadgets.

This answers your query too qldmorelia.
Anybody that thinks hypo coastals, " striped " coastals and jungles are not relatively common in the wild really does need to get out more or open their eyes. And thats a fact.!!
So nick in your vast herping experiance, of a handful of years, you have never seen a wild " striped " carpet or jungle.??

A Wild tri-stripe coastal (cant remember but im sure the lines were unbroken) found in bli bli sunshine coast about 4 years ago.

and i have seen a hell of a lot of wild hypo's and different striped coastals getting around. Not stirring anything thing but Rob is right

Attachments

• MVC-661S.jpg
    MVC-661S.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 153
nice snake........do not no about the hybrid though lol.........

Boa
Wild caught aren't as popular anymore ? how on earth do you conclude that ?
Some of our wild caught reptiles have never been so much in demand, or are you just referring to the overseas situation ?
jet1
Since when does inbreeding mean a species is know longer pure ? Try tell that to the Tasmanians ( joking ).
Please keep it real folks, dribble is starting to ruin this thread.

Last edited:
We keep having these threads come up because this is one of the major issues along with exotics that reptile people in this country at this time want and really should keep talking about. People change their minds either way as this is more openly talked about and their understanding of the issues at hand develops. I imagine this will be the case for some time.

Mmm. what a read... this an old conversation old(but new) rep. aust mag isssue. i know i'm heaps late, but i only just bought it today. i really think (and i'll say it again) this is the future in herps. get used to it or get rich avoiding it. I love the devide.. and i really love the reduced patten, scaleless,two headed,carpondros,.. ect. show me your freaks... i'll probably never own one...

here's mine red bellied x spotted black

jamies 010.jpgjamies 017.jpgred belliedxspotted black 001.jpgphotos of parents and one juvenile the rest of the litter was crap so i release them but its ok we get both here in the wild.

Good way to win an arguement Nick, well try, by picking on a mis-spelled word. Everything you said is incorrect Rob because of the extra p.

Kris.

If groups of people need to put a bag on their head (as funny as it is) just to have a discussion about hybrids, I have dificulty understanding how people will find the courage to be honest about their hybrids when it comes time to selling them.

Hi Pilbara pythons,
my apologies for not keeping it real....and we could debate the definition of pure till we are blue in the face. It just appears to me that the whole crossing/hybrid/ purity debate seems to centre around genetics and maintaining genetic integrity to ensure a snake is "pure" (whatever that means) in some way.My comment question was trying to find out why it seems unacceptable to breed (cross) say a BHP from different states yet it seems more than acceptable to continually inbreed (as I said, often brother-sister) a morph like albino carpets just because it is still top end carpet.........it might have three heads but its still pure, ready to re release any time you like because albinism is a naturally occurring trait you know???:)

For a start most of the hybrid breeding countries have little to no acsess to pure morelia sub-species hence the amonunt of crossing etc.

Sorry mate, but thats slightly incorrect, last visit to germany i saw about 3-4 pure morelia sub species & many of them didnt mind admiting they'd been sent over from australia.

To add, its not just australia that has keepers who prefer to keep pure lines & dont like interspecific hybrids !

Last edited:
Would love to know what the first one (and its siblings) got sold to you as! If the second was sold as a MD!:shock:

(P.S. For those who can't be stuffed looking for the post to see the pics again, or those who missed it... its post #397 http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/1368548-post397 )

Exactly, krefft being sold that snake as an MD is proof its happening and there is no honesty! Krefft also states that he will be breeding it with something, be it a pure snake or a hybrid...hence the "unsuspecting buyer" aka krefft in this case, is going to breed it and the cycle will continue...:? Krefft may be selling them for what they are, but who is to say that the next person will do the same? There are too many dishonest people in this world to ensure it happens...

....the 2nd snake wasn't sold to me as an MD. If you read back through the message I said it was given to me. The person who had it knew nothing about snakes.....obviously. The point i was trying make (badly it seems) was that the horse has well and truely bolted. The assumption for captive carpets should be that they are all crosses, rather than relying on what we're told they are.

re Some

This is why i like APS,problem with hybrids including jags is that some look awsum in a clutch but the majority are ordinary looking slags that fit nowhere comfortably,you ownley get shown the good ones,the others are passed on as a species or type they most likely represent in the imagination of the inventor (breeder).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back