Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
WooHoo - Pinkie got it. The common tree snake or as we used to call it the green tree snake, which is a lousy name as you normally see it on the ground and is only occasionally green. The black morph with a white belly sounds interesting. I wonder just how many color morphs this animal has (NOTE : that is not the question). I have another morph question but I might save it for later

Alexander 1
b.Wattso 3
saikrett 1
Pinkie 2
Switch 2
Reptile Rascals 1
Brodie 1
Everyone else 0

QWhich goanna species has the most southern most population?

SnakeHunter got it. According to cogger the animal is found as far south as Wilsons Prom, the southern most part of mainland Australia

Alexander 1
b.Wattso 3
saikrett 1
Pinkie 2
Switch 2
Reptile Rascals 1
Brodie 1
SnakeHunter 1
Everyone else 0

Q What is the only species of goanna found on Kangaroo Island? (HINT : it is not the Lace Monitor)

Point to Morelia man. Six minutes between question and answer. Looks like you guys deserve a harder question.

Alexander 1
Wattso 3
saikrett 1
Pinkie 2
Switch 2
Reptile Rascals 1
Brodie 1
SnakeHunter 1
Morelia man 1
Everyone else 0

Q The rosenbergs goanna has a behavioral adaption that allows it to breed in the cold of KI. What is it?

forget that last comment....
the rosenbergs goannas lay their eggs in termite mounds which acts as a sort of natural incubator, keeping the eggs at the perfect temperature.

Ackie got the question mostly right so he can score the point. According to Ehmann (Aust Museum) The eggs generally don't hatch until exposed to sun. The hypothesis is that the young cannot dig themselves out of the termite mounds and require being dug out by a gravid female.

Alexander 1
Wattso 3
saikrett 1
Pinkie 2
Switch 2
Reptile Rascals 1
Brodie 1
SnakeHunter 1
Morelia man 1
ackie 1
Everyone else 0
This is the last question for tonight and its a hard one! I'll give two points .
Q The morph question. I first went to the Girraween National Park near Stanthorpe on the QLD/NSW border about four years ago. The park has these large granite monoliths with are fairly major climbs. The rocks near the camp site are called the pyramids and take about three hours to climb. Near the tops of these monoliths live colonies of Cunningham's Skink Egernia cunninghami . These are a spectacular morph and I would really like a (leagally obtained) pair. I think they are called the New england morph. Can anyone tell me the head color of this animal?

orange/red ..its sunburn! lol....nah too hard mate!

my cunninghams is a new england tablelands one. Its has a browny black head with a few orange blotches

I would have said bronze or gold but orange/red/sunburn is close enough, wattso scores. There is a couple of photos here -> http://150.101.58.70/thumbnails.php?id=Skink_Cunninghams_Skink&num=02 . Is that animal the new england morph? If anyone visits the park, these skinks are really easy to find

Alexander 1
Wattso 5
saikrett 1
Pinkie 2
Switch 2
Reptile Rascals 1
Brodie 1
SnakeHunter 1
Morelia man 1
ackie 1
Everyone else 0

QI have seen heaps of keelbacks Tropidonophis marii in the wild but are careful with them and treat them as vemonous snakes. Why?

They can be difficult to accuratly distinguish from T.Carinatus which is venomous and lethal.[appearance can be very close] They have a habit of thrashing about when caught and can lose the tail like somelizards. Incidently they can eat cane toads with no ill effect!

wattso scores again. You can turn the snake upside down and check the sub caudal scales. the Keelback has divided (ie. 2 side by side scales) while the rough scale T.Carinatus has undivided scales. This is not a recommended thing to do with possibly vemonous snakes and is proberly not the way to have a long and happy childhood.

Alexander 1
Wattso 6
saikrett 1
Pinkie 2
Switch 2
Reptile Rascals 1
Brodie 1
SnakeHunter 1
Morelia man 1
ackie 1
Everyone else 0

Q what is really weird about the Fitzroy turtle Rheodytes leukops ? And I mean really weird!

It can breath thru its cloaca [bum] lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back